TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I wondered if anyone could help me with my approach to the "why City law?/"why London?" question.

I think I'm struggling with tailoring the question specifically. For instance, I'm driven to the international nature of the work that would more likely be provided in London than a regional office say, but the international aspect is a key reason for "why this firm" as well, so I don't want to repeat myself. I feel like perhaps mentioning wanting to stay in London long-term as family/friends are doing the same, and I feel that's a genuine reason, but would the firm care about that?

Secondly, if I was asked this question as opposed to "why commercial law?", how important is it to focus on the "City" aspect. I wouldn't want to circumvent the question but obviously there would be plenty of crossover between my motivations for both questions.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
I wondered if anyone could help me with my approach to the "why City law?/"why London?" question.

I think I'm struggling with tailoring the question specifically. For instance, I'm driven to the international nature of the work that would more likely be provided in London than a regional office say, but the international aspect is a key reason for "why this firm" as well, so I don't want to repeat myself. I feel like perhaps mentioning wanting to stay in London long-term as family/friends are doing the same, and I feel that's a genuine reason, but would the firm care about that?

Secondly, if I was asked this question as opposed to "why commercial law?", how important is it to focus on the "City" aspect. I wouldn't want to circumvent the question but obviously there would be plenty of crossover between my motivations for both questions.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Could approach it by saying London is one of the biggest financial hubs in the world - and saying how the biggest corporations/clients are all located within London, thereby providing an unparalleled access to major transactions. London is also known for its diversity of people, so it would allow you to be involved in a multicultural environment. Something along those lines

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
Just submitted my Reed Smith VI - anyone that has done it PM me. Found the questions quite odd and would be interested to discuss this with others. Really had no idea what to say for some of them.
The structure is better than most firms though. You get unlimited to prepare to respond. So it’s not like you need to know questions in advance or do intense research before starting which is helpful.

Reactions: Deleted member 32324

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Hey guys! Not sure if we are discussing direct TC applications on here, but if anyone has done the Bristows VI, please could I have a quick chat about the format and just need some general tips for preparation! thank you so much <3

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2023
Hello guys,

I am answering this question " Providing an exceptional client service is at the core of everything we do, please provide an example of a time you have delivered exceptional client service". Should I mention how my client service skills will help me succeed, as a trainee, at the firm? @axelbeugre and @Jessica Booker do you have any tips?
out of curiosity, which firm is this for?

clo224455

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 2, 2023
    As part of the application, the firm requires a cover letter to be anonymised. They suggest to sign off the letter using my application reference number. How should I go about formatting it correctly with my address and other details at the top right hand corner, or is this not necessary in this case?

Thanks in advance :)
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    How can I answer this:

"Please provide details of any additional posts of responsibility that have not been caputured in your Work Experience information (e.g. at school, university, or elsewhere) and your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests" @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

even though I have gone into detail in the work experience section and have included all volunteering roles too. (I was also slightly confused that the spelling mistake was not double checked?) :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As part of the application, the firm requires a cover letter to be anonymised. They suggest to sign off the letter using my application reference number. How should I go about formatting it correctly with my address and other details at the top right hand corner, or is this not necessary in this case?

Thanks in advance :)
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
    You don’t need your address or contact details. When they say sign off they just mean.

Yours sincerely/faithfully

And then your candidate number.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How can I answer this:

"Please provide details of any additional posts of responsibility that have not been caputured in your Work Experience information (e.g. at school, university, or elsewhere) and your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests" @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

even though I have gone into detail in the work experience section and have included all volunteering roles too. (I was also slightly confused that the spelling mistake was not double checked?) :)
    Firms are not immune to typos, but they may mean posts rather than positions.

I would shift any roles that were volunteer or extra curriculars (eg societies/clubs at university or school) into this section rather than listing them in your work experience section. You should also include your general interests too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.