TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

vacschemesgalore

Standard Member
Jan 19, 2024
Question about expedited results:
Hey everyone, I have an AC day from Cleary Gottlieb coming up (that will be difficult for me to attend) and I also did my Slaughter and May Summer Work Experience interview early this week - they said they would get back to candidates 'by early march'. They also said that we could ask for an expedited response if we heard anything back (offers, important stages, etc.) from other firms. Slaughters is by far my first choice. I was wondering what the process actually is for an expedited response. Are they more likely to reject you if you say you have an offer or similar from another firm? Or will they be impressed and want to take you on more?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello guys,

I am answering this question " Providing an exceptional client service is at the core of everything we do, please provide an example of a time you have delivered exceptional client service". Should I mention how my client service skills will help me succeed, as a trainee, at the firm? @axelbeugre and @Jessica Booker do you have any tips?
No - you don't need to do this, it is not what the question is asking you, it only wants the example of when you have demostrated the quality - you risk being seen as not answering the question if you do this.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hello guys,

I am answering this question " Providing an exceptional client service is at the core of everything we do, please provide an example of a time you have delivered exceptional client service". Should I mention how my client service skills will help me succeed, as a trainee, at the firm? @axelbeugre and @Jessica Booker do you have any tips?
I think the way I would approach the question is:

• Choose an example that allows you to talk extensively about the question and your experience in client service. This can be a corporate position but also waitressing or working in a shop, even those experiences will be very good examples for this question.
  • Describe exactly what the question asks you, proving an exhaustive picture of what were you doing, what was your task, how did you delivered it exceptionally? How did the client feel about your delivery of the service? What was the outcome? Try to answer all of these questions whilst describing the experience and the event you have in mind.
  • At the end of your answer, if you have some words left, you could explain very briefly how your client service skills will benefit you whilst working as a trainee at the firm, but this should be the focus of your answer as the question specifically asks you to focus on an example.

I hope these tips are helpful and good luck with the application!

Reactions: S87

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Has anyone received a response from Hogan Lovells post Watson Glaser? I haven't but I have noticed one person already has an offer but that was only ONE person. Just trying to figure out whats going on esp since I submitted my test on the last day.
    We have already established THAT person did an insight scheme and was probably fast-tracked hahaha we all freaked out but it seems that nobody heard back post-WG

Don’t worry, we’ll know when they start sending AC invites because many people here applied

s9111

Distinguished Member
    Aug 17, 2023
    After ACs do firms usually send out offers first then rejections after? I interviewed before some people who have already received offers, so I’m getting nervous now waiting for my phone call next week

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I think the way I would approach the question is:

• Choose an example that allows you to talk extensively about the question and your experience in client service. This can be a corporate position but also waitressing or working in a shop, even those experiences will be very good examples for this question.
    • Describe exactly what the question asks you, proving an exhaustive picture of what were you doing, what was your task, how did you delivered it exceptionally? How did the client feel about your delivery of the service? What was the outcome? Try to answer all of these questions whilst describing the experience and the event you have in mind.
    • At the end of your answer, if you have some words left, you could explain very briefly how your client service skills will benefit you whilst working as a trainee at the firm, but this should be the focus of your answer as the question specifically asks you to focus on an example.

I hope these tips are helpful and good luck with the application!
    Thank you so much

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.