Training Contract Success Stories

D.Cole

Future Trainee
Apr 12, 2019
The other day I spoke to someone who went through three recruitment rounds before finally being offered a training contract with a great firm. I’m on my second (likely unsuccessful) round and I’m trying not to give up hope, so I find stories like this really inspiring and would love to hear them.

Current and future trainees, did anyone have to go through more than one recruitment round to get a training contract? What happened? Why do you think you were ultimately successful?

Looking forward to hearing some inspiring stories!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hey there, really nice thread idea!

Many TCLA members have shared their success stories in different threads on the forum, but it is a great idea to have them all in one place. I've quoted the stories that I remember reading off the top of my head, it would be nice if other people could add the ones I may have missed! :)

@Maccie's story:

Hi everyone! I have been talking to a few people on private messages lately and I know some of you have felt let down by disappointing outcomes in this whole application process. I quite like comparing this to The Apprentice: a truly nerve-wracking process, involving intense competition and requiring so much effort for an uncertain outcome where it sometimes feels that the odds are against you. I felt like I had to share my short story here.

In March 2018, I was finally confident I wanted to become a solicitor and apply for training contracts: I thus started directly applying for training contracts at a number of law firms. And by "a number", I mean 35. Most of you have been here long enough to know my whole approach was a mistake and my applications were indeed so terrible at the time. In September, I got my head back in the game and started spending significantly more time per application, having many people give me advice, reading through this forum and I accepted that going to the pub one less time in the week was a fair sacrifice for my future (but do not feel obliged to do so; keeping a social life is a good way to remain sane!). And that did not work: I sent 8 applications and I received 7 more rejections. At that point, I kept applying because I'm the kind of person who refuses to give up and I would have submitted another hundred of applications before giving up but my hope was gone, in the cemetery of hopes, buried right next to Theresa May's hope for a Brexit deal.

However, you've probably done the maths by now: out of 8 applications, 7 rejections means one firm invited me to take a Watson Glaser test. It was a firm I held in very high regard: I had met them on campus a few times, I knew they were a perfect cultural fit, they offered work I could only dream of doing and they are leaders in many fields. In fact, I liked the firm so much that I had little hope when sending my application: why would they pick mine, the seven-time reject, out of 3900 applicants every year? I had somewhat accepted that my dream firm was not an option and that I would have to settle for less. Yet, here I was, taking a Watson Glaser test for that firm. I had already spent a lot of time practicing for these, so I took it rather quickly. 24 hours later, I was invited to an assessment centre to be held a week later: after so many rejections, I could not let that chance get away, so I locked myself in my room for a week and prepared as hard as I could, trying to focus on that one objective and not be distracted. There is also this one sentence I read on this forum that stuck with me from the moment I was invited to an AC: 'it only takes one.' I swear these four words have stuck with me ever since I read them. I had an amazing day there. And two days later, I got a phone call: you're being offered a place on our vacation scheme. 3 weeks later, I'm walking in, and, fast-forward another two of the most amazing weeks of my life (and probably the most painful wait too), I get a phone call: I'm being offered a training contract by the firm I had no dreams of even getting into for an open day. And at that point, all of a sudden, all these rejections have left my mind and I could not care less that other firms had rejected me (their loss!)

My point is that it is sometimes good to believe in faith: it takes a lot of courage, strength and a bit of luck to get there but I have no doubt that, eventually, you will. Believe in yourselves and remember: it may take more than one assessment centre, more than one Watson Glaser, more than one description of 'a time when you had to face a challenge' but in the end, it will have only taken one. It takes one firm to say yes. If you wanna discuss anything, I'm always happy to answer my private messages but, in the meantime, during this nerve-racking process, try to always keep these words in the back of your mind: it only takes one.

@Salma's story:

Hi Guys,

I am pleased to finally announce that I have just accepted a training contract offer at a a magic circle firm after 2 years of applying and facing so many rejections. A massive thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences and tips on the forum. I do not think it would have been possible without you all, so, thank you. Lastly, best of luck with your remaining applications, interviews and AC prep, I know many of you will succeed and also obtain training contract offers very very soon so keep persevering, it only takes ONE yes!!!

@AJ's story:

After 59 applications over the course of a number of cycles, countless rejections and giving it blood, sweat and tears, I’ve finally managed to secure a Training Contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beyond my wildest dreams. Thank you to everyone on here that’s helped along the way!

The process is brutal and stressful!! At one point, I had given up! But, there is hope! Stay strong! It just takes one! Just one yes! Just one person to believe in you! The feeling of getting that offer is unreal! I promise you, it makes all the blood, sweat and tears worth it!!

#Keep believing! #It only takes one!

I’ve posted these lame movie quotes before, but remember:

“Others may question your credentials, your papers, your degrees. Others may look for all kinds of ways to diminish your worth. But what is inside you no one can take from you or tarnish. This is your worth, who you really are, your degree that can go with you wherever you go, that you bring with you the moment you come into a room, that can't be manipulated or shaken. Without that sense of self, no amount of paper, no pedigree, and no credentials can make you legit. No matter what, you have to feel legit inside first.”

“Don’t ever let someone tell you they can’t do something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. When people can’t do something themselves they’re gona tell you can’t do it. You want something. Go get it. Period.”

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that.”

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
@KC's story:

Hello guys. I just accepted a TC from Links. It still feels unreal. This was my first AC and I was lucky enough to get the offer. I never thought that I would be able to make it when I was filling the applications form in the winter. I really didn't expect anything as I have received countless rejections for first-year schemes, and I don't think there's anything special in me. So when I received my AC invite, I believed it was just luck and I would almost defo screw up because it just seems so hard and I don't believe in myself. But anyway, I didn't give up and I did my best to prep for it. After I walked out of the interview room that day, I honestly thought it exploded and that was the end. But I guess miracles do happen, and all the hard work does pay off.

So guys, remember, never give up! During the process, don't worry too much about whether you will get good results. We all fail but we learn and reflect. That's how we improve. Just keep working and focusing on what you are doing. Hang in there and you never know what's going to happen!

Lastly, I just want to say a massive thank you to Jaysen, and I don't think it will be possible with him :)

All the best.

My own story:

Hey everyone,

I'm very overjoyed to share that I have finally accepted a training contract with the literal firm of my dreams, after over two years of applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. Funnily enough, the firm I will be joining had previously rejected me at the application stage just last year!

