TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
You have been such a bright spot on the forum- helpful, insightful and so supportive.

I genuinely feel so joyful seeing you flourish!! Wishing you the very best @Rob93! 👏👏👏
Thank you! I think, and hope, the it helps folks who've not had an easy go to hear from someone who has been toughing it out. Lots of people secure TCs during their studies, and in proud of them. Many of us don't, but that absolutely does not reflect on our potential.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Can I just say how much I appreciate @Jaysen's newsletter today? This community wouldn't exist without Jaysen taking the brave initiative in the first place. And I am sure TCLA has had a profoundly positive impact on us all who are trying to fulfil our aspirations despite the incredible challenge.

I am a law graduate who only decided to pursue a commercial law career after graduating. This is my first cycle and I am yet to hear a positive reply other than PFOs. However, despite the process being extremely daunting, I am still here and willing to keep on grinding because I am tremendously empowered by all you kind and beautiful souls on this forum - and I am sure my story isn't unique at all.

So I just want to say good luck to all who are waiting for positive responses from law firms. Thank you all for being incredibly lovely and supportive to each other. And if you are feeling a bit "lost heart" for all the rejections you received, remember you matter to everyone on this forum, and we are all eagerly waiting to cheer you on as you make your next step towards success 🙂

*cue Hey Jude and all the na na na nananana that follow*

A quick but heartfelt thank you to @Jaysen @Jessica Booker and the TCLA team.

This has made my day. Thank you so much - it's all of you that I feel so lucky to be able to work with each day :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Pinsents PFO 🕺

also: had a laugh in a separate AC (awaiting results) with my interviewers - now feeling this is inappropriate? Is laughing with partners ok 😭 maybe I’m overthinking it
    Definitely overthinking it - would only be an issue if they weren’t laughing and looking pretty much like this:

Grumpy Cat Annoyed Face GIF

While you were looking like this:

Man Slapping Couch Laughing GIF

laughing with colleagues is a necessity for the job from time to time. I suspect it came across as a positive.

MensRea93

Jan 17, 2022
    What is a good score on the WG test? I emailed Freshfields for my score (direct TC) and they told me 91 (I am assuming 91%).

Does anyone know how high the 'average' score is and whether this is likely to get me through to the next stage?

A.Diane01

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    Definitely overthinking it - would only be an issue if they weren’t laughing and looking pretty much like this:

Grumpy Cat Annoyed Face GIF

While you were looking like this:

Man Slapping Couch Laughing GIF

laughing with colleagues is a necessity for the job from time to time. I suspect it came across as a positive.
    Quality reply, thanks @Jessica Booker - feeling much better 😂

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What is a good score on the WG test? I emailed Freshfields for my score (direct TC) and they told me 91 (I am assuming 91%).

Does anyone know how high the 'average' score is and whether this is likely to get me through to the next stage?
    It will be the 91st percentile rather than a percentage. That’s likely to be above their usual benchmark, and comfortably so.

Reactions: MensRea93

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    got this from DLA Piper:

Thank you for your interest and application for the 2022 UK Summer Internship position at DLA Piper .
    We have completed our recruitment for the 2022 UK Summer Internship Programme, and regret to inform you that on this occasion you will not be progressed to the next stage.

We receive very high volumes of applications and although we do have a deadline for submission, we work on a rolling basis, and therefore review applications throughout the campus season. We appreciate you taking the time to apply to our programme and understand that applying for roles and programmes can be very time consuming. We therefore encourage you to submit an application for our 2023 Summer Internship Programme, but to do so much earlier than on this occasion.

Did everyone get this same email?

rose0904

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 6, 2021
    omg just had the call to say i got the simmons vs for bristol 😭😭😭 haven't stopped shaking since and don't think my heart rate will be going down for a while lol. big thank you to everyone on this forum for being so supportive and encouraging! it would be a much lonelier experience without all of you guys (apologies if this is starting to sound like an oscars speech i can't think straight rn!!!)

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2022
    Just following up on the conversation about pre-employment checks from earlier, I'm wondering how much detail is required? I read that it can take ages. Like, are firms going to want references from the university societies that I put down as voluntary experience? And when firms do check paid employment, do they just email your former company and say 'candidate said they had x role and did y, is this true?' Or something like that? I'd appreciate your insight into this @Jessica Booker

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    What do you guys think about being a little cheeky in a video interview and making a small joke? I know that firms want to see your personality in the video interview and see you relaxed rather than overly rehearsed so what are your thoughts about this? Or is too unprofessional?

@Jessica Booker

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    What do you guys think about being a little cheeky in a video interview and making a small joke? I know that firms want to see your personality in the video interview and see you relaxed rather than overly rehearsed so what are your thoughts about this? Or is too unprofessional?

@Jessica Booker
    I’ve had this thought way wayyyy too many times. Thanks for asking!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.