TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Has anyone applied for W&C open day, could you share how to approach "the reasons why you would like to attend an open day at White & Case"? Should I structure it like why commercial law, why W&C etc?
Hey @emilyding, here are my tips:
  1. Divide your answer in three parts: what you think you can get out of the day in terms of understanding the nature of the work that the firm does; be exposed to the culture of the firm; get to know trainees, associates and partners and their journeys that brought them to the firm. This structure, in my opinion, is helpful as it allows you to express why you are interested in the firm and explain the benefits you would gain from attending in a way that does sound genuine and enthusiastic. When I was applying to open days/insight days last year, I used to utilise this structure all the time and I was always successful in my applications.
  2. Make sure to relate your reasons why you think the open day will benefit you to yourself and your interests in the legal profession. I personally believe that it is paramount to show that there is a connection between wanting to know more about the firm, its work, its lawyers and yourself, your values and your overall goals. This will be quintessential to make your answer personal to you and unique. Remember that a lot of people are applying to open days and the most important thing that you have to show is uniqueness in your application (other than the interest to the firm and its work of course).
I hope these tips are helpful and good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
hi, i would like to ask if it would be an issue that i have not disclosed any information on failing the first sqe1 attempt on my application. if I were lucky enough to secure a tc/vs offer in which they do not allow sqe resits, would they revoke the offer?
Hey @jlee01,

I honestly do not know if they would revoke the offer but I would say that it is important to be 100% transparent with law firms, so I would send an email to all the firms you have applied thus far letting them know this. This will ensure that you have been upfront and you did not hide the information from them. I am sure they will understand and you will not be penalised for this, but I would recommend to always be upfront with law firms. You do not want to be in the situation where they found out you did not disclose something that was of major importance to them. In conclusion, for your piece of mind, I would recommend disclose it as soon as possible by sending them an email.

Good luck with the application cycle!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Woke up to DLA VI 🥹 third cycle of applying to DLA, used to getting a pfo After WG 😭, if anyone has done the specific DLA one please let me know!
Congratulations for this achievement! It is definitely difficult so I applaud you for receiving the video interview!
I also would like to say that your perseverance is so inspiring and I am sure that many people will be motivated by your experience, this is just an amazing testament that keep working hard and believing in your dreams will pay off soon or later!

Good luck with the application cycle!! @sm99

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and sm99

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Sidley PFO. Extremely gutted, I put a lot of effort into that application. Applied on 29/9.
Hey @babylawyer1942,

I am so sorry for this and I totally sympathise with you. I was in your same shoes last year. I applied to Sidley and I worked really hard on my application and I ended up being rejected. I was gutted indeed, however that rejection did not stop me. And by February I had multiple offers from other US firms that ended up being more of a better fit for me than what Sidley could have been. So I hope my experience motivates you to keep going and keep your options open and your head held high. If you believe you will succeed in this cycle, you will certainly do just that!

Keep going and good luck with the application cycle! Remember that rejection is ALWAYS redirection, and sometimes that redirection might guide you towards something that might be better for you.

Best of luck!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Anyone know how work experience should be organised on Vantage? Do most recent experiences go at the top and oldest at bottom. Unsure as it doesn't explicitly say anywhere.
Hey @gilo,

The way I had approached it last year when I was applying to places like Goodwin or Dentons who use Vantage was writing my work experience from the most recent to the oldest one. So, start with the ones you have recently completed all the way down to the ones you have done when you were younger. That worked for me as I did not have any issues and managed to progress to the next stages of the application with the two firms I mentioned.

I hope this helps and good luck with the cycle!

Reactions: gilo

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
would it be safe to assume that dla piper would prefer cvs in one page instead of two, given their application questions are relatively shorter than other firms (200 words each)?
I would not make that assumption to be honest as I know of people applying to the firm with two pages CVs and managed to get the training contract offer!

• 🏆
Reactions: HLL

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker I hope you are well. I would appreciate your help in something I am stuck on. Sidley has A-level requirements of AAA, however, I am unsure what that would be in IB terms. Do you have any insights? Many thanks.
Hey @saraeali,

It might be equal to a 36 IB however I am not completely sure. As an international applicant, to calculate your grades and their A-Level equivalent, what I used to do was going to a random UK university application information (let's say Oxford) for a specific course (maybe law) and you see the A-Level requirement and its equivalent based on the academic qualification you have and the country you have studied in. That was very useful in finding the equivalent to my Italian grades. I hope that helps!

Good luck!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
i was doing a vi and my browser literally crashed on the last q, now it says my application has been sent off when I didn't even record the final question:(
Hey @mfuturetrainee,

I am so sorry about this! I know that many people have struggled with this though, so you are not on your own. What I would do is emailing the firm to let them know what happened and if they can assist you by sending the VI again. Most probably they will understand the situation and give you another chance. Otherwise, they will take this into consideration whilst reviewing your application. Whatever the outcome, I would email the firm immediately and let them know.

Good luck with it!

Reactions: Jaysen

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Hey @saraeali,

It might be equal to a 36 IB however I am not completely sure. As an international applicant, to calculate your grades and their A-Level equivalent, what I used to do was going to a random UK university application information (let's say Oxford) for a specific course (maybe law) and you see the A-Level requirement and its equivalent based on the academic qualification you have and the country you have studied in. That was very useful in finding the equivalent to my Italian grades. I hope that helps!

Good luck!
I will caveat Axel's response here and say this is not always an ideal approach. I did this initially, but for whatever reason, most courses like Economics/Law at Russell Group uni's had relatively drastically higher requirements in my own country's A-level equivalents. For example, in England approx. 20% of A-level students in a given year will receive AAA or above grades in their A-levels. When I was looking at courses with AAB-esque requirements for UK applicants (so we are talking at least top 20% of test takers if 20% receive AAA) the equivalent grades you needed in my country would place you in the top 3% of results. I believe this is because they poorly interpreted the grade equivalents (e.g. comparing an A-level 'A' as like-for-like with another, when it is not the case).

What I would do instead is:
1. Explicitly state what percentile you came in nationally in your country's exams, if you can
2. Calculate your UCAS Tariff points - these can be a bit more accurate
3. Find the reverse - what are A-level entry requirements for universities in your own country? (This also helped me corroborate my claim, as my grades were rated as A*A*A* equivalent on webpages for UK applicants by universities in my country)

Reactions: axelbeugre

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Hey,

I was wondering if anybody could help. I got locked out of my DLA interview account last night, and my deadline is today.

I sent an email to DLA asking if they could unlock my account - they’ve not yet responded.

I wonder if anyone has a number I could call? I’m not sure if it’s urgent - as I assume they’d mitigate against the deadline once they see my email anyway but after a terrible experience with another firm last year, I can’t be too sure.

Equally, is it a bad look that I only tried one day before the deadline?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.