Allen & Overy Winter Vacation Scheme 2024

emilyding

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 6, 2023
I emailed grad rec and they said "You have until the application deadline to complete your application and video questions, meaning you will be able to leave the page and prepare. For the video assessment, please note that while you have unlimited preparation time, your recorded response is limited to 2 minutes, and you will be automatically cut off."

So we can see the questions and prepare and it is a one-take policy, no pausing no retaking.

Hope that helps!
Thanks!

nma123

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2022
Hey I just completed it now and was EXACTLY the same! So got a lot of “you could improve on” and two “clear room to improve on” but excelled in verbal and numerical.

So I’m abit concerned - also my video froze up on question one :/
hey, same boat here, honestly I did the whole SJT with the assessment framework in front of me, picked all the most logical options aligned with the framework, and still got a feedback report saying I needed tons of improvement in every single area. Really don't know what more I could have done so I'm hoping it doesn't hold much weight :/

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Future_lawyer_somewhere

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 4, 2019
hey, same boat here, honestly I did the whole SJT with the assessment framework in front of me, picked all the most logical options aligned with the framework, and still got a feedback report saying I needed tons of improvement in every single area. Really don't know what more I could have done so I'm hoping it doesn't hold much weight :/
That’s what I did with the framework. So I think it could be generic. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

al97

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 30, 2023
Hi members, I have a question. This is my first time applying to AO so I have 2 questions:

1. I'm not seeing the regular app questions (e.g. why AO, why commercial law, news story). Am I missing it somewhere or did they remove such requirement?

2. SJT. I thought SJT is a series of question. They did not mention anything about a VI on the website. Does the SJT include a VI too? If so, how many questions did they ask?

Many thanks

justkeepswimming

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 26, 2022
    Hi members, I have a question. This is my first time applying to AO so I have 2 questions:

1. I'm not seeing the regular app questions (e.g. why AO, why commercial law, news story). Am I missing it somewhere or did they remove such requirement?

2. SJT. I thought SJT is a series of question. They did not mention anything about a VI on the website. Does the SJT include a VI too? If so, how many questions did they ask?

Many thanks

They've changed the process. It is now just an online application of your details and work experience etc. Then you are invited to take an SJT test. The video interview is included in the SJT but you have unlimited time to prepare. It is supposed to ask two video interview questions right at the end. You have until the deadline to complete it all.

Reactions: lawstudent1245

al97

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 30, 2023
    They've changed the process. It is now just an online application of your details and work experience etc. Then you are invited to take an SJT test. The video interview is included in the SJT but you have unlimited time to prepare. It is supposed to ask two video interview questions right at the end. You have until the deadline to complete it all.
    I see, thank you lots!

Aug 28, 2023
    I emailed grad rec and they said "You have until the application deadline to complete your application and video questions, meaning you will be able to leave the page and prepare. For the video assessment, please note that while you have unlimited preparation time, your recorded response is limited to 2 minutes, and you will be automatically cut off."

So we can see the questions and prepare and it is a one-take policy, no pausing no retaking.

Hope that helps!
    I still don't get it. Can you just say in a simple yes or no, can we leave the page and come back another day for the video interview?

• Dislike
    Reactions: I’m_Batman

nma123

Premium Member
    Nov 12, 2022
    what did it say?
    it's just the automated report produced after the assessment - I just happened to receive a blank document for some reason so I had to email so I could get my real one. It lists the key skills they look for and says how you did in relation to the skills. Then for numerical and verbal it puts you on a scale so you can see how well you did on that bit, but the report doesn't give any raw marks/percentages or any indication of whether you will be progressed to the next round

• ℹ️
    Reactions: I’m_Batman

vdktn

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 28, 2022
    Hey everyone:) For the written application, did you guys link your work experience to commercial law? For each position, I've written a bit on the role and responsibilities, and then a longer bit on the experiences and knowledge I gained. Should I link it to law?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone:) For the written application, did you guys link your work experience to commercial law? For each position, I've written a bit on the role and responsibilities, and then a longer bit on the experiences and knowledge I gained. Should I link it to law?
    I really don’t think you need to link it to law - it’s more than likely going to be obvious what the link is.

Aug 28, 2023
    Yeah i went to the legal cheek fair last week and the A&O lady said to do so cause they get hundreds of applications and the clearer and more succinct you can make your whilst still showing the link, the better

Reactions: lawstudent1245

FCL25

Jul 26, 2023
    Hi all,

Something strange happened with one of the SJT questions for me. I was watching the video and waiting for the text to pop up at the end, but instead a new email question came up unrelated to the video scenario. When I emailed HR, they said a question can’t be skipped until answered which is strange because I really think this happened.

Has this happened to anyone else?

kmo20

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2023
    Hi, does anyone know if we get told if we have passed the SJT like last year in a few days after completing the test or will this be after the deadline now they are non rolling?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.