TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison.jm

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2022
Does anyone know where good places to stay are in London for a Winter Vac Scheme? On another note, if anyone is interested in sharing accommodation from 11th - 17th let me know!

mckelly

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 19, 2020
Still waiting for Sidley to communicate me the outcome of my interview (guaranteed it’s a PFO as they have given out many offers and the scheme starts in less than 3 weeks). It’s been 2 weeks now since my interview and have sent an email yesterday with no response. I find it really disrespectful tbh as I have taken the time to apply and attend the interview, while working full time. To top it up, they rescheduled my interview to a different day at very short notice - another a sign of disrespect. This just confirms to me the negative vibe I got from them. I was expecting a better treatment from such a top firm, and I am quite disappointed ☹️

(Apologies for the rant)
Couldn't agree with you more. Had the same experience, but I actually got the VS offer after calling them after 2 weeks. Hence, I'd suggest you call them directly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know where good places to stay are in London for a Winter Vac Scheme? On another note, if anyone is interested in sharing accommodation from 11th - 17th let me know!
If cost is a major consideration, then consider staying somewhere on the ThamesLink line (north - south) or Crossrail (east-west) lines further out. The trains will be regular enough to get you into the city but it will probably be 40-60% cheaper than staying locally.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Has anyone heard anything post-application for Dechert’s Spring scheme? Currently finalising my application, but I’m unsure whether it’s too late to apply for Spring given they’re rolling and we’re about a week away from the deadline.

confusedstudent

Sep 20, 2022
As an international student studying in the UK it's incredibly disheartening that lots of summer/winter schemes this year seem to overlap with university term-time, preventing me from applying due to my visa restrictions. I know that I could just apply for a direct TC, but without having done a vacation scheme before it might just lead to a PFO especially since so many firms recruit mainly from their VS :(

Reactions: cyberjaz1116

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
As an international student studying in the UK it's incredibly disheartening that lots of summer/winter schemes this year seem to overlap with university term-time, preventing me from applying due to my visa restrictions. I know that I could just apply for a direct TC, but without having done a vacation scheme before it might just lead to a PFO especially since so many firms recruit mainly from their VS :(
Could you interact with the firm in other ways? Complete their Forage/virtual work experience programmes/attend their open days? If so, this can be an alternative way to set yourself up for a direct TC process without having done a vacation scheme.

Reactions: AvniD

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Couldn't agree with you more. Had the same experience, but I actually got the VS offer after calling them after 2 weeks. Hence, I'd suggest you call them directly
Ok, I’ll give them a call. Obviously I would accept an offer if made (just because I’m desperate lol), but I’d reject them if I had multiple offers. It really put me off… Oh well, it is what it is!! I’ll focus on getting more applications in😊😊

strugglinglawstudent99

Junior Lawyer
Jul 19, 2022
Please does anyone know how I would go about swapping my WVS to a spring one?? I’m so desperate as I physically cannot do the winter and it was my last preference
I got a WVS offer and asked to swap it to the summer cause I'd already committed to another WVS before their offer came in (I just told GR that generally that I had some important last minute commitments come up). They invited me to reapply to the summer VS separately instead and withdrew my WVS offer so that I could reapply, but only after confirming for sure that I couldn't make it for the WVS!

In the system it shows my WVS application withdrawn, and I think they did that so I could reapply. They said it was because they assess candidates relative to others applying for the same scheme. Not sure if it's the same for other firms - I've heard of people who have moved between schemes before. Best bet is to ask them but maybe in a slightly roundabout way that doesn't make it seem like you want to pull out.

readylawyer1

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 16, 2021
Hey everyone, does anyone know if Sullivan & Cromwell placing my application on hold is a good sign?
Has anyone already been invited to interview?

Hi, so from the Legal Cheek Law Fair today someone asked that question in the chat and Grad Rec basically said they review on a rolling basis but don't offer interviews until after the deadline, so being placed on hold means they like your application but can't offer you an interview yet, so definitely a positive sign!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

lawforme123

Oct 30, 2022
Jones Day Summer VS! :) got a call yesterday morning.
The partner was impressed apparently and offered me the option to choose Winter VS instead. Over the moon but I can't join the WVS (or even the Spring one) because I'm a tier 4 holder and term time clashes :( Since Jones Day operate on a rolling basis system and on the website it says "We offer around 15 training contracts per year and as the offers are made following each scheme and by nature of the rolling basis, we have the majority of vacancies available at the earliest point in the cycle (winter)"

@Jessica Booker or anyone who has insight in this, do you think I'll be disadvantaged by joining the Summer VS? I'm happy and worried at the same time haha
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply/when was your interview, and did you apply for the WVS or another scheme?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi, this is very interesting! I have a follow-up question regarding mentioning mental illness or similar things. Let's say I have had to battle with undiagnosed ADHD throughout my life and a few years back I received a diagnosis, allowing me to work through the symptoms, understand myself better, receive medication and increase my productivity.

