TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
The time has finally come guys, I have just been offered a TC with Travers Smith.

Awkwardly, I answered the call whilst in a meeting with my manager - I don’t know who was crying more, her or me.

I stand by what I said. Rejections will come, and they will come in the dozens. But that one AC can turn into one VS which can turn into one TC.

Do not give up ❤️

Also, as cliche as it is for everyone to say this - but @Jaysen and the team, thank you so much for creating and maintaining this platform. I will never be able to put into words all that it has done for me this past year. I’d say I wish I found it sooner, but I don’t regret receiving my TC offer 4 years post graduation - each year has given me so many amazing experiences.
Wow, huge congratulations!!!! Absolutely thrilled for you. You’ve been so supportive and encouraging to so many of us during this difficult process. No one deserves this opportunity more, TS have made a great choice

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    The time has finally come guys, I have just been offered a TC with Travers Smith.

Awkwardly, I answered the call whilst in a meeting with my manager - I don’t know who was crying more, her or me.

I stand by what I said. Rejections will come, and they will come in the dozens. But that one AC can turn into one VS which can turn into one TC.

Do not give up ❤️

Also, as cliche as it is for everyone to say this - but @Jaysen and the team, thank you so much for creating and maintaining this platform. I will never be able to put into words all that it has done for me this past year. I’d say I wish I found it sooner, but I don’t regret receiving my TC offer 4 years post graduation - each year has given me so many amazing experiences.
    An absolute inspiration to us all! So well deserved!

Reactions: LegallyBrown

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023

Do not give up ❤️

Absolutely thrilled for you, warm congratulations and well deserved!!!

Reactions: LegallyBrown

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    For VI's, are we allowed to have a piece of paper laying down somewhere to recall certain points? Sorry might be stupid but first application cycle for me
    You are allowed, but having done this before in the previous cycle, I would be cautious because I found it threw me off. The temptation to glance at the piece of paper is there and it will be obvious if you're no longer focusing on the camera. I would try to avoid it as much as possible, but it won't be uncommon and firms will be understanding of nerves :)

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    For VI's, are we allowed to have a piece of paper laying down somewhere to recall certain points? Sorry might be stupid but first application cycle for me
    Yes, you can! But I would rather have a word document open with some bullet points rather than a piece of paper, as it may be less evident if you’re looking at it for guidance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes, you can do this. But make sure it is really key words. Don’t create a script and read from it as it will come across as over prepared/not natural, or like you are making a speech rather than a conversation.

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    Were there any calculation questions
    Just did the Mills & Reeves test so here to help those who might find the info helpful: it is almost identical to the Pinsent Mason one! It's a mix of SJT, verbal and numerical reasoning questions (as stated in their email). So yes to calculation questions. I found it fairly straight forward compared to the tests from some other firms, good luck!

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
    Nov 8, 2023
    Just did the Mills & Reeves test so here to help those who might find the info helpful: it is almost identical to the Pinsent Mason one! It's a mix of SJT, verbal and numerical reasoning questions (as stated in their email). So yes to calculation questions. I found it fairly straight forward compared to the tests from some other firms, good luck!
    Thank you appreciate this

shortypie90

Dec 9, 2021
    Just wondering if we should include open days in the work experience section if there's already a supplementary question later on in the application asking for details about any open days/legal events we have attended? Just seems difficult to include both without any overlap @Jessica Booker

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.