For everyone still chasing that elusive training contract, I just wanted to share a small reminder to never let anyone discourage you from pursuing your dreams. I come from a fairly unconventional academic background, having completed only two years of my law degree in the UK instead of the full three. I have never been able to secure a vacation scheme, and most of my work experience was obtained in local law firms back in my home country. I cannot count the number of times I was discouraged by career advisers, GR at law fairs, and even a partner at an open day, who all told me that I would be extremely unlikely to succeed on direct training contract applications because I had not completed a vacation scheme, or because I didn’t have any UK work experience.

For a while, I let the naysayers get to me. Any ACs I did manage to land, I attributed to pure luck, and performed extremely poorly in interviews as a result. However, I was lucky to have an amazing support group who helped me regather my confidence, and this cycle, I had the unbelievable fortune of securing not one but three training contract offers as the result of direct training contract applications.

Believe that you can and you are more than halfway there. Know your worth, and give yourself credit for getting as far as you have. I remember being in absolute despair over countless rejections, failed tests and interviews, and feeling like I could never make it, or that I wasn’t good enough. Take the time to reflect on how far you have come since you first started, and remember that even though you may not be the best, you will be set apart by your determination to be better.

Wishing all of you the very best of luck for your applications, and thank you to every member of this wonderful TCLA community for your support and comradeship! Looking forward to hearing of all of your successes this year!

@Raphael Yan Bing Khoo's story:

After several rejections post-interviews at other MC firms, I finally received a TC offer from CC!

The application process is both mentally and emotionally draining. Don't get disheartened when you receive a rejection; use it as a way to improve and further develop yourself. Take in the feedback and change your interview strategy based on what they say. For instance, a feedback I received after a rejection was that my answers for some motivational-esque questions (why law, why commercial law, why the firm) were too formulaic and rehearsed. After talking to several seniors, I decided to change my entire approach and give an interesting example and/or story for each question asked. I tried cracking a few jokes in the interview to make the interviewers laugh; it helps with the rapport-building too. And it worked! It makes you more personable and likeable. Interviewers (especially partners) are looking for someone who can fit into their firm culture rather than someone who knows all the answers.

For instance, at the CC Competency interview, I spent the first 10mins talking about the interviewer's area of practice and asked her to explain it to me in a simple way. I tried giving interesting examples when she asked the competency questions: proudest achievement (climbing a mountain), teamwork (playing in a guitar ensemble), resilience (getting lost in the jungle and finding my way out). We ended up having a very pleasant conversation!

To be a good interviewee, it's always nice to remember the name of the person who interviewed you and send them an e-mail to thank them for their time. It won't help your application necessarily but it's one way to build a connection with them should you eventually get the scheme!

Good luck to everyone on this forum!! you just need one

• 🏆
  • 🤝
Reactions: m24, Kelvin and Daniel Boden

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
@Zahra's story:

Hey everyone! Please bear with me for the very lengthy post...

I am delighted to announce that I have just been offered a TC! Needless to say it has been a real journey to get to this point, and I feel the need to share mine because I really wish someone had explained to me that:
1. things will only always happen when the timing is right for YOU;
2. you can have a goal, and plan out your whole life working towards that goal.... only to realise it's not what you wanted in the end... and that's okay.

I initially embarked on a career at the Bar. In the last two years, I made 18 pupillage applications. I received 16 flat out rejections. I had interviews with two sets', but didn't succeed in any. I could not for the life of me understand why things weren't working out. Every time I was about to start healing from a rejection, it would happen again. The worst thing was I couldn't deal with my emotions and had to soldier on as I had continuous exams going on for the Bar. It took some time for me to pick myself up before I could decide what my next steps would be.

After I finished the BPTC, I moved to my home country. I spent some time recharging, recouping and reflecting. I then decided to take up a job and work with English qualified solicitors. I realised that my skill-set and personality traits were better suited for a career at a law firm... I had a hard time accepting this as choosing to switch career routes would mean I would have to start from scratch.. but then I realised that we are all on our own journeys, and we need to have faith in them.

So I spent the last three months focusing on applying to my dream firm using all the resources the Corporate Law Academy offered; engaging with the lovely members from this online community; and drawing on all the lessons I learnt from my previous applications.

Today, I was offered an opportunity with Clifford Chance.

Through this entire process and my pupillage applications, these are some of my reflections:
  1. If you have attempted a TC application and don't succeed, try and reflect on how to make it better for the next stage. But if you have done everything you can in your power and still don't succeed - chances are the FIRM is not right for YOU, not that YOU aren't right for the FIRM. This is what I realised after my pupillage and interview experiences.
  2. Take the time to understand your strengths, what makes you unique, and make sure you highlight them in your application. I would always talk about my communication skills, but I realised that everyone who is applying to become a barrister/solicitor probably has them. So this time round, I decided to use my diversity as my key strength. It worked.
  3. You may not understand why things aren't going your way, but they always happen for a reason. I would have probably been miserable having to learn the bar wasn't right for me after obtaining pupillage; or if I didn't take up my new job, I probably wouldn't have gotten the necessary experience/confidence to apply for TC's.
  4. Do not be afraid of change and embrace every experience that comes your way with an open mind.
  5. Do not give up!

I hope this helps anyone who feels like things aren't going their way.

A huge huge thank you to everyone for their contributions on this forum, without which I couldn't have possibly gotten this opportunity.

@Yee Rou Quah's story:

As we are in the midst of application season, I thought I would share what I learnt in my journey to obtain a training contact. I started applying for training contracts during my second year of university, in 2013. I received a training contract offer this year, in 2018. I write this in the hope that it will encourage you and show you that if I can do it, so can you.

1. Focus on yourself

This is easier said than done but, do not compare yourself with your peers. We are all guilty of this. I often compared myself with friends who are younger than me and who received training contracts in their second year, or peers who were qualifying when I was still attending vacation schemes. But I realised that comparing myself with these people only left me discouraged and disheartened, and further lowered my self-confidence, which had a negative impact on my applications.

2. Progress not perfection

There are many hurdles to finally obtaining that training contract: application form, psychometric test(s), telephone interview/ video interview, assessment day, vacation scheme, and final partner interview. It is heart-breaking to make progress and think ‘This is it! This is my chance!’ only to be told that once again, you were not successful. It is important to acknowledge your victories, whilst also learning from your mistakes. When I first started applying for training contracts, I would be rejected based on my application form. However, as the years progressed, I learnt what it means to submit a strong application. The next challenge for me is then to improve my interview skills! Give yourself credit for overcoming each hurdle, and remind yourself how far you have come.

