Allen & Overy Winter Vacation Scheme 2024

RBUCL

Premium Member
Jul 21, 2021
I just received the email, so they're definitely still sending them out, most likely in batches - hopefully, you'll receive a response soon 😊

I received the e-mail this evening as well, just to further add to the notion that they are sending them out in batches. As long as your application was submitted and the interactive assessment completed, there's no reason to worry imo.
That's incredibly reassuring! Thank you both for the update :)

Reactions: jas1502

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
For those that received the email, did your portal update the date of the “reviewing application” stage?

Or did it simply stay as the date of submission?

Aug 28, 2023
Has anyone had an AC invite yet?
Nope! I don't remember where I saw it but I have it in my notes that we are meant to start hearing from Oct 9th (tomorrow). I can't find on their website where I got that date, so it must have been said by a grad recruiter when I attended one of their events/ the Legal Cheek fair.

Luckily, since we have all applied for a winter scheme, we should ideally know if we are through to the next stage before Fireworks night imo.

Reactions: RBUCL and kmo20

kmo20

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2023
Nope! I don't remember where I saw it but I have it in my notes that we are meant to start hearing from Oct 9th (tomorrow). I can't find on their website where I got that date, so it must have been said by a grad recruiter when I attended one of their events/ the Legal Cheek fair.

Luckily, since we have all applied for a winter scheme, we should ideally know if we are through to the next stage before Fireworks night imo.
Thank you!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
A&O assessment centre invite!
My first one. Very nervous already haha - any tips very much welcome!
Congratulations, this is a massive piece of news! You should be so proud of yourself!
In terms of tips for an assessment centre, what I would suggest is:
  1. Research the Firm:
    • Familiarise yourself with the law firm's culture, values, practice areas, and recent news.
    • Understand the firm's clients, notable cases, and any unique selling points.
  2. Prepare for Interviews:
    • Be ready for both competency-based and situational interviews.
    • Use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) method to structure your answers to competency questions.
    • Research common law firm interview questions and prepare thoughtful, concise responses.
  3. Legal Knowledge:
    • Brush up on your legal knowledge and be prepared to discuss recent developments in law.
    • Stay updated on current legal issues and landmark cases relevant to the firm's practice areas.
  4. Commercial Awareness:
    • Understand the business side of law. Read financial news, follow industry trends, and be aware of the firm's clients and competitors.
    • Discuss how legal issues impact the firm's clients and the broader business world.
  5. Group Exercises:
    • In group activities, demonstrate teamwork, leadership, and effective communication.
    • Be active but not domineering, and listen to others' perspectives.
  6. Written Exercises:
    • Pay attention to detail in written exercises, and proofread your work carefully.
    • Structure your written responses logically and concisely.
  7. Presentation Skills:
    • If you have to give a presentation, practice your speaking skills and be clear and confident.
    • Organise your thoughts logically and use visual aids effectively if allowed.
  8. Assessment Day Etiquette:
    • Dress professionally and in accordance with the firm's culture.
    • Arrive on time, be polite to everyone you meet, and maintain a positive attitude.
  9. Be Yourself (this is probably the best piece of advice I can give, as cliché as it sounds, being yourself can get you far in the process):
    • Remember that firms are also looking for candidates who fit well with their culture.
    • Be authentic and let your personality shine through during interviews and interactions.
  10. Follow Up:
    • Send a thank-you email to your interviewers after the assessment centre to express your appreciation for the opportunity.
These are some of the things that really helped me when tackling assessment centres for the first time. I wish you good luck and congratulations once again! @prospectiveswitcher

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2023
Hiya guys in regards to this “There will be a chance for you to complete two video interview questions for which you will be required to record a response“ - is this immediately after the interactive assessment or is it separate, by that I mean can i complete the assessment then do the video a few days later?
In the email it was written that candidates can take break and it wasn't mentioned that the time taken to complete the assessment will be recorded as opposed to HSF’s practice. Still I think you should ask grad rec.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.