Allen & Overy Winter Vacation Scheme 2024

FCL25

Jul 26, 2023
How did everyone feel about their SJT feedback report? Scored very highly on the verbal and numerical scales but for the listed skills of a lawyer, it seemed that every one needed much improvement. Is this just a generic response that everyone received?

Also, please can someone brief me on what the next stages are? Is it correct that there will be an interview before finding out or is submitting this SJT the final stage?

Reactions: RBUCL

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
It looks like I got a blank/faulty feedback report. It has the kind of letterheading / style but no content. I think someone else here said they had the same? Hopefully that doesn't mean an error.
Also - I took a long time to complete the test from start to finish (about 3 hours). A lot of this was as I had some work messages come in and I also took time to practice my recorded video response before submitting the actual one. Do you think they will care? I know the email said 'its not timed' but then I also noticed they record you for the whole session (to check you're not cheating I think? but then it also said you can take a break so I got up to get a drink or take a phone call at various points).
Sorry for the ramble but hopefully someone can weigh in!

Aug 28, 2023
It looks like I got a blank/faulty feedback report. It has the kind of letterheading / style but no content. I think someone else here said they had the same? Hopefully that doesn't mean an error.
Also - I took a long time to complete the test from start to finish (about 3 hours). A lot of this was as I had some work messages come in and I also took time to practice my recorded video response before submitting the actual one. Do you think they will care? I know the email said 'its not timed' but then I also noticed they record you for the whole session (to check you're not cheating I think? but then it also said you can take a break so I got up to get a drink or take a phone call at various points).
Sorry for the ramble but hopefully someone can weigh in!
Hopefully not cause I took a 2 hour break lmaoo

Meena

Jan 13, 2023
How did everyone feel about their SJT feedback report? Scored very highly on the verbal and numerical scales but for the listed skills of a lawyer, it seemed that every one needed much improvement. Is this just a generic response that everyone received?

Also, please can someone brief me on what the next stages are? Is it correct that there will be an interview before finding out or is submitting this SJT the final stage?
Same! My feedback report came out similarly. Not entirely sure what I could have improved considering I used their key assessment skills on their website.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Same! My feedback report came out similarly. Not entirely sure what I could have improved considering I used their key assessment skills on their website.
Mine came out the exact same - very high on verbal and numerical - everything else was 'this is an area you could improve on'.

I noticed the email from grad rec said:
"Please note that the report is designed to help candidates develop in all areas, especially within our key competencies. It’s not entirely based on your exact answers, despite how the wording can come across. For peace of mind, I can assure you that we do not look at these reports when reviewing each application."

So cryptic hah. What are they saying here, it basically doesn't matter? Given everyone is getting either a) a blank report or b) the same one, which appears to be automated, I'm not sure what's going on here. @Jessica Booker in your experience how would you interpret that email from GR?

• ℹ️
Reactions: I’m_Batman, FCL25 and RBUCL

Meena

Jan 13, 2023
Mine came out the exact same - very high on verbal and numerical - everything else was 'this is an area you could improve on'.

"Please note that the report is designed to help candidates develop in all areas, especially within our key competencies. It’s not entirely based on your exact answers, despite how the wording can come across. For peace of mind, I can assure you that we do not look at these reports when reviewing each application."

So cryptic hah. What are they saying here, it basically doesn't matter? Given everyone is getting either a) a blank report or b) the same one, which appears to be automated, I'm not sure what's going on here. @Jessica Booker in your experience how would you interpret that email from GR?
Where did you get that email😫? I didn’t receive that wording in my email haha.

“Thank you for completing the A&O interactive assessment. We are pleased to share some feedback from this assessment, which we hope you find useful.

Please be aware that the feedback for each of the behaviours is solely in relation to your multiple choice responses to the scenarios in the assessment, but we do hope you can use this report to learn more about your strengths and potential development areas. Additionally, don't worry if one of your pillars appears low (e.g. Grit), as we take a holistic approach, in that we will consider all components of your assessment. “

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I would interpret it that you can develop the skill further (but that’s likely to be the case for most people apply for an entry level role) and therefore the report is for your personal benefit, rather than for the firm to use for recruitment purposes.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Where did you get that email😫? I didn’t receive that wording in my email haha.

“Thank you for completing the A&O interactive assessment. We are pleased to share some feedback from this assessment, which we hope you find useful.

Please be aware that the feedback for each of the behaviours is solely in relation to your multiple choice responses to the scenarios in the assessment, but we do hope you can use this report to learn more about your strengths and potential development areas. Additionally, don't worry if one of your pillars appears low (e.g. Grit), as we take a holistic approach, in that we will consider all components of your assessment. “
I got it this morning after I sent a follow up email to them noting I had a blank report They sent me that email with the correct report attached.

• ℹ️
Reactions: axelbeugre, I’m_Batman and Meena

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.