TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Has anyone ever had a law firm call them to bring an interview forward before?

It happened to me earlier today - I had asked for my AC to be after the 18th due to exams. However the law firm called me today to ask if there is anyway I could do the interview earlier as they recruit on a rolling basis and wanted to be able to guarantee they still had available VS slots when I interviewed. Just want to get a gauge of how normal this is.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone ever had a law firm call them to bring an interview forward before?

It happened to me earlier today - I had asked for my AC to be after the 18th due to exams. However the law firm called me today to ask if there is anyway I could do the interview earlier as they recruit on a rolling basis and wanted to be able to guarantee they still had available VS slots when I interviewed. Just want to get a gauge of how normal this is.
Pretty normal from my perspective. They a are doing the right thing by telling you the reasons for this. They are still giving you the option to stick to the later date too - they are just saying there is a risk they may have offered all their VS spots by that point.

Reactions: Abii and AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys I really need some advice! I applied for a vac scheme with a firm (application and video interview), I have just had an email saying my application was unsuccessful for the vac scheme but that I have been shortlisted to be considered for an assessment centre for a direct TC application with the firm.

They have asked me to reply confirming if I want to be considered, but the email also says this:

'If there is a reason you would rather we didn’t shortlist your application (and instead let you apply again) please do let us know and we can accommodate this too.'

The thing is, if I did reapply and re-do the video interview, I think I could do better than I originally did because I wasn't that prepared, but that also risks withdrawing my current application only to not be progressed at all!

What would you guys do?
I'd say yes to the direct TC route as I doubt that you would've been considered for it if your VS VI performance was less than adequate for the firm. In any case it seems like you application will be withdrawn anyway if you say no to the direct TC so I don't see a point in turning it down.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Pretty normal from my perspective. They a are doing the right thing by telling you the reasons for this. They are still giving you the option to stick to the later date too - they are just saying there is a risk they may have offered all their VS spots by that point.
Thanks! I brought it forward as early as I could. Not as early as they wanted but the suggested dates would be when I was actually sitting proctored exams and I cannot be in two places at once! Instead I brought it forward to a day where I have a 24 hour take away assessment so I'll just do the that in the evening/night after the AC.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks! I brought it forward as early as I could. Not as early as they wanted but the suggested dates would be when I was actually sitting proctored exams and I cannot be in two places at once! Instead I brought it forward to a day where I have a 24 hour take away assessment so I'll just do the that in the evening/night after the AC.
Phew! You have a lot on your plate. Hope all the assessments, both AC and academic go well for you. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help with your preparations.

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

JSM123

Star Member
Oct 11, 2021
Does anyone know the minimum score needed to pass the Ashurst online tests? I have horrific math skills / cognitive math skills (E in GCSE maths lol) and haven't needed to use any maths throughout my degrees and previous law firm experience in London. So I am certain I did quite terribly.

I have an A-Level in maths and still did terribly aha :)

I went to an Ashurst event with the firm last year and unless anything has changed I was told by Grad Rec that if one component of your test isn't great (e.g. Cognify) they will often look past it assuming all other components (other test + app form) are strong

• 🤝
Reactions: rightletsdothis

ellwilsen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2020
It is unlikely both firms will allow you to only do one week each. It is best to ask if there are alternative vacation scheme dates
Thanks Jessica :). is this likely to be the case where one firm has only one scheme & the other firm cannot accommodate me on the other scheme (but is aware that i have accepted a vs with another firm)?

lucciblanca

Standard Member
Feb 9, 2022
Akin Gump PFO post-WG (completed my WG in mid-January), finally lol

In other news, I've went from receiving no offers last year to securing multiple offers from my dream US firms and even being put in a position where I've had to reject others. I hope that provides some type of reassurance to others who aren't having a successful application cycle - it's a steep learning curve but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back!

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Anyone heard from mofo post second round yet or are they ghosting unsuccessful candidates? Did my second round interview two months ago and followed up last week - they told me they were still making decisions so would revert ASAP.

However it's now less than a month until the scheme so my assumption is I wasn't successful.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    What does everyone think of law firms closing their offices in Russia? (how to discuss it from a business point of view in interviews), @Jessica Booker would love to hear your thoughts.
    Probably not a subject I'd broach to be honest because it's very murky territory. For firms that have staff in Russian offices, they are now in an incredibly uncertain position as to their jobs which will be putting pressure on the firm. As for clients, you have to remember these are also long-standing relationships that have been cultivated and maintained throughout the years by the firm. I think you run the risk of ending up in a conversation about morality more than business and that's not something I'd ever want to broach in an interview.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Probably not a subject I'd broach to be honest because it's very murky territory. For firms that have staff in Russian offices, they are now in an incredibly uncertain position as to their jobs which will be putting pressure on the firm. As for clients, you have to remember these are also long-standing relationships that have been cultivated and maintained throughout the years by the firm. I think you run the risk of ending up in a conversation about morality more than business and that's not something I'd ever want to broach in an interview.
    I agree but I think it is a topic the interviewer might bring up..

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    I agree but I think it is a topic the interviewer might bring up..
    I actually doubt it - a lot of firms have put out statements regarding their position, which means there will have been an internal email in the firm beforehand stating that if anyone is approached by the press for any sort of comments on the matter to please direct them to a press representative. Having an open discussion about it with you at an interview would put that "united front" image at risk.

If someone does somehow bring it up I'd just try to stay as vague and diplomatic as possible. Acknowledge it's a difficult spot to be in and it is a decision that affects a lot of people, and that hopefully it can be resolved swiftly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.