TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I was wondering is it weird that the US firms that are life sciences expertise that their technology practise is a market leader. I mean every law firm that is a life sciences strength are also a technology strength. I mean is there a reason for that or is there not a particular reason for that for example Cooley and Covington.
Lots of overlap between lifesci and general tech, particularly having good patent lawyers + capacity in VC which is big for those kinds of businesses. A lot of geographical positioning will also overlap, especially having offices in proximity to good research universities which tend to lead to STEM-field startups.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Lots of overlap between lifesci and general tech, particularly having good patent lawyers + capacity in VC which is big for those kinds of businesses. A lot of geographical positioning will also overlap, especially having offices in proximity to good research universities which tend to lead to STEM-field startups.
    Yes thank you for this and I see now why like I thought there was an overlap between the two but was not sure. Do you think a law firm can be expertise in 1 area for example life sciences but not be an expert in technology.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    I was wondering is it weird that the US firms that are life sciences expertise that their technology practise is a market leader. I mean every law firm that is a life sciences strength are also a technology strength. I mean is there a reason for that or is there not a particular reason for that for example Cooley and Covington.

Said exactly what I was trying to say only better! There is a huge amount of overlap, most life sciences developments could be considered tech developments. I wrote my medical law thesis on AI use in healthcare for example. That said being a life sciences expert doesn't necessarily make you a tech expert if the focus is on say pharma developments.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Said exactly what I was trying to say only better! There is a huge amount of overlap, most life sciences developments could be considered tech developments. I wrote my medical law thesis on AI use in healthcare for example. That said being a life sciences expert doesn't necessarily make you a tech expert if the focus is on say pharma developments.
    Thank you for this and that is really interesting.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Yes thank you for this and I see now why like I thought there was an overlap between the two but was not sure. Do you think a law firm can be expertise in 1 area for example life sciences but not be an expert in technology.
    It's certainly possible but I'd expect to see that more in relatively boutique firms that have high sector specificity. For a BigLaw firm with international reach it simply makes sense to leverage capability across markets so most will have done so.

But some firms will obviously lean a certain way - when I think of Ropes, for example, their lifesci/biopharma profile jumps out at me more than general tech, at least in the UK.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    It's certainly possible but I'd expect to see that more in relatively boutique firms that have high sector specificity. For a BigLaw firm with international reach it simply makes sense to leverage capability across markets so most will have done so.

But some firms will obviously lean a certain way - when I think of Ropes, for example, their lifesci/biopharma profile jumps out at me more than general tech, at least in the UK.
    Wow that thing about Ropes Gray.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Just wanted to share for all my long-suffering grads and soon-to-be grads out there that I've just bagged my first private practice paralegal gig at the premier department of an American firm, following a lengthy stint of hard graft in-house. I'm over the moon.

Separately, for grad opps, has been my best cycle to date - on hold after one VI and still hopeful on two apps - and the future looks ever brighter, even if this cycle is a wash.

I'll be 29 this year and still cracking on, because I realised while working other jobs in my early-mid 20s this is what I want to do.

It's an absolute slog at times, and I don't want to diminish that. But the practice of law is a marathon, not a sprint. Stay true to yourself and know what you want and why you want it, and you'll get there.

Wagmi.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I got the offer for TC with CC!!!! I cannot believe it 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭
    Amazing news - congratulations

Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.