Open Day Application

• Thread starter Deleted member 2707
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2707

Hi, I am currently in the midst of completing my Clifford Chance Open Day application and had a few questions regarding how I should go about it.

1. One of the questions asked why I wanted to attend an Open Day at CC and one of my reasons for applying was to find out more about their practices as I understand they are a huge corporate and finance firm- two areas I am very interested in. I've read up on some of the projects they've been involved in in these two areas but am a bit stuck on how to incorporate them into my answer. Would I need to or is this irrelevant? I was told this would show interest in the firm (seeing as you have done your research on them) but it seems a bit forced for me to add them in.

2. The second question asked me about my extra curricular activities. Most of my activities are uni-based with some work experience such as internships etc. Do these consider as extra curricular activities since they are associated with law and university? I'm so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I am currently in the midst of completing my Clifford Chance Open Day application and had a few questions regarding how I should go about it.

1. One of the questions asked why I wanted to attend an Open Day at CC and one of my reasons for applying was to find out more about their practices as I understand they are a huge corporate and finance firm- two areas I am very interested in. I've read up on some of the projects they've been involved in in these two areas but am a bit stuck on how to incorporate them into my answer. Would I need to or is this irrelevant? I was told this would show interest in the firm (seeing as you have done your research on them) but it seems a bit forced for me to add them in.

2. The second question asked me about my extra curricular activities. Most of my activities are uni-based with some work experience such as internships etc. Do these consider as extra curricular activities since they are associated with law and university? I'm so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thank you so much for all your help.

You don’t have to incorporate them into your answer as such. If you did, something as simple as “Having an interest in the Y industry and the X practice area, Z deal sparked my interest”. But you are right, it is a bit forced. My question when reading something like this is “did you read it for the purpose of your application or did you actually read it out of interest. If you are going to state any deals/cases, make sure you tied it back to your interests beyond the practice area, otherwise there are 100s of deal you could have mentioned.

Internships are not extra curriculars. They are work experience. Extra curriculars are your activities outside of study and work (even if you do them within term time).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2707

You don’t have to incorporate them into your answer as such. If you did, something as simple as “Having an interest in the Y industry and the X practice area, Z deal sparked my interest”. But you are right, it is a bit forced. My question when reading something like this is “did you read it for the purpose of your application or did you actually read it out of interest. If you are going to state any deals/cases, make sure you tied it back to your interests beyond the practice area, otherwise there are 100s of deal you could have mentioned.

Internships are not extra curriculars. They are work experience. Extra curriculars are your activities outside of study and work (even if you do them within term time).

Thank you for your informative reply. For what I should include in my answer for why I want to attend an open day, I am planning to focus on my desire to understand more about the firm's culture as I am intrigued and interested in what they stand for and their beliefs. I'm also planning to mention some of the partners from the firm and what they've said abut the firm as I've learnt from videos and articles published by CC. I'll sprinkle my interest in their practice areas as one of the initial reasons that I was attracted to the firm. There is also an interactive case study session included in the Open Day that I will use as part of 'understanding more about the firm and their culture' Is this a good way to approach the question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your informative reply. For what I should include in my answer for why I want to attend an open day, I am planning to focus on my desire to understand more about the firm's culture as I am intrigued and interested in what they stand for and their beliefs. I'm also planning to mention some of the partners from the firm and what they've said abut the firm as I've learnt from videos and articles published by CC. I'll sprinkle my interest in their practice areas as one of the initial reasons that I was attracted to the firm. There is also an interactive case study session included in the Open Day that I will use as part of 'understanding more about the firm and their culture' Is this a good way to approach the question?

You’ll need to tone down the “what they stand for/beliefs” but wanting to get a grasp of the culture is a very legitimate reason to attend.

Honestly would avoid mentioning partners - don’t think that brings value to an application. However what they say and why it’s relevant or important to you is fine. Just name checking them is worse than name dropping deals into an application.

The case study won’t really get you to understand the firm or their culture. It may get you to understand the practicalities of the work you may do as a trainee/junior NQ though

D

Deleted member 2707

You’ll need to tone down the “what they stand for/beliefs” but wanting to get a grasp of the culture is a very legitimate reason to attend.

Honestly would avoid mentioning partners - don’t think that brings value to an application. However what they say and why it’s relevant or important to you is fine. Just name checking them is worse than name dropping deals into an application.

The case study won’t really get you to understand the firm or their culture. It may get you to understand the practicalities of the work you may do as a trainee/junior NQ though

Once again thank you for your replies. I will definitely calm down for the 'what they stand for' part but incorporating aspects of what they pride themselves in should be fine right? Eg: they brand themselves as 'a team' who really believes in working together. The togetherness is something I like about the firm and something I would like to know more about/if it is implemented in reality hence my application for an Open Day. Is something like this too much?

Yes definitely. I remember a partner mentioning looking for ambitious trainees who are willing to learn and that strikes a cord with me as I am always looking for big challenges which provides me with an opportunity to learn and grow.

Once again thank you so much for your help, I will definitely apply them to my application!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Once again thank you for your replies. I will definitely calm down for the 'what they stand for' part but incorporating aspects of what they pride themselves in should be fine right? Eg: they brand themselves as 'a team' who really believes in working together. The togetherness is something I like about the firm and something I would like to know more about/if it is implemented in reality hence my application for an Open Day. Is something like this too much?