3. Take it seriously

You would have heard this advice over and over again: make tailored applications. My first round of applications was unfocused- I didn’t know what areas of law I was interested in and what I wanted to do. I was just applying to the same firms that everyone else was applying to! It wasn’t until during the LPC and whilst working as a paralegal that I realised what I was truly fascinated by. Working in the practice area was eye-opening for me as it showed me the realities of what lawyers do. Ask yourself: Which areas of law might you potentially be interested in practising in? Is there anyone you can speak to to get an idea of the realities of the job? Are there any other resources that you can utilise to gain this understanding?

Prepare, prepare, and prepare when you have been invited to an interview and/or an assessment day. Do not only start preparing the day before the interview! Think about the questions that are bound to come up. Anticipating questions helped me tremendously- I realised that I could estimate most of the interview questions that come up during the assessment day. I turned to Student Room extensively during my preparation as many students who have been through the same process posted there. I also looked at questions I was asked at previous assessment days where I had been unsuccessful and made sure that for the next assessment day, I would have strong answers prepared.

4. Practice makes perfect

Psychometric tests are challenging. Most of us do not find it easy. There is no shortcut to this: you have to make time to practise. If possible, spend at least an hour a day practising these tests seven days before the day that you are going to do the test. There are many websites on the internet that offer practice packs (some which are free, others which come with a cost).

I feared video interviews the most. It is difficult to articulate clearly when you only have 30 seconds to prepare and one minute to answer! I recorded myself on my phone to practise. Through this process I learnt how long my answer was, what the main points I wanted to get across were, and how I could articulate the answer more succinctly.

Don’t be afraid to ask your friends for help. I asked my friends to conduct mock interviews for me and to participate in mock group exercises with me by bribing them with pizza! There are also practice packs available for these exercises on the internet.

5. Utilise your resources

I did not have any contacts in the legal industry and/or the City. None of my family are lawyers. I come from a first generation immigrant family. It was easy, at first, to feel resentful towards my friends who had contacts and managed to obtain work experiences that way, which they then used to get that vacation scheme, which they then converted to a training contract. At one point, I felt that it was impossible for me. Alas, the legal industry belonged to the elite. If you are the same, do not let this stop you! Many of us in the legal industry are committed to diversity and inclusion. I utilised the support offered by Aspiring Solicitors, Student Room, and the Corporate Law Academy. Help was out there from the beginning- I just had to ask for it!

6. Persevere and persist

If you have decided that this is your chosen career, do not give up! Yes, it is difficult, and yes, it will be worth it. The resilience you develop as you bounce back after each rejection will only help you in your future legal career. The last six years haven't been easy, but I have learnt so much from it. It is what I learnt about myself that is the biggest takeaway for me. I learnt that I can be organised and self-disciplined. I can work full-time whilst spending weekends and bank holidays writing application forms and preparing for interviews. As I overcome hurdles that once seemed like mountains to climb, I gained that self-confidence which I lacked and realised that as long as I was willing to put the work in, I can do it. I learnt what my career means to me and how determined I am to succeed. All this, I believe, will only assist me during my training contract and beyond.

We are all going through different journeys. You have your own path. Focus on this, continue to improve, and make the most out of the opportunities in front of you!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Great idea to collate these posts!

A few more:

@[B]Hamza[/B]'s story
    Hi Sameer,

I know it can be disheartening when you’re in the situation and people are securing things and moving on in life - but look at it from the perspective of an outside observer for one minute. There’s victory and courage in not settling for less but instead getting what you want - and trust me, you will get what you want. Never let the doubt of others allow you to create self-doubt - it’s crazy what boundaries inner confidence can overcome.

I am now about to start my TC at a MC firm, and it took me a while to say the least with many ups and downs and many ‘i’ve moved on’s. My main barrier was that in uni during first and second year I got down-right awful grades (some of this was due to extenuating circumstances and some of it was my own fault).

I come from what some might call an “underprivileged” background, with no contacts and no insight into the industry or the path or the model to follow. Luckily I got all A’s during A levels from my state school (maybe a miracle more than luck now that I think about that school). But my uni grades were bad, however I managed to pull them up during third year and scrape a 2.1.

After graduating I wasn’t too stuck on getting into corporate law, my obsession was gradual. I applied after graduating only because it seemed logical. I got straight rejections (I tried to sell the story that as I got good in A levels and in my third year - the grades in my first years at uni were an anomaly; they didn’t buy it). They also seemed not to care about mitigating circumstances. I guess those rejections were as a result of just beginning my applications journey (drafting great app’s is actually an art) and my low grades.

I didn’t care too much, and my mind was on other pursuits/projects. But it was when friends and family started doubting me that I thought, wait, how can they think I can’t do this. I always think there’s a way - and when my mind gets on to something that’s it my life becomes about that. I knew I had to stand out and do something bold (I had no work experience in law), so I started networking with partners (either at events or simply reaching out to them on their emails which I got from websites). Through this I got work experience at a great US firm - nice points for my CV. But it still didn’t help with TC applications. During this time I was working in other places.

As I went deeper into understanding the corporate and commercial world, my interest developed in emerging markets and private equity. So I reached out to an alumnus of my uni as he was working in this space (i found him through an online search). We met and he was starting a corporate finance firm doing introductions between African corporates wanting to raise money and international investors with an appetite for risk. I ended up joining this small group of professionals with an entrepreneurial streak - even though they had no money to pay me apart from lunch and travel (they had 0 revenues for a long time - the business of dealmaking is one that takes a lot of groundwork, which is even harder when starting up in this area, and after that work you may get one deal after months/years that makes you enough money for years to come). So there I was, for one year working for no money - others thought I was crazy. But where they saw time-wasting I saw opportunity - opportunity to learn, opportunity to maybe network with more law partners and worm my way into recommendations from these partners when giving in my app’s, opportunity to learn about an exciting industry and show off my skills in the TC app’s, or opporunity to stay on at this firm and make more money than lawyers if it so went.

I learnt so much from this place, I went to important meetings that i’d never be allowed in on but as the team was so small I was given more responsibility - but more than that I think they took pity on the fact that I wasn’t earning any money and also not being given any equity in their business. So their currency for me was what I could learn there. And I took it all in.

During this time it so happened that my colleagues there needed advice on expanding their business into something new, and I knew a partner at a law firm (who I got to know through my networking) who worked in this area. I knew that this was my chance. I connected the two parties for a meeting, and the partner was so impressed after the meeting. He saw my potential. My introduction helped me to overcome my grades issue, and got my application passed the screening level so that I had an interview. But I had to do well on that interview, on the vac scheme and on the TC interview. Voila - that’s most of my story but i’ve also left a lot out as this is now becoming an essay.

