Open Day Application

Discussion in 'Applications Discussion' started by wildprincessx, Aug 20, 2019.

1. wildprincessx

wildprincessx Star Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Does anyone have an idea on how much I am supposed to score on my Watson Glaser test ??

2. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    It will be a percentile rather than a score.

Unless the firm in question tells you what their percentile benchmark is and what your score is, you won’t find out, and if they did that you’d know whether you had passed or not.

3. Omar

Omar New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hey, did the test on Sunday and got an email from them today morning. Hope this helps.

4. wildprincessx

Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi! I submitted my application and did the WG Test on Sunday. Just got an email today confirming that I have passed. Best of luck to you :)

5. EyoN

EyoN New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica,

I have a question re the extra-curricular activities question. I began a charity initiative a few years ago in my home country which has grown quite significantly. Is this a good example or is this more of a work experience? Also, how many examples do you think is ideal for a 300 word count?

Many thanks.

6. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    But if a grey area - could be either WE or EC.

There isn’t an ideal number. You include whatever is relevant to you in that 300 words. That could be 1 example, it could be 10.

7. EyoN

EyoN New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Got it. Thanks a lot for your response.

8. wildprincessx

Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Has anyone gotten a response from Clifford Chance regarding their Open Day?

9. Sairah

Sairah Legendary Member

TCLA Credits:
    Yeah, I’ll be attending their open day on the 26th! :)

10. PSM_18

PSM_18 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Just got a response, I will be attending on the 27th September!

11. JamR

JamR Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Same here :D

12. AaronSL

AaronSL Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    I’ve also been accepted on to their open day. I would like to ask it says in the CC email the open day is ‘casual’ wear and there is no need to wear smart clothes i.e. suit.

I don’t want to be the only person wearing casual so is it best to look both casual and smart at the same time, if that makes sense.

13. JamR

JamR Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    I think most people just tend to wear business attire anyway. Usually I wear a suit with no tie but wear whatever you're most comfortable in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Syafiqkay92

Syafiqkay92 Star Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Always wear business suits if the dress code is not explicitly mentioned. When in doubt, wear a suit.

I know some people disagree with this and I think once you get the job, you can do whatever you want. But for now, law is pretty much a profession that is full of tradition and etiquettes. Why risk it if all it takes is to just wear a suit. You'll feel like a corporate lawyer and it'll boost your confidence.

I've spoken to one partner who emphasises on the importance of dress code. If you're trying to impress partners, anything other than business suits wouldn't do it. It's not going to make a lot of difference but if you don't, the partners will notice and that's not in a good kind of way. Just look the part while you're applying and be sensible about it.

If you want to be comfortable, you can get a suit that fits you comfortably and doesn't cost you a fortune. It's doable.

15. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    See I disagree with the above. The dress code clearly states casual - this means business attire is not expected.

Now I wouldn’t go full t-shirt, trainers and jeans casual, but if I was a guy slacks and a collared shirt will be sufficient - no tie/suit jacket required.

If I was a girl, I’d go with a smart pair of trousers or skirt, with a top/blouse - again no full suit required.

If the invite hadn’t explicitly stated casual dress then go the whole hog with a suit. But depending what day of the week it is (I’ll make a guess it’s a Friday) it’s probably dress down in the office anyway and being all suited and booted could look out of place.

Just make sure whatever you wear is clean, pressed and tidy. Take the approach of what you might wear if you were meeting your girlfriends/boyfriends slightly traditional parents the first time - you’ll probably get it right.

• Like Like x 3
  16. PSM_18

PSM_18 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    For clarification the wording in the acceptance email was "The dress code for this Open Day is casual. There is no need to wear business attire such as suits and/or shirts."

• Like Like x 4
  17. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Pretty sure it’s because it will be something like dress down Friday or a charity day where people are dressed down.