TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalgemma

Distinguished Member
Jan 11, 2022
I think this may have been asked already, but if we are given the names of our interviewers prior to the interview, what should we be doing with this information?
Research them through the firm's website / LinkedIn to make sure you are aware of their practice areas and specialities! Either have specific questions to do with that area or at the very least have a solid understanding of what it is so that if they ask anything to do with it, you can make some kind of conversation. It's a massive advantage having their names ahead of time so definitely make use of it - see if you can find any commonground interests you have with them too that may come up in the interview :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
any thoughts on how best to start a video interview, and the types of points worth making. Is it best to focus on why the work at the firm is appealing or go into things like pro bono ect
It really will depend on the questions. You just need to focus on answering them and they will direct you to what you should discuss.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think this may have been asked already, but if we are given the names of our interviewers prior to the interview, what should we be doing with this information?
My personal view on this is nothing - but not everyone will agree with me on this.

Your interview is about you, not about your interviewers.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Easily gonna be a serious firing zone from Links very soon😩 they’re gonna be more brutal than Reed Smith. At least RS had the courtesy to send holding emails 😳
The Office Finger Guns GIF
For all of us

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Research them through the firm's website / LinkedIn to make sure you are aware of their practice areas and specialities! Either have specific questions to do with that area or at the very least have a solid understanding of what it is so that if they ask anything to do with it, you can make some kind of conversation. It's a massive advantage having their names ahead of time so definitely make use of it - see if you can find any commonground interests you have with them too that may come up in the interview :)

My personal view on this is nothing - but not everyone will agree with me on this.

Your interview is about you, not about your interviewers.
Great to get two different perspectives on this, thank you both!

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
The cover letter is a good place to make it a bit more personal, all while backing your motivations up with evidence.

You could talk about what sparked your interest in a career in commercial law and what made you develop it further, why the firm stood out to you, what your USP is and why it makes you fit for a career in commercial law at the firm.

This is from a few years ago but I found this resource by Izzet Hassan incredibly useful in personalising my cover letters and adding detail to them. I hope you find it helpful!
This is brilliant. I just have to make it though my final Trusts exam and then I will tackle this! Thanks so so much. :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just a reminder, we are looking for for some responses to the starred threads. I’d encourage you to post your thoughts, especially to the music royalties thread - your analysis is likely to be far better than mine.

More details here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.