TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobbb

Sep 14, 2020
Hi everyone,
My friend has been waiting for their offer letter for about 6 weeks now since getting the phone call with the offer for the vacation scheme. Is it normal to wait so long? He is anxious to know if its still happening. He has some difficulties confirming with HR as they seem to be not responding but he also doesn't want to upset them by bothering them too much. Has anyone experienced or @Jessica Booker something like this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,
My friend has been waiting for their offer letter for about 6 weeks now since getting the phone call with the offer for the vacation scheme. Is it normal to wait so long? He is anxious to know if its still happening. He has some difficulties confirming with HR as they seem to be not responding but he also doesn't want to upset them by bothering them too much. Has anyone experienced or @Jessica Booker something like this?
I would expect you will hear from them. Sometimes things get busy - but email your point of contact again, I am sure they will come back to you very soon.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How long should a "why the firm" answer be? Is 3 and a half minutes/four minutes too long?
Possibly, if it is edging towards four minutes anyway.

I would focus on fewer points. Also a lot of people edge into "why me" aspects, trying to show your abilities rather than your motivations, and so avoiding this can often make your answers more concise/focused.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Hey everyone - I'm pretty sure the TCLA crew will post about this shortly, but the team has partnered with American Express again to give people the opportunity to work in-house over the summer. Here's Jaysen's post about the opportunity on LinkedIn. Highly recommended :)

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone - I'm pretty sure the TCLA crew will post about this shortly, but the team has partnered with American Express again to give people the opportunity to work in-house over the summer. Here's Jaysen's post about the opportunity on LinkedIn. Highly recommended :)

Thank you for sharing!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad and Adrian_S

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Thank you for sharing!

😭😭❤️🔥🔥😩🥰🥰😭😭❤️🔥🔥😍😍😍😍😱😱😍♥️♥️♥️♥️😍😱🥵😳💕💕💕💕😳😳😩🥰😭😭❤️😱😱😱🥵😱😱❤️ THANK YOU FOR CREATING THIS OPPORTUNITY 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😳😳🥰🥰🥰💕😍😍❤️✝️🐿️🔥♥️♥️♥️♥️😳💕💕😍❤️😩🥵🥵😩😱😱🥰😭😭❤️🔥🔥😍😍😍

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    😭😭❤️🔥🔥😩🥰🥰😭😭❤️🔥🔥😍😍😍😍😱😱😍♥️♥️♥️♥️😍😱🥵😳💕💕💕💕😳😳😩🥰😭😭❤️😱😱😱🥵😱😱❤️ THANK YOU FOR CREATING THIS OPPORTUNITY 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😳😳🥰🥰🥰💕😍😍❤️✝️🐿️🔥♥️♥️♥️♥️😳💕💕😍❤️😩🥵🥵😩😱😱🥰😭😭❤️🔥🔥😍😍😍
    This is the response I didn't realise I needed today 😀

• Love
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Jessica Booker and Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Long post ahead, but I am begging for some help (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE 😢😢😢😢😢 ):

Hi all, long time lurker with a predicament here- would be grateful for any help! (@Jessica Booker would really love your input, along with anyone else with similar experiences).

I have 2 vacation schemes this year. One was supposed to be mid-end May (firm A), and the other mid-end June (firm B). The firm for my first vac, A, has had issues with arrangements, so has postponed my scheme to June, which overlaps with my second scheme (B). They know my availability is limited for June and have offered me a week-long scheme in July (as opposed to the standard two weeks), after both their vacs in June finish.

I will be having a call with firm A next week to get further detail, but would this arrangement lower my chances of securing a TC, given that all the other vac schemers will have completed their schemes and final interviews before me, and that my scheme will be a week shorter than everyone else's?

Also, firm B (one of my top choices, although I also love firm A) has alternative dates which I have availability for, but I feel that it is both unfair on them (as I have already confirmed my availability more than once) and will reflect badly on me if I ask them if there are still spaces for the other vacation scheme, given that I'd be trying to make time for another firm.

I also have 2 assessment centres upcoming for other firms, and if I am successful, those dates would overlap with firm B's alternative dates.

So, I would love any advice on:

1. Should I be worried about accepting the week-long alternative scheme from firm A? This will not clash with any other dates, but concern is purely for the chances of a TC.

2. What questions should I look to clarify with firm A? I already have some in mind, but perhaps anything that someone with hindsight/more experience can suggest?

3. Am I correct in thinking that asking firm B to shift my vac to accommodate for firm A would put me in an unfavourable position with firm B? Although I can ask if firm B have availability for the earlier vac without mentioning the reason, I am not sure whether this is wise, especially if grad rec at firm B finds this out and thinks I am withholding this information to accommodate firm A. I am also hesitant to take this risk given how much I like firm B.

4. Any other advice?

Will be eternally grateful to anyone who can offer any sort of insight & ease my worries!!
    1) no - they would t have offered it to you if that was the case

2) not sure what you mean by this, but I guess it’s just asking them what the differences in the opportunities are.

3) That isn’t correct. There is no harm in asking - worst thing they can do is say no, which is in no different a position than you are now.

Sounds like firm B are your preference and so doing the one week scheme with firm A just seems the logical approach, but you could ask B whether there is any chance to move to their later scheme and that could give you the benefit of securing longer schemes with both firms

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    Long post ahead, but I am begging for some help (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE 😢😢😢😢😢 ):

Hi all, long time lurker with a predicament here- would be grateful for any help! (@Jessica Booker would really love your input, along with anyone else with similar experiences).

I have 2 vacation schemes this year. One was supposed to be mid-end May (firm A), and the other mid-end June (firm B). The firm for my first vac, A, has had issues with arrangements, so has postponed my scheme to June, which overlaps with my second scheme (B). They know my availability is limited for June and have offered me a week-long scheme in July (as opposed to the standard two weeks), after both their vacs in June finish.

I will be having a call with firm A next week to get further detail, but would this arrangement lower my chances of securing a TC, given that all the other vac schemers will have completed their schemes and final interviews before me, and that my scheme will be a week shorter than everyone else's?

Also, firm B (one of my top choices, although I also love firm A) has alternative dates which I have availability for, but I feel that it is both unfair on them (as I have already confirmed my availability more than once) and will reflect badly on me if I ask them if there are still spaces for the other vacation scheme, given that I'd be trying to make time for another firm.

I also have 2 assessment centres upcoming for other firms, and if I am successful, those dates would overlap with firm B's alternative dates.

So, I would love any advice on:

1. Should I be worried about accepting the week-long alternative scheme from firm A? This will not clash with any other dates, but concern is purely for the chances of a TC.

2. What questions should I look to clarify with firm A? I already have some in mind, but perhaps anything that someone with hindsight/more experience can suggest?

3. Am I correct in thinking that asking firm B to shift my vac to accommodate for firm A would put me in an unfavourable position with firm B? Although I can ask if firm B have availability for the earlier vac without mentioning the reason, I am not sure whether this is wise, especially if grad rec at firm B finds this out and thinks I am withholding this information to accommodate firm A. I am also hesitant to take this risk given how much I like firm B.

4. Any other advice?

Will be eternally grateful to anyone who can offer any sort of insight & ease my worries!!
    Does firm A have any week long schemes aside from the summer? For example a lot of firms easter schemes are only one week. I was on a week long Easter scheme and most of the people who got the TC were from the week long scheme, so I don’t think in that case it was a loss.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.