TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Happy Friday everyone!!
    If anyone needs a sign of motivation here it is…

1. This is my first cycle applying
    2. Yes I have applied to way too Many firms
    3. Yes I have a rejections sheet which is just as impressive 😭
    4. I probably won’t get any offers due to the sheer amount I have applied to but I’ve found joy in applying.
    5. how did I find the time? I had a week or so off of work as I was sick and used that time to apply x Christmas break.
    I had a mind block after my Fieldfisher PFO post TI and wanted to give up all together. But I’d say rejection pushed me to apply to more places. There are some firms I’ve put more effort into than others, and others I applied to just to improve my understanding of tests.
    7996A985-0225-4FAF-816B-6DDA162585FA.jpeg

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
    Nov 8, 2023
    Happy Friday everyone!!
    If anyone needs a sign of motivation here it is…

1. This is my first cycle applying
    2. Yes I have applied to way too Many firms
    3. Yes I have a rejections sheet which is just as impressive 😭
    4. I probably won’t get any offers due to the sheer amount I have applied to but I’ve found joy in applying.
    5. how did I find the time? I had a week or so off of work as I was sick and used that time to apply x Christmas break.
    I had a mind block after my Fieldfisher PFO post TI and wanted to give up all together. But I’d say rejection pushed me to apply to more places. There are some firms I’ve put more effort into than others, and others I applied to just to improve my understanding of tests.
    View attachment 5556
    Good application tracker and that is impressive for 1st cycle

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Same! I have also already applied last month. Is this worrying?
    No - I suspect there is either a technical or human fault in utilising a candidate database, whether that be something like Vantage or their own data they have collected. If you attended multiple events with them, it could easily be that they have your email on their database multiples times (and just haven’t tidied the data up of duplicates).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys, where do you begin looking when a firm says "what work have we done recently that interests you" I never know where to begin researching as a lot of things firms do are only reported on their website (from what I can tell), so it's difficult to draw 250-300 words out on this. I'd appreciate any advice on where to look and how to go about answering this 🤗🙏
    Looking at their Legal 500 or Chambers profile (the “client” version, not the student version), can be helpful in finding out about individual matters. There may lack detail about those matters, but then further research into the client or the news story can often pick up different articles that describe more of the content of the matter for you to consider.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have my first AC of the cycle on 16 Jan.

Group exercises seem like something that is essentially hard to prepare for (aside from commercial knowledge that might assist the scenario). Does anyone have advice about what I could do to prepare? The AC is CMS London if that helps more with the specifics.

I appreciate any advice.
    I don’t think you can prepare for group exercises. Just go in with a willingness to collaborate with everyone else (don’t dominate proceedings), and try to be flexible/adaptable in your thinking and approach. Make sure you get your ideas forward, get consensus for those ideas from your group, and be supportive (where appropriate) of good ideas of other people.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm reading through my answer for Covington before I submit. I am worrying whether I have answered the question too specifically.

The question is: Focusing on a particular practice group at the firm, what challenges and opportunities do you foresee over the next 12 months?

Looking at the Cov website, practice areas are siloed into: Corporate, Litigations and Investigations, Regulatory and Public Policy and then Industries and Issues.

On chambers, they are listed as being: 'Trainees are able to choose two seats from five practice areas: Corporate, Dispute Resolution, Employment, Life Sciences Regulatory, Life Sciences Transactional, Project Development and Finance, and Technology Regulatory.'

I have written an answer on the challenges and opportunities in Project Dev and Finance - specifically focusing on the renewable PF, but I am now wondering if it should be PF in general (which seems overly broad), or even wider challenges and opportunities facing their corporate practice for instance...
    I think this will be fine. I wouldn’t worry about it being more specific to one practice area.

• Love
    Reactions: sxw517

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone - first time poster here! I've recieved one assessment day for Cleary Gottlieb and one final-stage interview for Slaughters (as for vac schemes they have no ACs). I was wondering, at this stage, what my chances of securing an offer for a vac scheme were? I know the answer won't change anything as I will prepare in the same way. But I was wondering nonetheless.
    Unfortunately no one can determine this for you. Your chances will be determined by how you perform in the assessments, not by how many people are involved in the process.typically there will be 2-3 candidates for every vacancy at the final stage, but if the firm needed to interview more candidates, they would just do this (or hire fewer people if this was not an option).

Pennine Valley

Esteemed Member
    Nov 18, 2023
    Unfortunately no one can determine this for you. Your chances will be determined by how you perform in the assessments, not by how many people are involved in the process.typically there will be 2-3 candidates for every vacancy at the final stage, but if the firm needed to interview more candidates, they would just do this (or hire fewer people if this was not an option).
    Hi what reasons can a firm have for disallowing extra time to be added to a test? I have e-mailed them with my evidence and they have said that they will take it into consideration when reviewing my score. This is for the Trowers McQuiag test and I am assuming that everyone's request will be rejected?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi what reasons can a firm have for disallowing extra time to be added to a test? I have e-mailed them with my evidence and they have said that they will take it into consideration when reviewing my score. This is for the Trowers McQuiag test and I am assuming that everyone's request will be rejected?
    It might be as simple that it is not possible to add additional time to the test. It maybe that the test provider/designer states that it is not appropriate to add extra time to keep the validity of the test. Or it just may be considered that it is not a “reasonable” adjustment. It could be that the test isn’t timed too.

I can’t say the adjustment won’t be applied to others though - there are instances where sometimes additional time will be allocated to some candidates but not others based on their individual criteria/reasons for the adjustments.

Amy Lucy

Star Member
    Dec 26, 2023
    WFW PFO
    Stings as it was one of my top firms and i literally work in maritime and aerospace (3rd one today... hoping to get 1 more today so it's an even number) x
    Sorry to hear this, but now that you have had experience with applications with these firms you will be a much stronger candidate in future applications! Do you have any advice by any chance for the WFW? the video interview deadline is today for me if anybody could give insight would really appreciate

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.