TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Erspencer

Aug 4, 2023
Ashurst written case study invite! I feel so proud, I'd almost lost hope this cycle😅 Does anyone know of any resources to help prepare or what a case study entails please? I have never got this far before in an application process!
Check out itsallheresay (on instagram) she’s has loads of mock case studies and written assessment prep! I think she also has a web page

• Love
Reactions: addy2004

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
Oct 27, 2023
Unfortunately firms, especially top firms, don’t care about diversity except for ethnic diversity. This means you can be a middle class black man and get onto black only schemes regardless of your background.

For this reason I would have only diversity for social mobility and disability only imo. Non-RG would come under social mobility.
It seems as though you want to retract from the lack of ethnic diversity in the legal profession with this comment.
Ethnic diversity is to increase the number of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic students, as social mobility is to increase the number of students from working class backgrounds.

I think what you mean is that, law firms perhaps pick persons who still fall within the 'elite' category, so a private school educated black candidate is picked over one that grew up on a housing estate. Similarly, a white candidate whose parents did not go to university, can still be very wealthy (e.g. Richard Branson's children and Sir Alan Sugars children), and so does not truly represent what this category was set up to reflect.

I agree there is gaming by law firms, but that does not take away from the fact that there is a lack of black men in the legal profession. If they don't start with the private, grammar, RG and Oxbridge black male candidates, then there really isn't any hope for the rest. Though, I do agree that they are gaming and this should be called out.

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2023
for the MC firms that don't open their vacation schemes to graduates, I was wondering what my chances are applying direct TC as a fresh grad without any vacation scheme experiences with other firms? Feels like I'd be competing with career changers with a lot more experience than me

ccfuturetraineesolicitor

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2022
Covington
White and Case
Milbank
Freshfields

I swear to god, the lack of correspondence is making me want to blow my brains out
Same but I’m trying to rationalise it a bit so that I don’t obsessively think about when these firms will respond. I know Covington and Milbank are non-rolling, and their deadline was last week and two weeks ago, respectively. It’s likely that they’re still reviewing applications and shortlisting candidates. I’m sure there are lots of logistics behind this - e.g getting the grad rec partner to read through the application, timetabling AC dates, finding interviewers, and so that’s why it’s taking a while for them to respond. Also I don’t think anyone has heard back from Covington and Milbank yet so it’s reassuring to know that there are several others in the same situation :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.