TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
In an acquisition, what are some ways of getting around a shareholder who doesn't want to sell their share or who is asking for a premium?
Look at "Squeeze Out" in the EU/UK Takeover Directive.

Article here: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=420940

You should also look into the concept of "private benefits of control." It is largely an academic concept that argues a shareholder will not sell their block of shares because they not only control the company, but their controlling block affords them them private benefits (ie. concert access, private jet, Arsenal tickets) as a result of being in control of the company.

As such, their "private benefits" command a premium above and beyond the list price of the stock.

Good luck!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone know how you can get cheap accommodation for a vacation scheme in London over the summer?
I thought you could stay in Uni accommodation that isn't being used. How do you get that?
You can if it is outside of term time - some early vacation schemes can still run in term time and so availability might be difficult.

Try each university’s summer accommodation page (just search the uni name and summer accommodation on Google) or alternatively there are some private halls of residence that might have availability too (although is likely to be more expensive).

If you look outside of the city (Croydon, Stratford, West London) you may also find accommodation that is a lot cheaper and will only be a 20-30 minute commute to the office too. Some of the outside the centre unis (like Queen Mary, University of West London, Kingston, South Bank University) May have cheaper options than LSE/KCL/UCL too.

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Does anyone who’s done a VS before recall how far in advance they found out what department(s) they would be sitting in and/or their supervisor/trainee buddy? I’ve got a scheme in a few weeks and whilst I don’t need to know much before then it would be good to find out sooner rather than later!

Reactions: LS_1998

lawstudent1

Oct 19, 2022
Does anyone who’s done a VS before recall how far in advance they found out what department(s) they would be sitting in and/or their supervisor/trainee buddy? I’ve got a scheme in a few weeks and whilst I don’t need to know much before then it would be good to find out sooner rather than later!
It is firm specific. However, most people find out their practice area seats 1-2 weeks before. Some firms wont tell you your supervisor/buddy until the first day.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Some people don't find out until the first day of their vacation scheme.

deckoking123

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 27, 2019
    After quietly observing and learning from this community for a few years, I finally achieved my goal of landing a TC at my dream firm! I couldn't have done it without the endless support and encouragement from all of you. Seriously, you guys are awesome! If any of you need a helping hand or some guidance, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    After quietly observing and learning from this community for a few years, I finally achieved my goal of landing a TC at my dream firm! I couldn't have done it without the endless support and encouragement from all of you. Seriously, you guys are awesome! If any of you need a helping hand or some guidance, please don't hesitate to reach out.
    Amazing news - congratulations!

jimmy fallon lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reactions: deckoking123

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Really happy to read this. Well done :)

Reactions: deckoking123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.