Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The Clyde & Co winter vac scheme app says you have to have completed the LPC by August 2023… does anyone know if this is correct?
Maybe they are looking to convert their winter TC applicants into their Autumn 2023 TCs? With converting to the SQE, it maybe that their last LPC intake in next Autumn and therefore why you need to be at this stage of your education. Probably worthwhile emailing the firm to check, but given its on the application form, I very much expect it to be true (it’s unlikely to be a mistake).

Reactions: psr23

wolfwoman

Star Member
Aug 1, 2022
Hello, Travers Smith's pre-screening process says we do not re-interview candidates who have unsuccessfully interviewed with the firm in the past. However, neither does the application process nor their website mentions anything about applying only once in one cycle. Does this mean that if I am unsuccessful in the Winter VS application (do not reach the interview stage also), I can re-apply for the Summer VS in the same cycle?

aakriti_3377

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 22, 2022
Hello, I had just wanted to find out whether students studying law in countries other than the UK are at any particular disadvantage when applying specifically for vacation schemes in London at Magic Circle/US law firms. I am a penultimate year law student in India, currently looking at applying for the summer vacation schemes at these firms. I need a little clarity on whether there is any specific bar on international applications, or whether they face any significant challenges in the process. Though VISA issues are not the sole aspect of my concern, if there are any specific concerns regarding this, I'd be really grateful for some guidance to this end as well. Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, I had just wanted to find out whether students studying law in countries other than the UK are at any particular disadvantage when applying specifically for vacation schemes in London at Magic Circle/US law firms. I am a penultimate year law student in India, currently looking at applying for the summer vacation schemes at these firms. I need a little clarity on whether there is any specific bar on international applications, or whether they face any significant challenges in the process. Though VISA issues are not the sole aspect of my concern, if there are any specific concerns regarding this, I'd be really grateful for some guidance to this end as well. Thank you!
Visas are a pretty big issue for most vacation schemes - most firms will not apply for a visa on your behalf, unless it is a programme specifically for candidates from a certain jurisdiction (e.g. some firms have Indian candidate-specific recruitment drives). The reason for this is that they are pretty expensive for a 1-4 week scheme (the cost of the visa is likely to be more than it will be to employ you during that time).

If you know you either have the right to work in the UK or know you can secure a work visa of your own accord, this is likely to stop you being considered for most firms (unfortunately).

Reactions: AvniD and aakriti_3377

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hello, Travers Smith's pre-screening process says we do not re-interview candidates who have unsuccessfully interviewed with the firm in the past. However, neither does the application process nor their website mentions anything about applying only once in one cycle. Does this mean that if I am unsuccessful in the Winter VS application (do not reach the interview stage also), I can re-apply for the Summer VS in the same cycle?
    They do let you reapply in the same year - I did it for direct TC and summer VS.

hzb1107

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 1, 2022
    Hi How would people advise on writing about the open days in application forms? I personally find detailing each open days a bit repetitive as most involves networking and commercial exercises.

eric212

Standard Member
    Aug 24, 2022
    Hi - when I am inputting my first-year overall grade (I am now in my second year) and it says 'Expected/Predicted or Obtained', what do I put? Do I put the former because I haven't finished uni yet, or the latter as I still obtained the grade?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi - when I am inputting my first-year overall grade (I am now in my second year) and it says 'Expected/Predicted or Obtained', what do I put? Do I put the former because I haven't finished uni yet, or the latter as I still obtained the grade?
    If it is your first year overall grade, and your overall grade for uni, then my best guess is that you could simply select 'obtained'.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi How would people advise on writing about the open days in application forms? I personally find detailing each open days a bit repetitive as most involves networking and commercial exercises.
    I wouldn’t provide details of what the open day entailed. I would focus on the specifics of what you learned or gained from attending. As a recruiter, I don’t need to know there was a negotiation exercise, but I would be interested to know more about what you enjoyed or learned from doing a negotiations exercise.

Reactions: AvniD and hzb1107

time2work

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 7, 2020
    Hi guys, any tips or resources for smashing the WG? (I have typically struggled w this application component) I have three days until the LL Watson Glaser test link expires. If I have to purchase some practice tests, I would also appreciate a recommendation of the best websites/company.

time2work

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 7, 2020
    Also wondering if I should still submit my application to A&O's winter vac scheme despite the deadline coming up and apps being rolling? Would it be wiser to redirect my efforts towards their summer vac scheme?

Future_lawyer_somewhere

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 4, 2019
    There is no general pass mark to aim for. You get an invite for the test soon after you submit the app and have 48 hours to complete the test. Within a few days of completing the test, you get an email telling you whether you have passed the SJT and consequently if your app would be reviewed further.
    Thank you for your clarification :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.