TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Jimz

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2020
hi everyone, would love some thoughts!
I actually had my first interview for a direct tc a while ago and every day im kind of picking it apart, the whole process and I dont know how to stop! ive become so paranoid where I feel like ive bombed it eventho I initially walked away feeling so-so, like a mixed bag ): its really irritating since we dont find out about it until like a week or so later and idk how to get out of my head for it,

would love some thoughts or if anybody has had an experience like that, id love to hear your view on it

thank you 🥹

- a v v anxious candidate
These feelings are completely understandable and I am sure that the majority of people on this forum can relate. Here are my thoughts as someone who has been applying for three years:
  1. Sometimes, you finish an interview and can't tell if it went well or not. At other times, your impression of how it went might not be accurate due to nerves and stress, regardless of your general self-awareness. Remember that sometimes how we perceive our performance might not align with how our interviewers did, especially if they are comparing us with the pool of candidates they interviewed that day or week. Not to mention people's personal biases, mood before and during the interview etc. So, you might feel that you've bombed it, but equally it might be that you've done amazingly well. Try not to rush to conclusions until you hear back from the firm.
  2. The point is that you can only control how you prepare ahead of an interview. You cannot control what you will be asked or what the outcome will be. While this is frustrating, coming to this realisation can also be therapeutic. What matters is that you can tell yourself that you did your absolute best given the circumstances.
  3. For this reason, it's important to try and compartmentalise. Stressing over something completely out of your control is a natural reaction, which is very difficult to ignore. However, there is no point in lingering on what was and what could have been, because nothing will change at this point. On the contrary, spiralling like that will only drain you and distract you from your day to day activities and other goals. Try to remind yourself that you did your best and that you cannot control what happens from here. If you fully accept this, you might be able to temporarily put intrusive thoughts to the side and focus on other things until you hear back from the firm.
  4. I genuinely hope you are successful, but if you are not, ask for feedback when you hear back from the firm. Take this feedback with a pinch of salt, but also try to genuinely understand it. It might be that something went completely wrong, or perhaps you did nothing wrong but the competition was so fierce that only the top 1% of applicants received an offer. Maybe you were very good, but some other candidates were exceptional. That's not to say that this is not disappointing, but at least you can tell yourself that you performed well and then work on what can be further improved.
  5. Familiarise yourself with the concept of rejection. It's only natural, you might be an exceptional candidate but not a cultural fit for the firm and unfortunately this is something we all have to accept.
  6. Even though it is exhausting, every interview is a learning experience. When you go to the next one you will be more prepared, both practically and mentally.
  7. Try to keep a long term perspective of your career goals to stay motivated. Remember, it's a cliché, yes, but you only need one 'yes'! It will come!

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    I’ve just finished Reed Smith’s assessment, and let me tell you, if being a solicitor means having that level of numerical reasoning, I might be in the wrong profession. I was so lost with those numerical questions. On the bright side, my verbal reasoning skills are top-notch, shining like a beacon of hope in my numerical darkness🤣🤣🤣

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2023
    I’ve just finished Reed Smith’s assessment, and let me tell you, if being a solicitor means having that level of numerical reasoning, I might be in the wrong profession. I was so lost with those numerical questions. On the bright side, my verbal reasoning skills are top-notch, shining like a beacon of hope in my numerical darkness🤣🤣🤣
    Lmao I do STEM and I've never got top marks for the Amberjack numerical reasoning 😩

Victor87

Distinguished Member
    Apr 19, 2023
    Hahaha glad to know I wasn't alone!

Flutterbyx303

Star Member
    Sep 11, 2023
    So was it a mix of SJT, verbal, numerical and VI?

Reactions: bella98 and Seven

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    Yes, for us analytically inclined, verbal reasoning on Planet Earth stands for hope.

• 🤝
    Reactions: MrHubertLouis and bella98

Hana (aaah I want a TC)

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 7, 2023
    Question for those who got to interact with Shoosmiths: how do they feel about people with an accent? It might be an odd question, but they are asking if English is your first language, and every video I have watched from them did not include anyone who sounds 'international'. I know that they are a national law firm, but still...

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.