TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Freshfields AC! My first ever so I’m rly anxious. I feel like I have insufficient commercial knowledge and that it would be an issue esp in the analytical interview 😓 Any advice/resources on how I can brush up on everything, including the basics (bc what are counted as the commercial basics that I must know?)? The AC is in two weeks time.

OH MY GOD just got FF AC invite??
I literally did the WG yesterday??
appreciate any tips on FF AC!!! 😭

Hi @rayemuse and @YUKI1201,

This is fantastic news. Congratulations for getting progressed to interview!

So first thing I would do is check out this post. It has a compilation of links which are useful for ACs in general. In particular, I would check out @Jacob Miller's articles (linked). These are invaluable(!).

In terms of more specific information about the FFs interview, I know @WannabeSolicitor24 has completed their interview, so it might be worth messaging them.

I believe that there is an article discussion involved. This post might be useful preparation specifically for article interviews.

I have been told the interviewers can question you on key commercial, or other teminology too. So try to identify key words in the article that you are given and have a think a. about what it means and b. how this concept/term can become important/useful in a commercial context.

I hope that helps! I am always happy to help.

Do let me know too when you find out 🙌

Hi all, just out of curiosity, if you have two summer VS and you receive a TC after the first scheme, are you allowed to still participate in the VS at another firm and decide to accept/decline the TC offer afterwards?

I would advise speaking with the firm and being completely upfront about it. Be clear with your reasoning (e.g., money, experience, wish to make an informed decision). It is risky completing a vacation scheme after accepting a training contract offer.

The firms that I completed vacation schemes with explicitly required me to confirm that I had not accepted a TC elsewhere. It might also be deemed dishonest if you have accepted with one firm, but do a vacation scheme with another after accepting. Doing it without being honest seems like a very risky option with little upside.

Hypothetical question:

In the fortunate situation that one gets offered several vacation scheme offers and it ends up that they overlap ( eg. one is 1 july - 20 July and the other one is 17 july - 30 july), is there any alternative or is the only solution available to do just one of them?

Can you for example ask GR to do a Spring Scheme instead of SVS for one of them or would that be innappropriate?

Follow up questions
As ACs and responses after ACs come at different times for different firms, and let's say one gets a SVS offer and chooses a date for it. Then one does a later AC and gets another SVS and the dates overlap and one wants to do the second SVS more, are there any consequences if one cancels the first SVS?

Is a SVS offer without actually doing the SVS still something to put on your CV / LinkedIn?

Any guidance for this hypothetical situation would be much appreciated

Hi @pizzamalia,

Wow! Well done for getting several vacation scheme offers!

If I were you, I would ask your less preferred firm, whether you can transfer to one of their other vacation schemes (the earlier the better as with notice this is more likely than if you ask last minute). If they say no, you could even ask your preferred firm the same question. You will not be rejected/have your offer reneged for asking whether it is possible to change dates, it is a completely fair question. Personally, I think you are entitled to seek as much information as you can from both firms to make the best decision for your future.

If both firms say it is not possible, then you will have to choose your preferred firm unfortunately.

With regards to your second question, I would do what is best for you. Some people drop out because they have completed and have accepted training contract elsewhere (as well as for other reasons).

Hi George,

Thank you for this. It is for their summer vacation scheme.

Hi @art,

I would check out the posts that I have listed above in reply to @rayemuse and @YUKI1201.

Do reach out if I can help in any other way too!

HSF AC!! 🤯🤯 This is my first post here but I've been keeping up with these threads for a few months now and all of the advice and support given by everyone here has been amazing to see :) I've definitely used some of the advice given in my own applications so for that I'm really thankful to everyone here!!

(..and on a side note if anyone has any HSF-specific/commercial awareness/general AC advice I would be extremely grateful as this will be my first one ever!!)

Hey @Giovanna!

I am really pleased for you. HSF is a fantastic firm!

I listed my biggest tips for HSF's AC here. I would also suggest checking out the general AC tips I list earlier in this post.

I hope that helps :)

Hi! Does anyone have experience with Kirkland & Ellis AC? Would be much appreciated please!

Hey @YJ,

I am unsure whether it is the same format as when I did it (online last year). What have you been told so far? I just want to make sure I am not giving incorrect advice as it may well have changed since I did it!