This is not to show off, but to show you that there is always a way. It took me a few years, but I am so grateful that I didn’t get my TC after graduating and didn’t become a ‘new grad’ in a ‘new bubble’. My experience has made me more worldly, I understand the world a lot more and all the opportunities on offer - and I made the decision to go in to law and accept the TC for personal reasons- but I could have easily said no and had to contemplate a lot before accepting the offer - because when you understand the world and all opportunities on offer, choices become tougher. I also learned a lot about myself and developed a lot, skills that I wouldn’t even gain in a law firm (I also worked in sales at some point in this process - something I recommend everyone does at least once in their lives).

If you want a TC at corporate law firm, my concluding advice is to be creative and bold. And live your life, work in sales, work in crazy things and understand the world and yourself - you may realise that law is not the glamorous industry you thought it was, or you might think it is the place you want to be, or you may realise that it’s not the best place to be but for your larger ambitions it’s right for now. Keep going, don’t give up, if you want it you can get it - you just need to think outside the box. If I can get it then anyone can.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Anonymous

"Well, of course, we do have some students who flourish in the sixth form, but until you do, you may want to re-consider your university and career choices…”.

These were the words of the assistant head at my former school in my interview for a place in the sixth form when I told him I wanted to go into law. The same words which still rang in my head the day I received a phone call that I had been given a training contract offer from an elite US law firm. (Would like to take this opportunity to thank Jaysen and the rest of the team at the Corporate Law Academy yet again).

Of course, I was elated and have accepted – after all, it was everything I had been working for, for the past 5 years, and is with a dream firm of mine. But one of the more unexpected feelings that I wake up with every morning now is humility and gratefulness. Which is why when Jaysen asked me to write a short motivational piece I happily obliged.

Given that it is the time of the year when training contract offers are being given out, being rejected can be (excuse the language) a bit shit to say the least. As there is more than enough content on this site alone on application and interview technique, I thought I’d share a bit about my journey and my two cents on the bits that not everyone talks about and I too often found myself wishing someone had told me earlier – in the hope that this provides some sort of inspiration to at least someone out there.

My family moved to the U.K from a developing country when I was still a toddler. My father died when I was six years old and so we grew up on benefits, for the majority of my school years anyway. It wasn’t until my one of my elder siblings graduated from university and began working that things got a little brighter. For the most part though, life was pretty shit. Growing up in a really bad area my neighbours don’t speak English, there are extremely high levels of unemployment and low levels of higher education and I’ve been mugged more times than I can remember, and at knifepoint, to mention a few.

Before this turns into a woe is me story, I’ll talk about the first thing I believe was key to my success, something everyone should focus on and is actually my answer to the dreaded interview question ‘What is your greatest strength?’ – being so motivated/driven it translates to an absurd work ethic.

Somehow, I did get into a good school, but still with little guidance I could have done a lot better and it wasn’t until just before A-levels I began to focus on turning myself around with the support of the one teacher I did have. But of course, during my first year of AS it was to no avail and I got B, B, C and a D in my four subjects. The next year I got an A*, A, B in the three I chose to continue.

I still maintain that hard work was the key for such a turnaround. In fact, when I did get into a top 10 university and felt like I didn’t belong, I realised it was one of the things I did know how to do – work hard. I proceeded to do so and rationalised it to myself and everyone I’ve had the pleasure of mentoring, this way: the only thing you can control is how hard you work; you can’t control what will come up on your exam paper, in the assessment centre or the interview or the marking or review of anything.

Whether you believe in luck (and a bit of all success is), God, fate or whatever else focus on what you can control. I’ve found this to be a way of minimising regret as well, because hey you don’t want to receive the result of anything and think I wish I had worked just a little harder on that. If you put in 110% into your efforts if something doesn’t work out I’ve always found that I was ok with it, purely for this reason. I stuck with this mantra throughout university and hey, it’s paid off so far.

What I didn’t mention though were the mental health issues I’ve had in the past, one of which is particularly relevant to what most will naturally feel during applications. After getting quite bad AS grades I began to doubt myself and combined with the pressure of wanting to achieve my goals and familial responsibilities I began to develop an anxiety disorder, which continued throughout the early stages of university. So how do you deal with the constant pit in your stomach? Outside of visiting the GP and related healthcare professionals, developing a level of emotional intelligence, medication, meditation etc what I can and do recommend to others is to have patience. God damn, the best piece of advice I ever received, which ties into the hard work idea, was from a trainee at Herbert Smith Freehills, who told me to just be patient.

“I can tell you’re good enough, and you will get a training contract, I know it. When? I don’t know. I got a training contract whilst at university, but my best friend has only just got one – she applied for four years straight”. I’ve mulled over these words since and I believe they provide a certain level of tranquillity. Whatever goals I’ve set myself since, and whatever goals you may have for yourself (including getting a training contract), if you want it badly enough you will get it – just be patient.

In summary, 1. focus on what you can control (how hard you work) to minimise regret and anxiety and 2. be patient. I don’t know everything, nor do I profess to, but I do know that the above two principles have helped me through the hardest of times. It’s easy to get bogged down on what others are doing and have achieved and then comparing yourself to them and then stressing and so on and so forth.

Hopefully, this has been of some inspiration to someone, and some help as well. Just know this, you will get whatever you want if you put in 110%, be it now or later. If I got a training contract, anyone can.

P.S. In the meantime, try and enjoy whatever stage of your life you are at (college/university/post-grad), if I could do it all again I would definitely try and enjoy the process a bit more, even if some factors were outside of my control.

Also, read more damn it. One of the other things I am really big on is self-development, as that’s one of the other few things you can control, and when I had little guidance books provided one source of that. If anyone would like, I’d be more than happy to provide some recommendations or a reading list.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    [B]@Leke[/B]'s story
    Thank you Jaysen for the questions.

Did you have to deal with a lot of rejection? Yes.

I faced a lot of rejections. The rejections I found most painful were rejections from those applications where I felt I gave my 90%. To be honest, I took rejections very personally and would get all bitter about them. In fact, I once wrote a short story about being rejected by a City Law firm (a good decision because it got me into the finals of a creative writing competition).

And if so, how did you handle? What made you keep going?

The first thing I did was to develop a CV of failures. I got the idea of a CV of failures from this article at https://www.theguardian.com/educati...professor-publishes-resume-of-his-career-lows

I read this article in my first year. At that time, everyone I followed on LinkedIn all seemed like they had never failed in life at one point or another. Also, around this time, my education was in shambles (I mean a 25% in a Contract Law essay type of shambles). So, after I read this article and spoke to some of the Third years in Exeter about their own failures, I accepted that what I was going through was natural and could either end up motivating someone or end up as a story not worth telling because I gave up. So, I guess that the first thing I did was to accept that people fail even though they do not post it on their LinkedIn. I don’t know if this makes any sense.

