TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I will caveat Axel's response here and say this is not always an ideal approach. I did this initially, but for whatever reason, most courses like Economics/Law at Russell Group uni's had relatively drastically higher requirements in my own country's A-level equivalents. For example, in England approx. 20% of A-level students in a given year will receive AAA or above grades in their A-levels. When I was looking at courses with AAB-esque requirements for UK applicants (so we are talking at least top 20% of test takers if 20% receive AAA) the equivalent grades you needed in my country would place you in the top 3% of results. I believe this is because they poorly interpreted the grade equivalents (e.g. comparing an A-level 'A' as like-for-like with another, when it is not the case).

What I would do instead is:
1. Explicitly state what percentile you came in nationally in your country's exams, if you can
2. Calculate your UCAS Tariff points - these can be a bit more accurate
3. Find the reverse - what are A-level entry requirements for universities in your own country? (This also helped me corroborate my claim, as my grades were rated as A*A*A* equivalent on webpages for UK applicants by universities in my country)
@prospectiveswitcher thank you so much for providing your perspective on the matter as I am sure there are different, and probably more efficient ways, to go about this. In all honesty, I did struggle too much with trying to find the equivalent as my high school grade was 100/100. I ended up explaining that this was equivalent to A* A* A*, but never put UCAS Tariff points and it worked out fine for me. But I think your perspective is valuable indeed, so thank you so much!

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hey,

I was wondering if anybody could help. I got locked out of my DLA interview account last night, and my deadline is today.

I sent an email to DLA asking if they could unlock my account - they’ve not yet responded.

I wonder if anyone has a number I could call? I’m not sure if it’s urgent - as I assume they’d mitigate against the deadline once they see my email anyway but after a terrible experience with another firm last year, I can’t be too sure.

Equally, is it a bad look that I only tried one day before the deadline?
Hi, I dont know if this applies to you, but the VI is on a different platform. So the account you submitted your application with is different from the one of the interview. You have to register on cappassessments. Its kind of confusing because their email does not say that you have to register again, but you have to register to complete the VI.

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
Sep 14, 2023
Guys what's the chance of getting an Open Day offer from Links with 99th percentile WG? I looked back at previous threads and it looks like WG isn't weighed that highly compared to other factors?
I had that before and it didn’t make a difference. The SJT is more important I think.
It seems that wg might be more of a Pass/Fail and not an indication of app success

Reactions: aishaslm

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    White & Case VI and Dechert VI back to back…

Not going to lie, definitely surprised considering I have BCC at A-Level but guess there’s a little hope.

P.S - DLA did not respond, so I contacted cappfinity instead - they managed to reset it from the back-end. Account got locked due to a password error. Peak.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.