Does anyone have tips regarding how to nail competency questions in video interviews? I always just end up waffling and giving long winded answers..... i dont know how to pass the video interview stage lol

Hi @LSELawsolicitor,

Agreed these are tough. It sounds like you could really benefit from adopting a clear structure in your answers.

This and this post might be help.

Always here to answer any follow-ups!

a firm has offered me a VS and asked me to confirm Scheme Dates 1. What if i get another offer from a firm that runs at the exact same time, would I be able to change to Scheme Dates 2 at the first firm? @Jessica Booker
Hi @thelovelygiraffe,

The advice that I gave @pizzamalia above might be useful in this situation.

I am very happy to answer any other questions you might have on this if it would be helpful :)

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    I think no one who received the holding email has heard anything yet. I guess they are just waiting to mass eliminate us together 😅 Can't see any silver lining from this waiting given the first AC slot is taking place in 4 days I believe???
    I'll copy and paste my post on the Reed Smith interview forum page to perhaps give some optimism:

No one has heard anything regarding summer ACs on the forum from what I can gather; myself included.

I’ve either been PFOd or they just genuinely haven’t given out summer spaces yet. Time will tell as they promised us that we’d find out by the end of this week.

Whilst this is only creating more and more riddles for us Summer schemers… We know that the dates for spring/summer ACs are the same.

We know that ‘If you are successful in progressing to the next stage, the dates of the case study interviews will be held in the AM and PM of the below dates.’ From the original holding email that we received

The most probable, and perhaps optimistic, guess that I can conjure up is that the slots that you see available are purely for the spring AC, which will be held in the AM, and that us summer schemers will be held in the PM, or vice versa, with entirely separate slots on the same days.

Ive come to this conclusion since it doesn’t look like you can choose between AM or PM, but please; let me know if you can!

If I am in fact correct, then call me Sherlock Holmes. If not, then I give up trying to predict the often unfathomable and mystical patterns that surround graduate recruitment, which is probably the most healthy thing for me to do at this point anyway 🥲.

But I agree, the first AC being so soon is intriguing at the very least and makes me question everything.

elizabeth_98

Distinguished Member
    Oct 13, 2020
    I'll copy and paste my post on the Reed Smith interview forum page to perhaps give some optimism:

No one has heard anything regarding summer ACs on the forum from what I can gather; myself included.

I’ve either been PFOd or they just genuinely haven’t given out summer spaces yet. Time will tell as they promised us that we’d find out by the end of this week.

Whilst this is only creating more and more riddles for us Summer schemers… We know that the dates for spring/summer ACs are the same.

We know that ‘If you are successful in progressing to the next stage, the dates of the case study interviews will be held in the AM and PM of the below dates.’ From the original holding email that we received

The most probable, and perhaps optimistic, guess that I can conjure up is that the slots that you see available are purely for the spring AC, which will be held in the AM, and that us summer schemers will be held in the PM, or vice versa, with entirely separate slots on the same days.

Ive come to this conclusion since it doesn’t look like you can choose between AM or PM, but please; let me know if you can!

If I am in fact correct, then call me Sherlock Holmes. If not, then I give up trying to predict the often unfathomable and mystical patterns that surround graduate recruitment, which is probably the most healthy thing for me to do at this point anyway 🥲.

But I agree, the first AC being so soon is intriguing at the very least and makes me question everything.
    I do think you may be correct in them giving out ACs to spring applicants first but I was able to choose between am and pm for each day

AW_08

Valued Member
    Dec 20, 2019

I've sent them an email to ask for an update on my application/check whether they received my VI as I haven't received any holding emails since submitting last month!

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    I've sent them an email to ask for an update on my application/check whether they received my VI as I haven't received any holding emails since submitting last month!
    Keep us updated! I kinda have a feeling we will hear back this evening.

Let's hope that there are separate spaces for spring/summer as @elizabeth_98 's portal only showed 5 slots left!

John Doe

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 18, 2021
    Keep us updated! I kinda have a feeling we will hear back this evening.

Let's hope that there are separate spaces for spring/summer as @elizabeth_98 's portal only showed 5 slots left!
    Well, it's either going to be a surprise invitation or a dramatic send-off with a bang. Either way, let's buckle up and hope for the best 🥂

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.