TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Taylor Wessing AC invite 🥳 Any advice or tips would be really appreciated!

Birketts invitation to interview! :oops:That's all my applications back, in the post-application stage. This is my second (third unofficially) cycle, and I really think that really really researching firms and only picking firms that I love, was really important. I applied to 5 firms: Eversheds, Pinsent Masons, Mills&Reeve, Trowers&Hamlins and Birketts- all of which had a strong Real Estate focus that matched my own experience. I have worked in student accommodation, then Social Housing, and now work as a paralegal in Real Estate Investment. That way, my 'why law' or 'why this firm' seemed specific and genuine. Of all 5 firms, I only had one rejection (Eversheds) and that was the only firm where I rushed the application. Every other, I have got through to the next stage! Fingers crossed for the next stage!!! :):)

EVERSHEDS VAC SCHEME!! 😭😭
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice before the AC! Couldn't have done it without you

Omg HSF summer AC! After initially getting rejected for spring

HSF AC !!!!! :))

JUST PASSED MY FIRST EVER AC!!!!!:eek: so thankful for this forum!!

CRS VI!!

If anyone has any experience with this or tips on how to prepare please could you let me know as CRS is one of my top firms!! Thanks

Dentons Vac Scheme Offer

Interview invite at Akin Gump! Applied on 28 Dec - any help/tips much appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

CMS Acadamy Offer!!

Fladgate Watson Glaser test invite!

Addleshaw AC! Does anyone have any advice or tips? It would be very much appreciated

Hey all! I just received a W&C Video Interview invite. I was wondering if anybody had any advice or tips on what I should look out for? I've never passed a video interview before so I'm a bit nervous haha. Thanks in advance :)

Details if anyone was wondering; Applied on the 13th of December for the Summer Scheme.

This week I was offered a place on an Easter vacation scheme (yay!) and it will be in person. I did a vacation scheme last summer but it was virtual, so I'm keen to hear about people's experience doing an in-person one and if they had any tips :)

Thanks!

Congratulations on all these successes of the past few days - it's always so excellent to see!! 😍

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can someone please share some advice for Pinsent's AC? please PM me if possible. Also @James Carrabino @George Maxwell if you could please mention me on threads where this was discussed before.

Thanks everyone.
Hi @GXA123 - if you are looking for specific threads/content, my advice is to use the search function on the forums and then use the "search title only function" option to find relevant threads

1644762808106.png

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! Yes I have tried this but could not find anything.
As this is the only way we have to search the forums for content too, if there is nothing on there, we won't be able to find it either. The only content I can see that is not on the forums that we have is this information from 2018 but I am pretty sure this is replicated on the Pinsent Mason's interview thread anyway so you might have read it.

Pinsent Masons | The Corporate Law Academy

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    As this is the only way we have to search the forums for content too, if there is nothing on there, we won't be able to find it either. The only content I can see that is not on the forums that we have is this information from 2018 but I am pretty sure this is replicated on the Pinsent Mason's interview thread anyway so you might have read it.

Pinsent Masons | The Corporate Law Academy
    Thank you!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    My personal view on this is nothing - but not everyone will agree with me on this.

Your interview is about you, not about your interviewers.
    I think this may have been asked already, but if we are given the names of our interviewers prior to the interview, what should we be doing with this information?
    Hi @ek125712, I think @Jessica Booker makes a great point here and that you should certainly not be trying to cater your interview to the interviewers - it would be a big mistake to pretend you are interested in tax law, simply because your interviewer is a tax lawyer, for example. A tax lawyer would appreciate a genuine interest in international arbitration just as much as an international arbitration lawyer (perhaps more so, because they would be less likely to find the gaps in your knowledge🤣 )!

That said, I think it would be a mistake not to even bother looking them up and knowing something small about them, especially because it may help you avoid entering dangerous territory. I have outlined the benefits of how you can use this information here. It primarily comes down to your ability to create rapport in the interview, which I have also written about in this post.

Again, do not go out of your way to create rapport in too formulaic of a manner, but if a topic comes up where you feel that you have common ground with your interviewer, I would not hesitate to mention this as they may well be flattered that you know something about them off the top of your head 😊 Law is a very human profession after all and interpersonal skills can be practised and prepared in the same way that other skills can be!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    @GXA123 Glad to hear that you were able to find something useful! I wonder if users assume we have extra access to past material that they don't haha - we should probably clarify that we use the search function in the same way as all of you 😀
    @GXA123 also the article that @Jessica Booker linked you too can be found by Googling 'TCLA Pinsent Masons'! Between Google and the TCLA forum search function you should be able to find everything that TCLA has to offer :)

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.