TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    @GXA123 Glad to hear that you were able to find something useful! I wonder if users assume we have extra access to past material that they don't haha - we should probably clarify that we use the search function in the same way as all of you 😀
    hahaha yeah I know, thank you for your help, sometimes you do direct people to the right place tho and this is what I was asking for.

• Love
    Reactions: James Carrabino

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    hahaha yeah I know, thank you for your help, sometimes you do direct people to the right place tho and this is what I was asking for.
    No worries at all - always happy to help! In general it should not be too tricky to find information about specific firms if it is on the forum, but we always like to assist in finding information on how to approach certain types of interview question or other advice or commercial awareness questions which have appeared over the years, especially when it is buried within the main threads!!

Just wanted to make sure you know how to make the most of the forum because I didn't myself when I first started using it 😊

• Love
    Reactions: GXA123

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    No worries at all - always happy to help! In general it should not be too tricky to find information about specific firms if it is on the forum, but we always like to assist in finding information on how to approach certain types of interview question or other advice or commercial awareness questions which have appeared over the years, especially when it is buried within the main threads!!

Just wanted to make sure you know how to make the most of the forum because I didn't myself when I first started using it 😊
    Appreciate it! thanks to everyone for always being extremely helpful.

• Love
    Reactions: James Carrabino

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi @GXA123 - if you are looking for specific threads/content, my advice is to use the search function on the forums and then use the "search title only function" option to find relevant threads

View attachment 3870
    I have used this so many times in this cycle and it is so helpful for posts from previous years still accessible on the forum.

Hi all, I am in the fortunate but unlucky position of having 3 summer vac scheme offers and only being able to do 2 because of the dates overlapping. Therefore, I have to ask HSF if they'd let me do the spring scheme instead of the summer one and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with HSF specifically or with law firms in general about changing schemes and whether you were allowed? I'm also not sure how to go about explaining it to them, do I tell them about my other offers etc? Thank you
    @George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, I am in the fortunate but unlucky position of having 3 summer vac scheme offers and only being able to do 2 because of the dates overlapping. Therefore, I have to ask HSF if they'd let me do the spring scheme instead of the summer one and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with HSF specifically or with law firms in general about changing schemes and whether you were allowed? I'm also not sure how to go about explaining it to them, do I tell them about my other offers etc? Thank you
    @George Maxwell
    This happens all the time with law firms. They are having this conversation with people every cycle, so the firm will be very used to having this conversation.

Explain you have multiple schemes and that you are seeing whether firms can offer alternative dates. Firms are used to people having multiple schemes - it is not an issue.

Be prepared for HSF to say they can’t move you though and that you may have to turn down one of your three schemes. Even if I’m the past they have been able to move people around, it doesn’t necessarily mean they can do it this year - the scheme could already be oversubscribed, they could already have a waiting list of people looking to move etc.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    @George Maxwell
    Hi @vacschemesforeveryone,

Thank you for the question! Congratulations too for getting three vacation scheme offers. I am aware that this result will reflect a lot of hard work, so really well done(!).

Before I start my answer , I want to caveat the following by saying that this really is my opinion. This is not the sort of thing for which there is a right answer, but my thoughts below demonstrate how I would deal with this. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that this will yield a positive outcome etc.

That being said, I will answer your question in two parts. First I will speak about deferring vacation schemes. Second I will touch on HSF.

1. My advice would be to be as open and honest as possible with the firm. In my experience, honesty is always appreciated. In addition, it avoids the possibility of the firm finding out later. It also prevents uneasiness (for you) in knowing what you can/should say (given what you think you have told them) to the firm in the future about your experiences or movements.

If it were me, I would send the Graduate Recruitment team an email. I would include the details of each of my vacation schemes. I would be open and explain that I found myself in the fortunate position that I had been offered three vacation scheme places and would like to discuss options with them.

I would then detail the various reasons why I wanted to complete three vacation schemes/the firm to transfer me to another scheme. I would emphasise that this does not mean that I value HSF/the offer from them any less, but that it is the only way in which I could feasibly complete all three schemes (bear in mind, I would only say this if this really were the case!).

Legitimate reasons, in my opinion would include: making an informed decision, money, networking opportunities and professional development opportunities resulting from the schemes. I would really encourage you to remove/add your own reasons to these in accordance with your own thoughts.

I would also offer to speak on the phone about my predicament to fully explain my reasons too.

I do not think that a firm will not withdraw your offer for asking. HSF may just say no. However, at least this way you have not been dishonest (you have shown integrity) and you have done all you can to explore all the available options. By doing this you are not being rude (the firm is a commercial entity and Graduate Recruitment will not be personally offended you asked), but in many ways mature and considered.

2. HSF are a fantastic firm. I felt like I genuinely fit in during my vacation scheme.

The Graduate Recruitment team, along with the rest of the firm are, in my experience, understanding people who would appreciate honesty (and the maturity that being honest often requires!).

If you would like to know anything further about the firm, please do tag me! 💪

This happens all the time with law firms. They are having this conversation with people every cycle, so the firm will be very used to having this conversation.

Explain you have multiple schemes and that you are seeing whether firms can offer alternative dates. Firms are used to people having multiple schemes - it is not an issue.

Be prepared for HSF to say they can’t move you though and that you may have to turn down one of your three schemes. Even if I’m the past they have been able to move people around, it doesn’t necessarily mean they can do it this year - the scheme could already be oversubscribed, they could already have a waiting list of people looking to move etc.
    Thank you Jessica! The other two firms do not offer spring schemes at all, is it worth asking them also if they would offer alternative dates? Thank you

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica! The other two firms do not offer spring schemes at all, is it worth asking them also if they would offer alternative dates? Thank you
    You could ask them if they offer alternative dates too, but it’s most likely they will clash at some point over the summer with the other schemes. There are only so many weeks over the summer and firms only tend to start their schemes late June and end them mid August, typically because so many people go on annual leave at the end of August. That means there are only about 8-9 weeks potential schemes could run, meaning unless the schemes are all short (1-2 weeks) there could be clashes.

Whichever firm you do choose to contact, call rather than email them. It will be much quicker and you can discuss things with them rather than email back and forth.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.