TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
No - they will be "graded" in the same way, but a non-law undergraduate who has never worked in law or studied it will not be expected to have the same level of knowledge as a LLM graduate who has worked in a law firm for several years. The questions you will be asked and how you will be asked it will be adapted, and it is likely that the non-law undergraduate will be asked questions in a way that assesses more of the commercial knowledge rather than the technicalities of the law (very few case studies fixate on the technicalities of the law so wouldn't require you to have worked or studied in the subject/sector though).
That makes sense - thank you. Maybe a stupid question, but are potential clauses in contracts legal or commercial knowledge? If I were able to come up with the right ideas but didn’t know the names of specific clauses, would this be acceptable for non-law? I want to use my time left to the best of my ability, and I think I can come up with good ideas on the spot but I currently don’t know very much! Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That makes sense - thank you. Maybe a stupid question, but are potential clauses in contracts legal or commercial knowledge? If I were able to come up with the right ideas but didn’t know the names of specific clauses, would this be acceptable for non-law? I want to use my time left to the best of my ability, and I think I can come up with good ideas on the spot but I currently don’t know very much! Thank you
That would really be legal unless they are very basic common sense issues that anyone could pick up (eg queries in a basic contract like a mobile phone contract that you as a consumer should be able to identify as being important/an issue etc).

You definitely won’t need to know specific names of clauses. It is more about understanding why they are important/what they do.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
That would really be legal unless they are very basic common sense issues that anyone could pick up (eg queries in a basic contract like a mobile phone contract that you as a consumer should be able to identify as being important/an issue etc).

You definitely won’t need to know specific names of clauses. It is more about understanding why they are important/what they do.
Phew! Thank you so much!! Starting to feel like I’m not about to fail my ACs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.