Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have an idea on how much I am supposed to score on my Watson Glaser test ??

It will be a percentile rather than a score.

Unless the firm in question tells you what their percentile benchmark is and what your score is, you won’t find out, and if they did that you’d know whether you had passed or not.

O

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 27, 2019
Hey, did the test on Sunday and got an email from them today morning. Hope this helps.

Hi I was wondering whether you applied and if you completed the Watson Glaser? I completed it a while ago and they said I should hear back in 3 days but haven't heard anything yet. Have you?

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2019
It doesn’t mean work experience.

The campus ambassador role is a bit of a grey area - could be work experience or extra curricular, purely where it is happening on campus and hours tend to be super flexible.
Hi Jessica,

I have a question re the extra-curricular activities question. I began a charity initiative a few years ago in my home country which has grown quite significantly. Is this a good example or is this more of a work experience? Also, how many examples do you think is ideal for a 300 word count?

Many thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I have a question re the extra-curricular activities question. I began a charity initiative a few years ago in my home country which has grown quite significantly. Is this a good example or is this more of a work experience? Also, how many examples do you think is ideal for a 300 word count?

Many thanks.

But if a grey area - could be either WE or EC.

There isn’t an ideal number. You include whatever is relevant to you in that 300 words. That could be 1 example, it could be 10.

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019
I’ve also been accepted on to their open day. I would like to ask it says in the CC email the open day is ‘casual’ wear and there is no need to wear smart clothes i.e. suit.

I don’t want to be the only person wearing casual so is it best to look both casual and smart at the same time, if that makes sense.

PHT

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
I’ve also been accepted on to their open day. I would like to ask it says in the CC email the open day is ‘casual’ wear and there is no need to wear smart clothes i.e. suit.

I don’t want to be the only person wearing casual so is it best to look both casual and smart at the same time, if that makes sense.

I think most people just tend to wear business attire anyway. Usually I wear a suit with no tie but wear whatever you're most comfortable in.

Reactions: JoNo

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2018

I think most people just tend to wear business attire anyway. Usually, I wear a suit with no tie but wear whatever you're most comfortable in.

Always wear business suits if the dress code is not explicitly mentioned. When in doubt, wear a suit.

I know some people disagree with this and I think once you get the job, you can do whatever you want. But for now, law is pretty much a profession that is full of tradition and etiquettes. Why risk it if all it takes is to just wear a suit. You'll feel like a corporate lawyer and it'll boost your confidence.

I've spoken to one partner who emphasises on the importance of dress code. If you're trying to impress partners, anything other than business suits wouldn't do it. It's not going to make a lot of difference but if you don't, the partners will notice and that's not in a good kind of way. Just look the part while you're applying and be sensible about it.

If you want to be comfortable, you can get a suit that fits you comfortably and doesn't cost you a fortune. It's doable.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
See I disagree with the above. The dress code clearly states casual - this means business attire is not expected.

Now I wouldn’t go full t-shirt, trainers and jeans casual, but if I was a guy slacks and a collared shirt will be sufficient - no tie/suit jacket required.

If I was a girl, I’d go with a smart pair of trousers or skirt, with a top/blouse - again no full suit required.

If the invite hadn’t explicitly stated casual dress then go the whole hog with a suit. But depending what day of the week it is (I’ll make a guess it’s a Friday) it’s probably dress down in the office anyway and being all suited and booted could look out of place.

Just make sure whatever you wear is clean, pressed and tidy. Take the approach of what you might wear if you were meeting your girlfriends/boyfriends slightly traditional parents the first time - you’ll probably get it right.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For clarification the wording in the acceptance email was "The dress code for this Open Day is casual. There is no need to wear business attire such as suits and/or shirts."

Pretty sure it’s because it will be something like dress down Friday or a charity day where people are dressed down.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Reactions: PSM

PHT

Star Member
    Jun 30, 2018
    Those of you who attended the CC open day last Thursday/Friday, can I ask how you found the sessions on the day? Feel free to PM me if preferable!

Sorry I'm late responding to this! I'd definitely recommend it to everyone, even if you're a bit unsure about applying to MC firms (I never thought I would a couple of months ago). The day is packed with a lot of sessions. Highlight was the 2 hour session on finance and capital markets by David Adams. He explained things like bonds, derivatives, acquisition and asset finance and how they all work so clearly, definitely learnt a lot in that session. There were also talks on commercial awareness, pro bono, how to make an impact as a trainee and panel discussions. Only downside was there wasn't really an opportunity to network with trainees apart from the case study session. And in this session they used last years AC case study, so was a really good insight into what an AC at CC is like, what they are looking for and how to go above and beyond. Interestingly they also said they treat an open day with the same weight as a vac scheme at the firm, and really stressed you don't need to have done a VS to apply for a TC!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Sorry I'm late responding to this! I'd definitely recommend it to everyone, even if you're a bit unsure about applying to MC firms (I never thought I would a couple of months ago). The day is packed with a lot of sessions. Highlight was the 2 hour session on finance and capital markets by David Adams. He explained things like bonds, derivatives, acquisition and asset finance and how they all work so clearly, definitely learnt a lot in that session. There were also talks on commercial awareness, pro bono, how to make an impact as a trainee and panel discussions. Only downside was there wasn't really an opportunity to network with trainees apart from the case study session. And in this session they used last years AC case study, so was a really good insight into what an AC at CC is like, what they are looking for and how to go above and beyond. Interestingly they also said they treat an open day with the same weight as a vac scheme at the firm, and really stressed you don't need to have done a VS to apply for a TC!

Much appreciated!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.