Yes definitely. I remember a partner mentioning looking for ambitious trainees who are willing to learn and that strikes a cord with me as I am always looking for big challenges which provides me with an opportunity to learn and grow.

Once again thank you so much for your help, I will definitely apply them to my application!

No - not too much, just focus on the “togetherness” and why that is of interest to you and you’d like to see how that works day to day.

If that’s the case with the partner video, you don’t need to make drop them. Just referencing the video and that they mentioned the need for ambitious grads is enough and comes across a lot more genuine

D

Deleted member 2707

No - not too much, just focus on the “togetherness” and why that is of interest to you and you’d like to see how that works day to day.

If that’s the case with the partner video, you don’t need to make drop them. Just referencing the video and that they mentioned the need for ambitious grads is enough and comes across a lot more genuine

Thank you so much!

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi Jessica, I have a question regarding my approach for CC's second application question. For extra-curricular activities, I am going to focus on my interest in sports- however, my most active peak days in sports were during when I was 15/16. Is this much too far back to mention? I am also going to talk about activities I am going to engage in in 2nd year, is this wrong?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I have a question regarding my approach for CC's second application question. For extra-curricular activities, I am going to focus on my interest in sports- however, my most active peak days in sports were during when I was 15/16. Is this much too far back to mention? I am also going to talk about activities I am going to engage in in 2nd year, is this wrong?

You can only really talk about the second year activities if they are certain (eg you have already been elected on to a student exec). Saying you are going to do something isn’t really valuable unless it’s an absolutely certainty that you will.

With the sport focus on the commitment to it over the long period of time (positive thing) rather than what you achieved when you were 15/16. It’s not an issue mentioning what you achieved back then, but I wouldn’t really labour the point when it is likely to be something that happened 4+ years ago when your circumstances were very different

Zoë Stainton

Future Trainee
May 31, 2019
Hi Jessica, just wondering about the second question for the CC Open Day application. When it asks to hear about extra-circular activities does this also mean law related things such as campus ambassador role and work experience?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, just wondering about the second question for the CC Open Day application. When it asks to hear about extra-circular activities does this also mean law related things such as campus ambassador role and work experience?

It doesn’t mean work experience.

The campus ambassador role is a bit of a grey area - could be work experience or extra curricular, purely where it is happening on campus and hours tend to be super flexible.

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2019
Hi I was wondering whether you applied and if you completed the Watson Glaser? I completed it a while ago and they said I should hear back in 3 days but haven't heard anything yet. Have you?

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi I was wondering whether you applied and if you completed the Watson Glaser? I completed it a while ago and they said I should hear back in 3 days but haven't heard anything yet. Have you?

Hi! No I haven't applied yet but am planning to this weekend :) I'll update you after I have done the test! Also, which Open Day have you applied for?

Last edited by a moderator:

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2018
I'm planning to apply for one of the early ones but as it is quite late and it is rolling applications I was wondering if I should apply to a later one? Maybe 1st November? @Jessica Booker do you have any opinion on this?

Hi wildprincessx

From experience, CC doesn't review open day apps (or any other apps) on a rolling basis. They will tell successful applicants about one week prior to the open day.

Best wishes,
Syafiq.

PS: I'm applying for the 26th btw. I think it's better to go to the earlier one because they tend to get fewer applications for the earlier opportunity.

Reactions: Daniel Boden
D

Deleted member 2707

Hi wildprincessx

From experience, CC doesn't review open day apps (or any other apps) on a rolling basis. They will tell successful applicants about one week prior to the open day.

Best wishes,
Syafiq.

PS: I'm applying for the 26th btw. I think it's better to go to the earlier one because they tend to get fewer applications for the earlier opportunity.

Hi Syafid,

I read on the CC website that they do review open day apps on a rolling basis. Here is the full text: Applications open on 1st August 2019, and are on a rolling basis for each Open Day. The deadline to apply to this Open Day is midnight on the 12th September. We recommend applying to one of our earlier Open Days as by the end of the autumn they become heavily oversubscribed.

Good luck to you too!

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2018
Hi Syafid,

I read on the CC website that they do review open day apps on a rolling basis. Here is the full text: Applications open on 1st August 2019, and are on a rolling basis for each Open Day. The deadline to apply to this Open Day is midnight on the 12th September. We recommend applying to one of our earlier Open Days as by the end of the autumn they become heavily oversubscribed.

Good luck to you too!

I see. Well, it's still quite early. If you're keen on CC, you should attend Legal Cheek workshop at CC next week and ask grad rec directly.

Good luck with your application!

Best wishes,
Syafiq.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm planning to apply for one of the early ones but as it is quite late and it is rolling applications I was wondering if I should apply to a later one? Maybe 1st November? @Jessica Booker do you have any opinion on this?

No opinion as such from a recruiters’ perspective - I don’t think it will really matter which one you choose.

Only thought I had was a lot of people might not attend the 26/27th one though given its freshers’ week for many. It might be less popular than the November dates, where people are not having to think about travelling back to uni and then having to travel back down to London.

The November date might be more popular given it will be reading week for many universities.

D

Deleted member 2707

No opinion as such from a recruiters’ perspective - I don’t think it will really matter which one you choose.

Only thought I had was a lot of people might not attend the 26/27th one though given its freshers’ week for many. It might be less popular than the November dates, where people are not having to think about travelling back to uni and then having to travel back down to London.

The November date might be more popular given it will be reading week for many universities.
Thank you! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.