Obviously, I would have to phrase this in a way that is appropriate and insightful, but provided I do this, do you think it could still be a bad idea to mention having ADHD at that stage? I am thinking that after all, it is not something that one can "heal" from, and therefore it is possible that the recruiters would still consider this as a sign that the applicant is less hard-working and might have a harder time working long hours or doing the more "boring" tasks...

What would you advise? Should I avoid mentioning it? And if I still did, should I emphasize the good sides like being energetic, curious, out-of-the-box thinking etc... even though it might sound like I am admitting that efficiency/focus/prioritization/punctuality are not my strengths...?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the very specific question!
Thanks for your questions @Elsa3.1415.

The way I'd structure this would be to talk about having undiagnosed ADHD ➡️ briefly describe the impact (symptoms, less productivity) and how it got better (getting diagnosed, medication, therapy etc.) ➡️ elaborate on how this experience shaped you as a person (i.e. what character traits did you develop as a result) by adding specific examples.

For example, if you say you developed persistence because of this experience➡️ back it up with a reason/evidence. Essentially, what experiences did you have to get through even though they were uncomfortable or challenging?

Think about the character traits in the image below for inspiration- which ones do you feel you resonate the most? You mentioned energetic, curious, out-of-box thinking- these all sound great but you must back them up with clear examples of when you developed or applied them.

I don't think talking about ADHD necessarily means that you are admitting to certain weaknesses, and especially so if you have sought treatment and are getting better. From the little I know about this topic, I believe it is increasingly considered as a type of neurodivergence and its acceptability and understanding as a condition is much greater.

In the end, you could try a draft answer, get it reviewed by us here at TCLA or anyone else you trust (friends, family, uni careers service etc.) and if you feel like you're not able to convey how ADHD shaped you as a person or if you're unsure about it, you can take you answer in another direction that you're more comfortable with and that would be perfectly fine as well.

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 09.40.13.png

• 🏆
Reactions: Erin

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, this is very interesting! I have a follow-up question regarding mentioning mental illness or similar things. Let's say I have had to battle with undiagnosed ADHD throughout my life and a few years back I received a diagnosis, allowing me to work through the symptoms, understand myself better, receive medication and increase my productivity.

Obviously, I would have to phrase this in a way that is appropriate and insightful, but provided I do this, do you think it could still be a bad idea to mention having ADHD at that stage? I am thinking that after all, it is not something that one can "heal" from, and therefore it is possible that the recruiters would still consider this as a sign that the applicant is less hard-working and might have a harder time working long hours or doing the more "boring" tasks...

What would you advise? Should I avoid mentioning it? And if I still did, should I emphasize the good sides like being energetic, curious, out-of-the-box thinking etc... even though it might sound like I am admitting that efficiency/focus/prioritization/punctuality are not my strengths...?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the very specific question!
@AvniD has already provided you with some excellent advice on this, but I wanted to add my perspective both as a recruiter and as someone recently diagnosed with ADHD.

It is not a bad thing to mention ADHD. Firstly, it isn't a mental illness but a form of neuro-diversity. Law firms know that some of their best lawyers are those who are neuro-diverse (including those with ADHD). From experience (both as someone working with people with ADHD and through my own experience), they are rarely "less hard-working" - if anything, it is typically the opposite - they work too long hours and push themselves too hard, often leading to burnout. However, each person's circumstances are always different regarding how the neurodiverse condition applies to them individually, as it can be very different from one person to the next. For instance, time-keeping and punctuality can actually be a strength for many people with ADHD.

My general advice for these types of topics, whether in a competency question or when describing mitigating circumstances, is to focus on the learning process around managing your neurodiversity. Everyone has different strengths/weaknesses, whether you are neurodiverse or not. Being self-aware of your personal strengths/weaknesses and educating yourself on how best to balance these out (and utilising certain strengths to compensate for weaknesses) is actually a powerful combination no matter how your brain works. These are the bits you have to focus on as it shows you have taken responsibility for your personal learning and growth.

cls33

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 3, 2022
Just seen train strikes have been announced for 13th-14th December, so I'm a bit concerned I won't be able to make it to the Slaughter and May winter workshop. I'm guessing plenty of others will be in the same boat - does anyone have experience with what the firm might do (if anything) in this situation?
I thought the same thing. I think train strike days are normally wfh days so assuming they will either make it virtual or move dates, would really prefer the latter. I was going to email and ask, have you got in contact with them?

gw9

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 28, 2022
I thought the same thing. I think train strike days are normally wfh days so assuming they will either make it virtual or move dates, would really prefer the latter. I was going to email and ask, have you got in contact with them?
Agreed! Yep, I emailed about an hour ago - I can let you know when they reply?

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
Does anybody know if firms you have committed to joining for Vac Scheme send ULaw or BPP your info? I got an email from one of them this morning about enrolling in the PGDL/SQE course and I never requested information. I find it curious that I just accepted a Summer VS at a firm and then I get this email. Thanks.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I never did a vac scheme and got my TC through the direct route as an international aplicant- it's absolutely possible to find success through this route and the important thing is to ensure that you're tailoring your apps for the direct TC process. I'll attach a thread that I made on this so you can get a better idea of how you need to tailor your apps. Let me know if this helps!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Uvaia and Adrian_S
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.