TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

EM23

Esteemed Member
Dec 10, 2022
Hi there, doing White & Cases vac scheme application and the word count limit is 3000 for their cover letter. I thought a cover letter was one A4 page so around 400-500 words? Is this too short?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
for questions which ask 'Please give details of your extra-curricular activities, and any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility, or noteworthy achievements that will support your application'
Can I mention experiences which are already mentioned in my work experience section?

My issue is: I included volunteering experiences in the work experience section (got approval from the firm to include it there).
Now for the app question above - Can I talk about the volunteering experiences from a different angle than in my work experience section? For example for one of my experiences I mainly talk about what I did to change the structure and how I supported them and I would angle it differently to for example building rapport and forming lasting connections - ie angle the achievements in a different way.

Alternatively I could delete the volunteering from my work experience section and only include in the answer for the question above.

I am really struggling to find anything to talk about - all my prizes, positions of responsibilities and noteworthy achievements are already described in my work experience and I wasn't part of any sports team or anything like that. The only other thing I could talk about is how I do research and create mind-maps for commercial topics I am interested in but that's not really an achievement.

I hope I am making sense, feeling a bit frazzled today
I personally wouldn’t include anything that has been included elsewhere - repeating information in an application isn’t something to aim for as really it is a missed opportunity to show something extra or different about you. If the volunteering is out in your work experience, you are claiming it as such rather than extra curriculars and so I would keep it to one section only.

Reactions: Minitomatosalad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello I've seen conflicting answers to this q on TCLA so I thought I should ask again to make sure. This is what the A&O (summer VS) application portal says:

'* I acknowledge that I am only permitted to apply once in any 12 month period for either a Training Contract or a Vacation Scheme. Please note that you are eligible to apply to multiple regional offices in the same year, but must make the relevant recruitment teams aware. If it is discovered that you have applied for more than one opportunity at the London office in a recruitment cycle, your application will be withdrawn regardless of the stage you have reached.'

My last application was 11 December 2022 - does this mean I have to wait 12 months from this date (which is beyond the application window for this year)? Thx in advance :)
You should wait until 12 December 2023 until you apply.

The fact it explicitly states 12 month period makes this very clear to me.

• 🤝
Reactions: 5ktr

app03

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2022
    Hi, I have got a general question about structuring my CV for firms that ask for CV and CL as part of their recruitment process. For setting out grades, should I breakdown all the grades or just mention some of the notable ones, as I would be filling all the grades in education section on the online form?

SS21

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    One of two things - you have accidently submitted it or if not, this is just an automated email to advise you that you haven’t completed your application (which you know if true). I wouldn’t worry about it unless it has been submitted, and if it has it seems like there is still the ability to log back in and amend your application anyway.

Thanks Jessica.

Apparently other people got the same email. The wording of the email made me think I had accidentally submitted but it was still showing as draft which is what confused me.

They could really be clearer... reminding people to complete their app a few weeks before the deadline would make sense but a bit strange to do on day 1 of apps opening.

DKLaw

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Hi guys, I don’t have much work experience so I will be volunteering with Citizens Advice from next month, my q is, should I wait maybe a few weeks or a month (say end of Oct) before sending VS applications so that I can discuss my learnings from CA or would the training for advisers not really be of that much value?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, I don’t have much work experience so I will be volunteering with Citizens Advice from next month, my q is, should I wait maybe a few weeks or a month (say end of Oct) before sending VS applications so that I can discuss my learnings from CA or would the training for advisers not really be of that much value?
    If the deadline isn’t until late December or January, I would wait until late October and then apply

Reactions: DKLaw

Gennslaw74

Sep 17, 2023
    Hi i hope someone can help me on this as I am really confused- why exactly is DLA Piper’s training contract named as the “international training contract” is it because of the chance of secondment or are there other reasons?

Reactions: HH99

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker when asked 'why the firm' in an interview and you have provided an answer in the application - is it fine to use the same answer where interviewers can view the application and ask questions based on it?
    I would expect the answer the have the same themes but presented differently - how you write something Vs how you say something would be different, and rather than repeating the exact detail it’s a chance to say something from a different angle or with different evidence/meaning.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker when I used a deal in my application to demonstrate the firms global presence or ability to work on high-value deals by pointing these specific points out is it sufficient to know only that for the interview or will I need to read around the entire deal?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker when I used a deal in my application to demonstrate the firms global presence or ability to work on high-value deals by pointing these specific points out is it sufficient to know only that for the interview or will I need to read around the entire deal?
    Anything you include in your application you need to be confident about talking about more broadly than just what you have said in your application. The question could easily be “why did you highlight that specific deal out of the 100s / 1000s you could have picked for similar reasons” and “well you thought this was particularly important to mention it in your application, so let’s see what you know about it in more detail”. Same goes for if you reference particular types of practice areas/sectors, or anything else specific about the firm (eg CSR/Pro Bono).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.