TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @vacschemesforeveryone,

Thank you for the question! Congratulations too for getting three vacation scheme offers. I am aware that this result will reflect a lot of hard work, so really well done(!).

Before I start my answer , I want to caveat the following by saying that this really is my opinion. This is not the sort of thing for which there is a right answer, but my thoughts below demonstrate how I would deal with this. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that this will yield a positive outcome etc.

That being said, I will answer your question in two parts. First I will speak about deferring vacation schemes. Second I will touch on HSF.

1. My advice would be to be as open and honest as possible with the firm. In my experience, honesty is always appreciated. In addition, it avoids the possibility of the firm finding out later. It also prevents uneasiness (for you) in knowing what you can/should say (given what you think you have told them) to the firm in the future about your experiences or movements.

If it were me, I would send the Graduate Recruitment team an email. I would include the details of each of my vacation schemes. I would be open and explain that I found myself in the fortunate position that I had been offered three vacation scheme places and would like to discuss options with them.

I would then detail the various reasons why I wanted to complete three vacation schemes/the firm to transfer me to another scheme. I would emphasise that this does not mean that you value HSF/your offer from them any less, but that it is the only way in which you can feasibly complete all three schemes (bear in mind, I would only say this if this really were the case!).

Legitimate reasons, in my opinion would include: making an informed decision, money, networking opportunities and professional development opportunities resulting from the schemes. I would really encourage you to remove/add your own reasons to these in accordance with your own thoughts.

I would also offer to speak on the phone about my predicament to fully explain my reasons too.

I do not think that a firm will not withdraw your offer for asking. HSF may just say no. However, at least this way you have not been dishonest (you have shown integrity) and you have done all you can to explore all the available options. By doing this you are not being rude (the firm is a commercial entity and Graduate Recruitment will not be personally offended you asked), but in many ways mature and considered.

2. HSF are a fantastic firm. I felt like I genuinely fit in during my vacation scheme.

The Graduate Recruitment team, along with the rest of the firm are, in my experience, understanding people who would appreciate honesty (and the maturity that being honest often requires!).

If you would like to know anything further about the firm, please do tag me! 💪
Thank you so so much for this, it's extremely helpful!! Thanks so much

awd1998

Star Member
Jan 7, 2022
Hi @vacschemesforeveryone,

Thank you for the question! Congratulations too for getting three vacation scheme offers. I am aware that this result will reflect a lot of hard work, so really well done(!).

Before I start my answer , I want to caveat the following by saying that this really is my opinion. This is not the sort of thing for which there is a right answer, but my thoughts below demonstrate how I would deal with this. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that this will yield a positive outcome etc.

That being said, I will answer your question in two parts. First I will speak about deferring vacation schemes. Second I will touch on HSF.

1. My advice would be to be as open and honest as possible with the firm. In my experience, honesty is always appreciated. In addition, it avoids the possibility of the firm finding out later. It also prevents uneasiness (for you) in knowing what you can/should say (given what you think you have told them) to the firm in the future about your experiences or movements.

If it were me, I would send the Graduate Recruitment team an email. I would include the details of each of my vacation schemes. I would be open and explain that I found myself in the fortunate position that I had been offered three vacation scheme places and would like to discuss options with them.

I would then detail the various reasons why I wanted to complete three vacation schemes/the firm to transfer me to another scheme. I would emphasise that this does not mean that you value HSF/your offer from them any less, but that it is the only way in which you can feasibly complete all three schemes (bear in mind, I would only say this if this really were the case!).

Legitimate reasons, in my opinion would include: making an informed decision, money, networking opportunities and professional development opportunities resulting from the schemes. I would really encourage you to remove/add your own reasons to these in accordance with your own thoughts.

I would also offer to speak on the phone about my predicament to fully explain my reasons too.

I do not think that a firm will not withdraw your offer for asking. HSF may just say no. However, at least this way you have not been dishonest (you have shown integrity) and you have done all you can to explore all the available options. By doing this you are not being rude (the firm is a commercial entity and Graduate Recruitment will not be personally offended you asked), but in many ways mature and considered.

2. HSF are a fantastic firm. I felt like I genuinely fit in during my vacation scheme.

The Graduate Recruitment team, along with the rest of the firm are, in my experience, understanding people who would appreciate honesty (and the maturity that being honest often requires!).

If you would like to know anything further about the firm, please do tag me! 💪
Thanks for this really useful helpful answer. I am also in a very similar position and been agonising over a similar decision all week as it just happens the two summer vacation scheme partly clash for one week and I am really struggling to pick between the two firms and also feel there is not much to separate the firms either so would also be interested to know members views on CMS and DLA as really doesn't seam to be much in them from my own research.

aspiringlawyer22

Star Member
Mar 16, 2021
Thanks for this really useful helpful answer. I am also in a very similar position and been agonising over a similar decision all week as it just happens the two summer vacation scheme partly clash for one week and I am really struggling to pick between the two firms and also feel there is not much to separate the firms either so would also be interested to know members views on CMS and DLA as really doesn't seam to be much in them from my own research.
I’m doing DLA’s vac scheme this summer and having worked with them in the past (through their insight programme, for example) I would say they invest quite a lot in training and supporting interns. I’ve heard great things about their vac scheme and I’m really looking forward to it

Ambs123

Legendary Member
Feb 19, 2021
How bad is it if you mispronounce the name of a firm in a video interview? I pronounced Michelmores like Michaelmores D:
I literally did the same thing for MDR and I have nooOoO idea - but I keep thinking that end of the day - these things happen. I’ve had my name mispronounced several times, and it’s always just a simple mistake. Hopefully our chances aren’t hindered too much by this honest mistake and I think at the end of the day, if we have done well, a mispronunciation won’t be the be all end all :)

LBT99

Junior Lawyer
Jun 10, 2021

I know very little about either's vac scheme (and I haven't interacted with CMS much) but I spent a week at DLA's Edinburgh office (real estate) in August 2019 and they were genuinely some of the nicest people I've ever met. Super welcoming and really cared about my experience there. I was only in 1st year at the time, but they made an effort to assign work that allowed me to add value and understand what a trainee would actually do. My desk was near the front door and I always had people coming up to say hello and get to know me, from trainees to partners. So, again, whilst I know very little about CMS, I really enjoyed my time with DLA! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I literally did the same thing for MDR and I have nooOoO idea - but I keep thinking that end of the day - these things happen. I’ve had my name mispronounced several times, and it’s always just a simple mistake. Hopefully our chances aren’t hindered too much by this honest mistake and I think at the end of the day, if we have done well, a mispronunciation won’t be the be all end all :)
I have heard so many firms’ names pronounced incorrectly, even firms you think would be easier to say. It is something that can easily be corrected, so it won’t be a deal breaker necessarily.

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    You see, I’ve unsubscribed from a bunch of different companies in my email inbox because I was fed up of thinking a law firm contacted me, just for my hopes to be falsely raised.

But now I’ve got no emails coming through so I don’t even get the quasi-pleasure of momentarily thinking that a law firm has contacted me with an outcome. Sad times.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.