TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

anon12

Jan 8, 2024
I have just seen someone on LinkedIn get an offer for a summer vac scheme for Linklaters!!! If this is true, waiting 5-6 weeks for rejection is so cruel.
guys I have a confession to make, I was one of the people that got fast tracked for an AC and also got a spring vac scheme for Linklaters 🎉🎉. Hang in there im sure they will be sending AC's out very soon.

SarahO

Standard Member
Premium Member
Aug 7, 2020
guys I have a confession to make, I was one of the people that got fast tracked for an AC and also got a spring vac scheme for Linklaters 🎉🎉. Hang in there im sure they will be sending AC's out very soon.
Hiya, congratulations. Please how long did it take to hear back post AC? Plus did you see the offer coming? Did you think you passed all sections?

anon12

Jan 8, 2024
Hiya, congratulations. Please how long did it take to hear back post AC? Plus did you see the offer coming? Did you think you passed all sections
They called me two days after the AC and no I did not see it coming, im still in shock now. I mean im going to assume I passed all the sections since I got the scheme but im not sure they dont really dive into your results, they gave me feedback on areas to work on and said I really impressed in my partner inrerview but idk.

• 🏆
Reactions: VMS

SarahO

Standard Member
Premium Member
Aug 7, 2020
They called me two days after the AC and no I did not see it coming, im still in shock now. I mean im going to assume I passed all the sections since I got the scheme but im not sure they dont really dive into your results, they gave me feedback on areas to work on and said I really impressed in my partner inrerview but idk.
Oh fantastic, congratulations again :)

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If you had a very glaringly obvious mistake in your CV (one of the headers), should you email the firm to give them an updated CV? Idk how I missed it
No, chances are they might not even notice it or think it is a big of a deal. By emailing them you are making the error obvious and I am not sure whether that would help anyway, so I would just leave it. I had errors in my applications too last year and I managed to get offers so I would not worry!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I'm reading through my answer for Covington before I submit. I am worrying whether I have answered the question too specifically.

The question is: Focusing on a particular practice group at the firm, what challenges and opportunities do you foresee over the next 12 months?

Looking at the Cov website, practice areas are siloed into: Corporate, Litigations and Investigations, Regulatory and Public Policy and then Industries and Issues.

On chambers, they are listed as being: 'Trainees are able to choose two seats from five practice areas: Corporate, Dispute Resolution, Employment, Life Sciences Regulatory, Life Sciences Transactional, Project Development and Finance, and Technology Regulatory.'

I have written an answer on the challenges and opportunities in Project Dev and Finance - specifically focusing on the renewable PF, but I am now wondering if it should be PF in general (which seems overly broad), or even wider challenges and opportunities facing their corporate practice for instance...

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey guys, where do you begin looking when a firm says "what work have we done recently that interests you" I never know where to begin researching as a lot of things firms do are only reported on their website (from what I can tell), so it's difficult to draw 250-300 words out on this. I'd appreciate any advice on where to look and how to go about answering this 🤗🙏
    I would start my research from the website of the firm but then there are a number of different legal sites you can use like chamber's student, legal500, I used to also use the lawyer, LinkedIn is a great source. Additionally, social media like Instagram (especially if the firm is very active on it it can be quite good) and youtube as well.

I hope these help and good luck with your applications!

Hani156

Standard Member
    Nov 30, 2023
    Preparing for SQE 1 exams which take place next week whilst simultaneously applying to firms for VS and paralegal roles has been incredibly stressful. Getting rejections can seriously dampen your mood which affects the energy with which you prepare for exams.

But those who will be sitting the SQE exams next week - best of luck with the exams and the law firm applications. We've got this!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    if I get rejected from S&C for the VS can I still apply for the TC? I know firms like W&C do it so Sullivan may as well
    Yes you can, it will be quite difficult to get through the direct training contract route though as nothing in your application will severely change in less than 6 months (cause they open in May I believe). Moreover, they tend to give all the spots to vacation scheme students anyway so bear this in mind. I know this because I applied both for the vacation scheme and the direct training contract last year and that is what graduate recruitment told me.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Preparing for SQE 1 exams which take place next week whilst simultaneously applying to firms for VS and paralegal roles has been incredibly stressful. Getting rejections can seriously dampen your mood which affects the energy with which you prepare for exams.

But those who will be sitting the SQE exams next week - best of luck with the exams and the law firm applications. We've got this!
    Good luck with the exam, I am sure you will be great at it!
    I totally sympathise with the stress and anxiety you might be under but you are working so hard to achieve your goals and I am sure that your future is bright and all the effort you are putting in now will pay off in the near future. You are showing perseverance, bravery, tenacity and strength through this process and I am sure that any law firm will be lucky to have you.

Good luck with your journey and good luck for the SQE!

Reactions: Hani156

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2023
    I'm reading through my answer for Covington before I submit. I am worrying whether I have answered the question too specifically.

The question is: Focusing on a particular practice group at the firm, what challenges and opportunities do you foresee over the next 12 months?

Looking at the Cov website, practice areas are siloed into: Corporate, Litigations and Investigations, Regulatory and Public Policy and then Industries and Issues.

On chambers, they are listed as being: 'Trainees are able to choose two seats from five practice areas: Corporate, Dispute Resolution, Employment, Life Sciences Regulatory, Life Sciences Transactional, Project Development and Finance, and Technology Regulatory.'

I have written an answer on the challenges and opportunities in Project Dev and Finance - specifically focusing on the renewable PF, but I am now wondering if it should be PF in general (which seems overly broad), or even wider challenges and opportunities facing their corporate practice for instance...
    I interpreted it more specifically - I wrote about technology regulatory

Reactions: sxw517
    Hey everyone - first time poster here! I've recieved one assessment day for Cleary Gottlieb and one final-stage interview for Slaughters (as for vac schemes they have no ACs). I was wondering, at this stage, what my chances of securing an offer for a vac scheme were? I know the answer won't change anything as I will prepare in the same way. But I was wondering nonetheless.

Xx123_

Dec 21, 2023
    Hi I have an upcoming AC with Links - do you have any advice for the case study section? I’m really nervous about it

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.