TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Firms are not immune to typos, but they may mean posts rather than positions.

I would shift any roles that were volunteer or extra curriculars (eg societies/clubs at university or school) into this section rather than listing them in your work experience section. You should also include your general interests too.
    Okay, thank you so much. You have really helped :)

clo224455

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 2, 2023
    You don’t need your address or contact details. When they say sign off they just mean.

Yours sincerely/faithfully

And then your candidate number.
    Thank you so much Jessica!

They say to ensure that it is stricter as a formal business letter would I still need to include their address etc and mine at the top? I am wary that the word count is 300 words.
    @Jessica Booker

JLaw56

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hi, I have a stupid question about the K&L Gates application form. If the form asks "Outline details/responsibilities if required. (max. 200 words)” after the work experience section, is this about the experiences mentioned or can we add more.

Also, a cover letter is not compulsory?

Abbas J

Star Member
    Mar 30, 2023
    You need to speak to them to explain this. They might be able to offer a virtual AC (group exercises can be done virtually) or they may be able to provide a later AC date. But the only way you will find out is if you speak to the firm to discuss this.
    Yes, thanks for the advice.

I assume grad rec will not be working weekends. So I'm planning on emailing them on Monday.

It's frustrating because I will be in the flight the times they have the AC's going on - meaning I will not be able to join virtually.

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
    Jan 8, 2024
    Am I right in understanding that only those, who have attended an open day/insight event have only been invited to an AC. As there has been 2 batches of PFO and some of us have received that "holding email", is it fair to assume there is a decent shot we'll get an AC invite?
    nah some people there didn't do one i'm pretty sure -- I just guess the fact you haven't been rejected means you're still being considered though

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    I am a bit confused with Orrick's application questions. They are asking for a cover letter but also why commercial solicitor and why Orrick questions, how am I supposed to differentiate my responses for this?
    Hi there, you may find this advice from @James Carrabino helpful (https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-discussion-thread-2021-22-1.4199/post-113309). I also recall there were some discussions about the approach to Orrick's application questions on past forums, so it might be worthwhile to rummaging through that if you can't find anything here.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: axelbeugre

vacschemesgalore

Standard Member
    Jan 19, 2024
    Question about expedited results:
    Hey everyone, I have an AC day from Cleary Gottlieb coming up (that will be difficult for me to attend) and I also did my Slaughter and May Summer Work Experience interview early this week - they said they would get back to candidates 'by early march'. They also said that we could ask for an expedited response if we heard anything back (offers, important stages, etc.) from other firms. Slaughters is by far my first choice. I was wondering what the process actually is for an expedited response. Are they more likely to reject you if you say you have an offer or similar from another firm? Or will they be impressed and want to take you on more?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.