The second thing I guess I did was to keep on applying and improving my applications. In my second year, I tried to get as much help as possible. Got into SEO London, utilised my Uni Careers services, read Rosie Watterson’s posts, volunteered to pimp my CV, had my application reviewed by family, and used all the good advice you get but never use. Till now it always makes me wonder why I never reached out for help until my second year. By my second year, I was getting better in my applications and getting higher-level volunteering experiences. Then I struck gold, my Skadden application (I developed this app for two months and attended an open day) got me an AC. I also got two VI’s by the end of the year. But then, my Skadden AC ended badly (self-esteem issues) and my VI’s I could not just be asked to prepare. So, I guess the second thing I did was to reach out for help.

By the way, shout out to @AzanAshai who motivated me by his achievements and his grit. I met Azan at my SEO London AC. He has been someone who has upped my expectations and motivated me in ways he himself does not know.

The third thing was to let people make me persevere:

After I missed my Skadden AC I was like there goes it. Then SEO London hosted this London VC thingy I applied just to be with the herd/banter sakes. Going for it ended up upping my expectations. I discovered TCLA (Jaysen you spoke at the event) and I met this girl who said that if you can get an AC then there is no point giving up in a lowkey way. Also, around this time, I got a mentor in a City law firm. In our first meeting, I felt I had to present a list of firms I was going to apply to, so I came up with a list even though I was like low-key I could not be asked to apply. He also demanded in a low-key way that I continue searching for commercial work experiences even though it was June.

After the meeting, I searched for a couple of experiences and I applied for FT’s legal work experience (I found this experience by some weird odds and got it in August) and other local internships. I was still a bit uneasy about deciding to hope again for getting into a firm through a direct TC app. But then I had to spend summer with my Sister who was breathing fire over my neck to apply so I ended up applying to about 12 TC’s in the course of two months (even though I planned only 4 apps). My sister was 55% my motivation. The other 44% was TCLA, Azan, my mentor and my friends. 1% was me. So, I guess the third thing I did was to let people make me persevere. They made my low self-esteem seem very foolish.

By September, I ended up with two TC offers. I ended up accepting NRF’s offer (fun fact, they rejected me in less than 24 hours when I made my first-year app, and you know that my short story I spoke about earlier, it was about getting rejected from them in my first year). If you want to know, of the 12 apps I made only 4 were successful past the testing stage.

What I’d like to add:

Enjoy the process because things will get better and it is not the question of whether you will get a TC but when you will get a TC (this only applies if you keep at it).

Sorry for getting this in so late. Let me know if there is anything you would like me to expand on.

• 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Alison C, cmaj and Daniel Boden

ftxx

Future Trainee
    Oct 22, 2018
    Hi all!

Just wanted to share my TC story after applying for VS/TCs since 2015 (yep, 5 years of on-and-off applications). After around 20+ applications for both VSs and TCs, I have finally been offered a TC with a global law firm after participating in their vacation scheme. Funnily enough I was rejected by the same firm in 2016 - I had my heart set on this firm, I had met them on campus, talked to a graduate recruitment member over the telephone who emphasized that the firm looked at applications holistically (after talking about my mitigating circumstances) and went away from this call feeling like I had a real chance of getting past the applications stage at least. Unfortunately, just two weeks after submitting my application, I was rejected at the applications stage. I can remember being sat at my desk whilst revising for my upcoming exams, frantically checking my inbox after receiving the email notification and my heart dropping from the application rejection. I also remember crawling into my bed after feeling completely demotivated from revising and shedding a few tears (I know, so dramatic). After that rejection, I was just getting rejection after rejection. Out of the 20+ applications, I only got past the application stage with 4 of the firms (one for a video interview and three for AC invites). Out of them, I was only successful with two of those firms (both for VSs).

It really is a challenging process and add to it my poor academic record (I'm talking not even one A grade in my GCSEs, average A-levels and a 2.2 average during my first and second year of university - I have mitigating circumstances but often times you'd have to be exceptional elsewhere to make up for the academics, which unfortunately I'm not), at times I felt like giving up. But you just have to keep going and be confident in your abilities. That confidence will come across both in your applications and when you're invited for interviews/assessment centres. I was up against candidates with excellent academics, impressive work experiences and positions they've held at school/uni and strong legal connections. In such a competitive process, despite being up against candidates like that, you have to believe that you have something unique to add to the firm. That ultimately comes from being confident throughout the journey. I feel incredibly fortunate when I look at the Linkedins of fellow future trainees of my firm and see that they attended private schools and top 10 universities, as despite not having any of those, I've still landed myself a TC at the same place. This isn't to brag, but to say that you'll be surprised where you end up when you're confident in your potential and make it known to others that you belong in that firm.

I also want to emphasise that there is an element of luck with applications (which will definitely work in your favour when its your time!). I have a friend who has joined an MC firm, but during her application process, was getting rejected left, right and centre but all other firms, including small high-street firms. She still has no clue what made the MC firm tick and what influenced the smaller high-street firms to reject her at application stage. Personally, I was invited for ACs at two Silver Circle firms when I was also being rejected by small high street firms in between.

Finally, use the resources available to us! The conversations I have had with future/current trainees through sources like Aspiring Solicitors, SEO London and of course this website, have been instrumental in my journey to securing a TC. I genuinely wouldn't have landed one without the incredible people who have gone out of their way to answer my many questions on their legal journey. People are so open to sharing their advice, there really isn't a better way to know what to do to get a TC than finding out by those that actually have.

I hope that my essay above has motivated at least someone - gaining a TC isn't the easiest job and for some, maybe the hardest process they ever have to go through in life. But you just need to believe in yourself and your ability. Over the last few years, I have developed a mindset of 'if they can do it, why can't I?'. This type of mindset has definitely kept me going. There will be periods where you'll feel absolutely defeated (particularly after a string of rejections) but as cliche as this sounds, you just need to brush yourself off and keep going.

All the best for those applying, please do message me if you need ANY help or wanting any advice. I'm more than happy to be contacted, even if you need some motivation.

P.s. please please please don't scroll through your Linkedin feed religiously - seeing posts by people who have landed their 4x vacation schemes or who have the dilemma of choosing between two TC offers isn't going to make you feel any better. People won't post that they've been rejected by 10 other firms in the same application cycle.

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 20, 2018
    I thought I’d share my own success story cause I found the stories of others very motivating and inspiring.

