TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Hi guys! I need some help. My Travers cover letter is currently 855 words. I made sure I didn’t waffle anywhere. Would this be a problem?
    They don’t specify any word count and currently my cover letter is 1.5 pages long.

clo224455

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 2, 2023
    Just did the Mills & Reeves test so here to help those who might find the info helpful: it is almost identical to the Pinsent Mason one! It's a mix of SJT, verbal and numerical reasoning questions (as stated in their email). So yes to calculation questions. I found it fairly straight forward compared to the tests from some other firms, good luck!
    Thanks so much for sharing this!
    What was the written question like, could you share a bit more about this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just wondering if we should include open days in the work experience section if there's already a supplementary question later on in the application asking for details about any open days/legal events we have attended? Just seems difficult to include both without any overlap @Jessica Booker
    It only needs to be in one section - there is no need repeating it. Which section you put it in is ultimately up to you, but I think it’s better suited to the extra info section (but that’s just my preference).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys! I need some help. My Travers cover letter is currently 855 words. I made sure I didn’t waffle anywhere. Would this be a problem?
    They don’t specify any word count and currently my cover letter is 1.5 pages long.
    I think that length is fine - it’s not too short/long and a similar length to other firms cover letters/personal statements.

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 17, 2023
    The time has finally come guys, I have just been offered a TC with Travers Smith.

Awkwardly, I answered the call whilst in a meeting with my manager - I don’t know who was crying more, her or me.

I stand by what I said. Rejections will come, and they will come in the dozens. But that one AC can turn into one VS which can turn into one TC.

Do not give up ❤️

Also, as cliche as it is for everyone to say this - but @Jaysen and the team, thank you so much for creating and maintaining this platform. I will never be able to put into words all that it has done for me this past year. I’d say I wish I found it sooner, but I don’t regret receiving my TC offer 4 years post graduation - each year has given me so many amazing experiences.
    Congratulations!!!!!!! You deserve it <3

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
    Nov 8, 2023
    I'd suggest you apply for the TC. The application processes are exactly the same.

Kirkland hasn't run a Vacation Scheme for the last few years, and they said that they most likely won't in 2024 either (although they're not sure).

They're currently giving us the option to apply for a Vacation Scheme. However, chances are, they'll just invite those who apply for the VS to the same assessment centre as direct TC applicants.

This is what they've done for the last few years, and they've said that it's quite advantageous.
    But was that not due to the pandemic they wanted people in the office and were not in favour of virtual VS.

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
    Nov 8, 2023
    I spoke to recruitment and they said that, even for 2024, they might not run VSs. Since the pandemic, they've not had VSs. Even in 2023.
    Interesting and am curious as to why could it be because they are losing trainees post qualification. Sorry am just curious as for VS you want to see if the firm is a right fit for you and with Kirkland culture the rest is history.

SoonToBeTrainee

Standard Member
    Dec 29, 2023
    Interesting and am curious as to why could it be because they are losing trainees post qualification. Sorry am just curious as for VS you want to see if the firm is a right fit for you and with Kirkland culture the rest is history.
    No worries, I completely understand.

I suppose a 2 week VS just isn't the same as working at a firm for 2 years.

Last edited:

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
    Nov 8, 2023
    No worries, I completely understand.

I suppose a 2 week VS just isn't the same as working at a firm for 2 years.

A lot of trainees may think they like a particular firm (or at least think they're willing to put up with the long hours for the money) but then realise, after 2 years, that it's just not the job or firm for them. Burnout, especially at a firm like Kirkland, is real.

I imagine recruitment know the sort of person they're looking for. Therefore, recruitment must think that they're able to spot those people at the AC level rather than only the VS level.

Generally speaking, I think it's best to treat Kirkland more like a machine that churns out trainees and associates, rather than a firm that particularly cares about you.

Kirkland does not thank you. Kirkland does not congratulate you. In fact, you owe Kirkland for even applying and taking the time to read your application.

I'm half-joking here. But I think the reality is, Kirkland only accepts people who already know what they're getting themselves into.

And even then, some of them don't make it...
    I agree with you on everything here like their app is mad long and think people only apply for them because of PE work or because of the money.

TakeAChanceOnMe

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 4, 2023
    You are allowed, but having done this before in the previous cycle, I would be cautious because I found it threw me off. The temptation to glance at the piece of paper is there and it will be obvious if you're no longer focusing on the camera. I would try to avoid it as much as possible, but it won't be uncommon and firms will be understanding of nerves :)
    Try a post-it near the camera with main points - why law, why this firm etc

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Maybe it just doesn’t logistically work for them.

A vacation scheme is a lot of work for what it is. They may not have the HR resource to run it or it could be that they don’t have the infrastructure in teams to support vacation scheme students (eg supervisors/desk space etc).

Formally onboarding employees for 2 weeks crosses so many teams outside the departments they are sat in - HR, IT, Risk & Compliance, Facilities. You need the infrastructure over the summer to support this.

Some firms also experience a lot of candidates using their vacation scheme as a CV builder with no intention of taking a TC with the firm. It could easily be that they experience this, and then find many of the candidates they have invested time in just go to other firms as trainees anyway.

Reactions: Manuchelsout

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The time has finally come guys, I have just been offered a TC with Travers Smith.

Awkwardly, I answered the call whilst in a meeting with my manager - I don’t know who was crying more, her or me.

I stand by what I said. Rejections will come, and they will come in the dozens. But that one AC can turn into one VS which can turn into one TC.

Do not give up ❤️

Also, as cliche as it is for everyone to say this - but @Jaysen and the team, thank you so much for creating and maintaining this platform. I will never be able to put into words all that it has done for me this past year. I’d say I wish I found it sooner, but I don’t regret receiving my TC offer 4 years post graduation - each year has given me so many amazing experiences.

I am so happy to read this. I have really enjoyed following your journey in the forum and I think you are inspiring to many of our members. A huge huge well done to you :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.