TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! Yes I have tried this but could not find anything.
As this is the only way we have to search the forums for content too, if there is nothing on there, we won't be able to find it either. The only content I can see that is not on the forums that we have is this information from 2018 but I am pretty sure this is replicated on the Pinsent Mason's interview thread anyway so you might have read it.

Pinsent Masons | The Corporate Law Academy

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    As this is the only way we have to search the forums for content too, if there is nothing on there, we won't be able to find it either. The only content I can see that is not on the forums that we have is this information from 2018 but I am pretty sure this is replicated on the Pinsent Mason's interview thread anyway so you might have read it.

Pinsent Masons | The Corporate Law Academy
    Thank you!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    My personal view on this is nothing - but not everyone will agree with me on this.

Your interview is about you, not about your interviewers.
    I think this may have been asked already, but if we are given the names of our interviewers prior to the interview, what should we be doing with this information?
    Hi @ek125712, I think @Jessica Booker makes a great point here and that you should certainly not be trying to cater your interview to the interviewers - it would be a big mistake to pretend you are interested in tax law, simply because your interviewer is a tax lawyer, for example. A tax lawyer would appreciate a genuine interest in international arbitration just as much as an international arbitration lawyer (perhaps more so, because they would be less likely to find the gaps in your knowledge🤣 )!

That said, I think it would be a mistake not to even bother looking them up and knowing something small about them, especially because it may help you avoid entering dangerous territory. I have outlined the benefits of how you can use this information here. It primarily comes down to your ability to create rapport in the interview, which I have also written about in this post.

Again, do not go out of your way to create rapport in too formulaic of a manner, but if a topic comes up where you feel that you have common ground with your interviewer, I would not hesitate to mention this as they may well be flattered that you know something about them off the top of your head 😊 Law is a very human profession after all and interpersonal skills can be practised and prepared in the same way that other skills can be!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    @GXA123 Glad to hear that you were able to find something useful! I wonder if users assume we have extra access to past material that they don't haha - we should probably clarify that we use the search function in the same way as all of you 😀
    @GXA123 also the article that @Jessica Booker linked you too can be found by Googling 'TCLA Pinsent Masons'! Between Google and the TCLA forum search function you should be able to find everything that TCLA has to offer :)

Reactions: George Maxwell

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    @GXA123 Glad to hear that you were able to find something useful! I wonder if users assume we have extra access to past material that they don't haha - we should probably clarify that we use the search function in the same way as all of you 😀
    hahaha yeah I know, thank you for your help, sometimes you do direct people to the right place tho and this is what I was asking for.

• Love
    Reactions: James Carrabino

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    hahaha yeah I know, thank you for your help, sometimes you do direct people to the right place tho and this is what I was asking for.
    No worries at all - always happy to help! In general it should not be too tricky to find information about specific firms if it is on the forum, but we always like to assist in finding information on how to approach certain types of interview question or other advice or commercial awareness questions which have appeared over the years, especially when it is buried within the main threads!!

Just wanted to make sure you know how to make the most of the forum because I didn't myself when I first started using it 😊

• Love
    Reactions: GXA123

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    No worries at all - always happy to help! In general it should not be too tricky to find information about specific firms if it is on the forum, but we always like to assist in finding information on how to approach certain types of interview question or other advice or commercial awareness questions which have appeared over the years, especially when it is buried within the main threads!!

Just wanted to make sure you know how to make the most of the forum because I didn't myself when I first started using it 😊
    Appreciate it! thanks to everyone for always being extremely helpful.

• Love
    Reactions: James Carrabino

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi @GXA123 - if you are looking for specific threads/content, my advice is to use the search function on the forums and then use the "search title only function" option to find relevant threads

View attachment 3870
    I have used this so many times in this cycle and it is so helpful for posts from previous years still accessible on the forum.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.