I am in my final year of my law degree at a top 10 RG uni. I made 6 VS apps last year and secured one VS at a SC firm. (I completed two video interviews for 2 other firms but was subsequently rejected from both. Note that I had my heart set out on one of the firms, I met them from my first year, went to their on-campus events, Law fairs and even applied for their brand ambassador program). I was so so sad about the outcome of that application cycle but I was glad and happy to have secured one VS, especially as I applied a day before the deadline for that particular firm. So I thought to myself, this has to be the firm for me, it’s a sign. One day before the deadline and I got in! Anyways, I soon got over the rejections and started to look forward to the vac scheme in the summer.

Come summer time, I started the vac scheme. As an international student, I really wanted to convert this VS as I did not have many options. I wanted to enjoy this vac scheme but I just felt strange. Part of this was due to low self esteem and comparing myself to others, and the other half was just cultural fit. I really liked the people but I messed up so bad, I made many mistakes and at a point, I just stopped trying. As you can imagine, I wasn’t offered a TC. This hurt me so so so much (words can’t explain). It was bad cause my friends and people on LinkedIn were getting TC offers and I was just moping around. I had initially planned to make direct TC apps after the vac scheme but I lost motivation and just cried till the point that I never made any apps before the July deadline. So, that was the first cycle gone.

In August, I started to recover and push myself. I decided to apply to most of the firms I applied to in the previous year because my choice of firms hadn’t really changed. I started prepping my answers to apps in August and also started reading and re-reading Stoakes’s books. I made 5 apps for spring VS and I secured a VS at one. The same firm I had my heart set out in first year, I couldn’t believe it! I knew I loved this firm because I had met them before and the firm suited me in every way possible. Global presence, US heritage, cultural fit, quality of work, diverse etc.

I did the spring VS at this firm and I’m so glad to announce that I was offered a TC! I enjoyed the scheme so much, it was phenomenal. During the TC call, grad rec told me that my feedback was very positive for both weeks. Everyone said I was very confident - can you believe that?

After the vac scheme, I asked myself is there anything you wish you hadn’t done? Or is there something you wish you did? My answer was no! That’s when I knew I made the right choice.

So what changed? Confidence! I used to listen to motivational videos every single time and they made a huge difference. We are all capable, success starts with a mindset. I chose to believe in myself and others at the firm did too. I also refused to give up, I chose to believe that things will happen at the right time. When you secure that TC you will see that everything will fall in place, you will be grateful for the failures because they helped you to create your own success story. I don’t regret anything now, I sometimes wonder what my life would be like if I had stayed at the SC firm but I know that it would not have been the best for me.

Keep going, have faith in yourself, your time will surely come. No one tells you about their failures, I cried so many times, it was actually insane. Don’t compare yourself to anyone!!

Finally, feel free to send me a message if you need any help/advice. I hope my story helps.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Wow, the stories on this thread have actually moved me a little! Even though I haven't met any of you guys I feel such a tremendous sense of pride for all of your tremendous successes. It really is so inspiring to read people getting into their dream firms! Feeling incredibly motivated and inspired going into my vacation scheme with what I think is my dream firm this summer so thank you guys for that! :D

Last edited:

Larry

Feb 22, 2019
    How inspiring and motivating!! Thank you for sharing. I definitely won't stop anytime soon, no matter how long it takes.

Hi all!

Just wanted to share my TC story after applying for VS/TCs since 2015 (yep, 5 years of on-and-off applications). After around 20+ applications for both VSs and TCs, I have finally been offered a TC with a global law firm after participating in their vacation scheme. Funnily enough I was rejected by the same firm in 2016 - I had my heart set on this firm, I had met them on campus, talked to a graduate recruitment member over the telephone who emphasized that the firm looked at applications holistically (after talking about my mitigating circumstances) and went away from this call feeling like I had a real chance of getting past the applications stage at least. Unfortunately, just two weeks after submitting my application, I was rejected at the applications stage. I can remember being sat at my desk whilst revising for my upcoming exams, frantically checking my inbox after receiving the email notification and my heart dropping from the application rejection. I also remember crawling into my bed after feeling completely demotivated from revising and shedding a few tears (I know, so dramatic). After that rejection, I was just getting rejection after rejection. Out of the 20+ applications, I only got past the application stage with 4 of the firms (one for a video interview and three for AC invites). Out of them, I was only successful with two of those firms (both for VSs).

It really is a challenging process and add to it my poor academic record (I'm talking not even one A grade in my GCSEs, average A-levels and a 2.2 average during my first and second year of university - I have mitigating circumstances but often times you'd have to be exceptional elsewhere to make up for the academics, which unfortunately I'm not), at times I felt like giving up. But you just have to keep going and be confident in your abilities. That confidence will come across both in your applications and when you're invited for interviews/assessment centres. I was up against candidates with excellent academics, impressive work experiences and positions they've held at school/uni and strong legal connections. In such a competitive process, despite being up against candidates like that, you have to believe that you have something unique to add to the firm. That ultimately comes from being confident throughout the journey. I feel incredibly fortunate when I look at the Linkedins of fellow future trainees of my firm and see that they attended private schools and top 10 universities, as despite not having any of those, I've still landed myself a TC at the same place. This isn't to brag, but to say that you'll be surprised where you end up when you're confident in your potential and make it known to others that you belong in that firm.

I also want to emphasise that there is an element of luck with applications (which will definitely work in your favour when its your time!). I have a friend who has joined an MC firm, but during her application process, was getting rejected left, right and centre but all other firms, including small high-street firms. She still has no clue what made the MC firm tick and what influenced the smaller high-street firms to reject her at application stage. Personally, I was invited for ACs at two Silver Circle firms when I was also being rejected by small high street firms in between.

Finally, use the resources available to us! The conversations I have had with future/current trainees through sources like Aspiring Solicitors, SEO London and of course this website, have been instrumental in my journey to securing a TC. I genuinely wouldn't have landed one without the incredible people who have gone out of their way to answer my many questions on their legal journey. People are so open to sharing their advice, there really isn't a better way to know what to do to get a TC than finding out by those that actually have.

I hope that my essay above has motivated at least someone - gaining a TC isn't the easiest job and for some, maybe the hardest process they ever have to go through in life. But you just need to believe in yourself and your ability. Over the last few years, I have developed a mindset of 'if they can do it, why can't I?'. This type of mindset has definitely kept me going. There will be periods where you'll feel absolutely defeated (particularly after a string of rejections) but as cliche as this sounds, you just need to brush yourself off and keep going.

