TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I just received an email saying to give them a call back. I had an interview with them last week. Is a phone call generally good news, and does anyone know specifically if Shearman sends a PFO post interview by email or phone call.
In all honesty, it might not be an outcome at all. It could be the case that they need more information from you or just want to provide you with a more general update on where they are up to.

The fact they want you to call them though says that they want to hear from you, so I would give them a call this afternoon.

ScrappyDoo

Esteemed Member
May 15, 2021
Thank you,

I can tell you that in the last four years, I have attended so many virtual events and I have seen only one brown woman! I can list all the law firms and it was just shocking to me. Maybe they work in the office but I have not seen them on the panels interacting with students or aspiring solicitors. Maybe you could advise them to be more present as representation matters!
Hello - just want to chip in here.

I have interacted with many Black and Asian graduate recruiters. For instance, Freshfields last year had a Black woman and Asian woman. I attended so many HSF firms - and there was 2 Asian GR recruiters on the panel.

I was even surprised to see a Chinese GR as well at Freshfields.

I don’t think it matters about the colour of a person’s skin though. I am sure all recruiters are non-bias 😂😂😂

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jessica Booker

ScrappyDoo

Esteemed Member
May 15, 2021
I know, personally it is becoming personally frustrating to see the lack of black people in the corporate world. However, I do understand their frustration in not wanting to be a token. My team is predominantly BAME for a specific PR reason; it is a tricky balance and difficult to achieve.
There was a recent Black partner who took a leadership role at BCLP - search it up! :)

I have so many friends who are Black and are all “trainees” at big international law firms.

Reactions: JD

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 14, 2021
Just had my partner interview with MB! It's the first I've gotten before, and I just wanted to know...HOW DO YOU COPE WITH ALL OF THE FEELINGS AFTER?! It's only been a couple of hours, but I need to know how I did now lol. Waiting for 1-2 weeks is going to be a killer 🤣

Also, the interview went okay! It's always hard to tell, but this is THE firm for me so fingers crossed! Good luck to anyone else who has interviews or ACs today or this week!
I second this. Just had an interview with a different firm and I feel like I'm full of adrenaline!!!

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Could be anything from a few days through to mid-September. You really should be given 4 weeks though as a minimum (that is best practice)

How much time you are given typically depends on what stage of your academics you are in. The mid-September rule is really for those who are still at university, while the 4 weeks (or less) will be for those who are graduating in 2022 or have already graduated. If you need to start the GDL/LPC/SQE soon then you will also find your time to consider the offer is less.
    Thank you!! 🥰

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.