TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi guys, I have a quick question for Stephenson Harwood(forgive me if these are all obvious):
1. Is it rolling?
2. Can one apply for their VS and TC in the same cycle?
3. What is their ratio of VS/Direct TC intakes? Does anyone have any advice on which would be better to apply to (for sb that has approx 1 1/2 years legal experience) ?
Thanks so much in advance for any tips. @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
I am not very keen on this information on the firm specifically, however I am pretty sure that if you go on their website you will find these specifics. Alternatively, you can go and read the firm's profile and training contract characteristics on some websites like Chamber's student which is quite helpful. I applied to the firm last year to their direct training contract so I do not know anything about the vacation scheme process. However, for what concerns which one to apply to between training contracts and vacation schemes, I also say that vacation schemes are better as you get a chance to experience the firm and connect with the lawyers and everyone at the firm, and you will potentially have much more chances.

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2023
Unfortunately firms, especially top firms, don’t care about diversity except for ethnic diversity. This means you can be a middle class black man and get onto black only schemes regardless of your background.

For this reason I would have only diversity for social mobility and disability only imo. Non-RG would come under social mobility.
Personally I dont really agree with this.

I would argue that instead of non-RG coming under social mobility, there needs to be, in general, a recognised effort for academic diversity. Meaning, an acceptance for different types of educational institutions - just like there has been more open-mindedness for apprenticeships recently.

Even if a black male came from a middle class background, only recognising social mobility, means that we do not appreciate the statistics - which is that there are little to no individuals like this in the corporate field (at partner level in general). Why is that? Grouping them solely under social mobility would not be addressing the cause of the issue. As a woman of colour from a working class background, it looks really disheartening to see nobody looking like you in positions like that. So i am glad for any type of diversity , including for ethnic minorities, as they may face different barriers, which may be in addition to or instead of social mobility.

Just some ideas for thought, this was not meant to be a rant :)

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Quick question... Those who have received a Freshfields WG have you applied to VS and not direct TC?

As I've put them in my PFO list but just realised that they do a VS so I may still be in the running lmao

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Quick question... Those who have received a Freshfields WG have you applied to VS and not direct TC?

As I've put them in my PFO list but just realised that they do a VS so I may still be in the running lmao
    If you applied for the direct tc i think you should be fine. i think they send the WG after the deadline.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.