All the best for those applying, please do message me if you need ANY help or wanting any advice. I'm more than happy to be contacted, even if you need some motivation.

P.s. please please please don't scroll through your Linkedin feed religiously - seeing posts by people who have landed their 4x vacation schemes or who have the dilemma of choosing between two TC offers isn't going to make you feel any better. People won't post that they've been rejected by 10 other firms in the same application cycle.

Gwinner

May 2, 2019
    SXHS - Your post made me want to cry. As someone who has similar academic performance to you and who is seriously ambitious, you have shown me that anything is possible. I was close to giving up when I had to postpone applying because I had surgery. I would love to speak to you personally. Is there anyway I could contact you? I would love to hear more on your journey.

Hi all!

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I thought I’d share my own success story cause I found the stories of others very motivating and inspiring.

I am in my final year of my law degree at a top 10 RG uni. I made 6 VS apps last year and secured one VS at a SC firm. (I completed two video interviews for 2 other firms but was subsequently rejected from both. Note that I had my heart set out on one of the firms, I met them from my first year, went to their on-campus events, Law fairs and even applied for their brand ambassador program). I was so so sad about the outcome of that application cycle but I was glad and happy to have secured one VS, especially as I applied a day before the deadline for that particular firm. So I thought to myself, this has to be the firm for me, it’s a sign. One day before the deadline and I got in! Anyways, I soon got over the rejections and started to look forward to the vac scheme in the summer.

Come summer time, I started the vac scheme. As an international student, I really wanted to convert this VS as I did not have many options. I wanted to enjoy this vac scheme but I just felt strange. Part of this was due to low self esteem and comparing myself to others, and the other half was just cultural fit. I really liked the people but I messed up so bad, I made many mistakes and at a point, I just stopped trying. As you can imagine, I wasn’t offered a TC. This hurt me so so so much (words can’t explain). It was bad cause my friends and people on LinkedIn were getting TC offers and I was just moping around. I had initially planned to make direct TC apps after the vac scheme but I lost motivation and just cried till the point that I never made any apps before the July deadline. So, that was the first cycle gone.

In August, I started to recover and push myself. I decided to apply to most of the firms I applied to in the previous year because my choice of firms hadn’t really changed. I started prepping my answers to apps in August and also started reading and re-reading Stoakes’s books. I made 5 apps for spring VS and I secured a VS at one. The same firm I had my heart set out in first year, I couldn’t believe it! I knew I loved this firm because I had met them before and the firm suited me in every way possible. Global presence, US heritage, cultural fit, quality of work, diverse etc.

I did the spring VS at this firm and I’m so glad to announce that I was offered a TC! I enjoyed the scheme so much, it was phenomenal. During the TC call, grad rec told me that my feedback was very positive for both weeks. Everyone said I was very confident - can you believe that?

After the vac scheme, I asked myself is there anything you wish you hadn’t done? Or is there something you wish you did? My answer was no! That’s when I knew I made the right choice.

So what changed? Confidence! I used to listen to motivational videos every single time and they made a huge difference. We are all capable, success starts with a mindset. I chose to believe in myself and others at the firm did too. I also refused to give up, I chose to believe that things will happen at the right time. When you secure that TC you will see that everything will fall in place, you will be grateful for the failures because they helped you to create your own success story. I don’t regret anything now, I sometimes wonder what my life would be like if I had stayed at the SC firm but I know that it would not have been the best for me.

Keep going, have faith in yourself, your time will surely come. No one tells you about their failures, I cried so many times, it was actually insane. Don’t compare yourself to anyone!!

Finally, feel free to send me a message if you need any help/advice. I hope my story helps.

AMAZINGGGG NEWS!!! SO happy for you, I know how hard you've worked for this, massive congrats :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Lawgirlxo

Ally26

Feb 23, 2019
    I’ve also just been offered my dream TC after years and years of rejection and over 40 applications . I’m over the moon and still can’t believe it’s real!!

One question I had, and assuming you guys on this thread may know, but what does the academic and professional reference request consist of? Presumably just confirming your uni grades and that you’re a normal person?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I’ve also just been offered my dream TC after years and years of rejection and over 40 applications . I’m over the moon and still can’t believe it’s real!!

One question I had, and assuming you guys on this thread may know, but what does the academic and professional reference request consist of? Presumably just confirming your uni grades and that you’re a normal person?

Well done!

I've been contacted before to give a professional reference for a candidate in a paralegal role. In addition to confirming dates, the form had a series of questions asking whether I'd recommend a candidate in particular areas + any additional comments. I don't know whether it's the same procedure for future trainees. I think the main purpose is to confirm you actually worked where you say you did.

I know some people worry about older references, so it's worth noting that it's pretty common for firms to have some trouble confirming old and/or international references (e.g., if the referee has left the workplace), at least it was for our intake.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    @Ally26 Just to note on the older references, if your firm can not locate your old referee due to them leaving the workplace, you may be asked to give proof (either in the form of an email or letter acceptance) which confirms the dates you worked there and who you worked for.

D.Cole

Future Trainee
    Apr 12, 2019
    The other day I spoke to someone who went through three recruitment rounds before finally being offered a training contract with a great firm. I’m on my second (likely unsuccessful) round and I’m trying not to give up hope, so I find stories like this really inspiring and would love to hear them.

Current and future trainees, did anyone have to go through more than one recruitment round to get a training contract? What happened? Why do you think you were ultimately successful?

Looking forward to hearing some inspiring stories!

OK, so a couple of months ago I posted this thread because things weren't looking good with regards to getting a training contract and I really needed a glimmer of hope.

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I now myself have been offered a training contract with a top global law firm!

I'd like to say a quick thank you to everyone who shared their success stories - when you've had so many rejections, it's really hard not to take it to heart. So many times I worried I wasn't cut out for law and wondered whether to cut my losses and go down a different career path. Two years and 20+ rejections later, I've come out the other end with a training contract! Remember, you only need one. Thanks, too, to the Corporate Law Academy for the incredibly helpful resources (especially the page on M&A and the weekly commercial updates) and to Bing in particular who gave me a mock interview in preparation for my assessment centre.

To answer the question I originally posted, here are the three key reasons I thought I was successful:

1. Commercial Awareness

I can't stress how much of a difference it makes if you are confident in discussing business. First, pick up Christopher Stoke's 'All You Need to Know About the City'. It discusses all these mysterious concepts that are important to law firms and sound impressive if you understand them, like IPOs, shares vs. equity and private equity. Then, read this page on the Corporate Law Academy to see what lawyers actually do: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/mergers-and-acquisitions-case-study/. I've been asked about what lawyers do in an interview before, so this page is essential! Finally, buy a subscription to The Times app (only £2 a month if you're a student) and read the business section every single day. Weekly updates on commercial awareness are helpful in highlighting the 'key' issues in my mind, but really you need to be following the business press daily to get an idea of current themes. You don't need to read every single story - just read their three-minute digest of the key business stories, then read any stories which will be particularly interesting to law firms (e.g. stories about big FTSE 100 companies, stories about the economy) or stories which keep cropping up (e.g. Neil Woodford's investment fund).

