TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
For anyone that is/was a paralegal or just worked whilst applying for TCs and had to use annual leave to attend ACs, did your employer question why you e.g. took only 1 day off? Basically I'm starting my first 'real' office job in my life post-uni, and I'm not really sure on what to say to them about booking one day off in a week to attend an interview.
If you were a paralegal then I would just say it’s an AC. Every role I’ve had they’ve wanted me to get a TC! If not then maybe don’t say why, just say it’s a doctors appointment if it’s an interview or just ask for AL if it’s an AC.

Reactions: NMA and sibs23

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
I haven’t heard from them since the VI last week. But I think they have ACs next week but I’m not sure if that’s for London. When did you do your VI?
I haven't even gotten a VI invite 😂 I applied on the deadline for the London office, so either they're working their way through the application forms still or its an impending PFO

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
I would say it is best if you don't tell them even if they ask as you have no obligation to let them know why you are taking annual leave. However, they have the right to reject your AL request. Just curious, did you receive an invite to an AC and, if so, at what firm?
No invite to an AC, just preparing myself if I do get an invite because it would've been extremely pointless me doing the application if I can't even attend the AC anyway

Reactions: Kevin1234

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
They don't usually ask. However, if someone is to ask an innocuous question like 'up to anything fun?', I usually reply with a fictitious hospital appointment.
And they're fine with you taking just one day off in the week? Sorry I'm not too sure how it works, I thought most people take weeks off at a time

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
If you were a paralegal then I would just say it’s an AC. Every role I’ve had they’ve wanted me to get a TC! If not then maybe don’t say why, just say it’s a doctors appointment if it’s an interview or just ask for AL if it’s an AC.
Not a paralegal so I guess I'll just say it's an appointment, when you've asked for AL were they okay with it being just one day off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.