2. Confidence

I think the key thing that 'changed the game' for me was my confidence with interviews. Sit back in your chair, speak calmly, smile and crack a few small jokes if you can (for instance, I mentioned that I'd met one particular firm about three or four times before - I added 'you can't seem to get rid of me!' which got a laugh from the partner). Most importantly, ask questions about the interviewer throughout the interview if you can - not just at the end. If they ask you why law or why their firm, don't be afraid to say, 'Just out of interest, how did you decide on law?' This makes the interview feel more like a conversation than a Q&A session. I found the best way to become confident was (a) do lots of mock interviews - the Corporate Law Academy provide these at very reasonable prices! and (b) if you can, try and meet lawyers one-to-one. Use your university's alumni service and see if there's anyone who would be around for a coffee. Towards the end of the process, I was so used to meeting unfamiliar lawyers and so used to how they speak that interviews didn't phase me so much.

3. Luck

This is simultaneously the most comforting and least comforting thing about the process! Sometimes you get an absolute beast who gets 4 or 5 vacation schemes in one cycle but in my experience, a lot of it comes down to luck. I've written applications that I spent hours on and thought were brilliant, and then got rejected. I've had interviews that have gone terribly and interviews that have gone brilliantly, and it wasn't necessarily because of me - what it actually came down to was who was interviewing me, and whether I had a rapport with them (I felt it was a bit like dating - sometimes you have chemistry and sometimes you don't, and you can't really control that). I found written exercises and case studies extremely difficult to prepare for - whether I did well depended on that particular case study. If you get a rejection, try to establish why (ask for feedback if you've been on an AC) and try to fix that for next time. But if you get a rejection and you think you gave it your best, or maybe something went wrong but it wasn't anything you could've foreseen or prepared for, don't take it to heart. Sometimes that firm just isn't right for you. I personally am *so* glad I got so many rejections before now, because otherwise I wouldn't have accepted a TC with the firm who offered it to me. And the firm who offered it to me just seem like a perfect fit culturally.

Anyway, I hope this helps for those who are still on the hunt for a TC. Even when it seems like it's not going to happen, have faith that you can do it. Don't give up!

• 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Ooshmate, T.W, cmaj and 22 others

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    OK, so a couple of months ago I posted this thread because things weren't looking good with regards to getting a training contract and I really needed a glimmer of hope.

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I now myself have been offered a training contract with a top global law firm!

I'd like to say a quick thank you to everyone who shared their success stories - when you've had so many rejections, it's really hard not to take it to heart. So many times I worried I wasn't cut out for law and wondered whether to cut my losses and go down a different career path. Two years and 20+ rejections later, I've come out the other end with a training contract! Remember, you only need one. Thanks, too, to the Corporate Law Academy for the incredibly helpful resources (especially the page on M&A and the weekly commercial updates) and to Bing in particular who gave me a mock interview in preparation for my assessment centre.

To answer the question I originally posted, here are the three key reasons I thought I was successful:

1. Commercial Awareness

I can't stress how much of a difference it makes if you are confident in discussing business. First, pick up Christopher Stoke's 'All You Need to Know About the City'. It discusses all these mysterious concepts that are important to law firms and sound impressive if you understand them, like IPOs, shares vs. equity and private equity. Then, read this page on the Corporate Law Academy to see what lawyers actually do: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/mergers-and-acquisitions-case-study/. I've been asked about what lawyers do in an interview before, so this page is essential! Finally, buy a subscription to The Times app (only £2 a month if you're a student) and read the business section every single day. Weekly updates on commercial awareness are helpful in highlighting the 'key' issues in my mind, but really you need to be following the business press daily to get an idea of current themes. You don't need to read every single story - just read their three-minute digest of the key business stories, then read any stories which will be particularly interesting to law firms (e.g. stories about big FTSE 100 companies, stories about the economy) or stories which keep cropping up (e.g. Neil Woodford's investment fund).

2. Confidence

I think the key thing that 'changed the game' for me was my confidence with interviews. Sit back in your chair, speak calmly, smile and crack a few small jokes if you can (for instance, I mentioned that I'd met one particular firm about three or four times before - I added 'you can't seem to get rid of me!' which got a laugh from the partner). Most importantly, ask questions about the interviewer throughout the interview if you can - not just at the end. If they ask you why law or why their firm, don't be afraid to say, 'Just out of interest, how did you decide on law?' This makes the interview feel more like a conversation than a Q&A session. I found the best way to become confident was (a) do lots of mock interviews - the Corporate Law Academy provide these at very reasonable prices! and (b) if you can, try and meet lawyers one-to-one. Use your university's alumni service and see if there's anyone who would be around for a coffee. Towards the end of the process, I was so used to meeting unfamiliar lawyers and so used to how they speak that interviews didn't phase me so much.

3. Luck

This is simultaneously the most comforting and least comforting thing about the process! Sometimes you get an absolute beast who gets 4 or 5 vacation schemes in one cycle but in my experience, a lot of it comes down to luck. I've written applications that I spent hours on and thought were brilliant, and then got rejected. I've had interviews that have gone terribly and interviews that have gone brilliantly, and it wasn't necessarily because of me - what it actually came down to was who was interviewing me, and whether I had a rapport with them (I felt it was a bit like dating - sometimes you have chemistry and sometimes you don't, and you can't really control that). I found written exercises and case studies extremely difficult to prepare for - whether I did well depended on that particular case study. If you get a rejection, try to establish why (ask for feedback if you've been on an AC) and try to fix that for next time. But if you get a rejection and you think you gave it your best, or maybe something went wrong but it wasn't anything you could've foreseen or prepared for, don't take it to heart. Sometimes that firm just isn't right for you. I personally am *so* glad I got so many rejections before now, because otherwise I wouldn't have accepted a TC with the firm who offered it to me. And the firm who offered it to me just seem like a perfect fit culturally.

Anyway, I hope this helps for those who are still on the hunt for a TC. Even when it seems like it's not going to happen, have faith that you can do it. Don't give up!
    I'm so happy to hear that and thank you so much for taking the time to give this fantastic advice!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.