TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Question about expedited results:
Hey everyone, I have an AC day from Cleary Gottlieb coming up (that will be difficult for me to attend) and I also did my Slaughter and May Summer Work Experience interview early this week - they said they would get back to candidates 'by early march'. They also said that we could ask for an expedited response if we heard anything back (offers, important stages, etc.) from other firms. Slaughters is by far my first choice. I was wondering what the process actually is for an expedited response. Are they more likely to reject you if you say you have an offer or similar from another firm? Or will they be impressed and want to take you on more?
They wont be impressed or upset, they will just matter of fact review it and give you an outcome earlier.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much Jessica!

They say to ensure that it is stricter as a formal business letter would I still need to include their address etc and mine at the top? I am wary that the word count is 300 words.
@Jessica Booker
If it is 300 words, they are not expecting you to include formalities like addresses, just an appropriate welcome and sign off structure.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, thanks for the advice.

I assume grad rec will not be working weekends. So I'm planning on emailing them on Monday.

It's frustrating because I will be in the flight the times they have the AC's going on - meaning I will not be able to join virtually.
I would try to call them first rather than email - you may get a quicker response. If you can’t speak to someone, then email.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am a bit confused with Orrick's application questions. They are asking for a cover letter but also why commercial solicitor and why Orrick questions, how am I supposed to differentiate my responses for this?
I wouldn’t repeat these questions in the cover letter. Just focus on why you.

Reactions: ayiiii05

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is there a thread on TCLA that outlines all the legal concepts/legal knowledge that non-law students should be aware of and fully understand?
No - we don’t have this. I wouldn’t expect a non law student to have this kind of knowledge though unless they have studied the GDL.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Question about expedited results:
Hey everyone, I have an AC day from Cleary Gottlieb coming up (that will be difficult for me to attend) and I also did my Slaughter and May Summer Work Experience interview early this week - they said they would get back to candidates 'by early march'. They also said that we could ask for an expedited response if we heard anything back (offers, important stages, etc.) from other firms. Slaughters is by far my first choice. I was wondering what the process actually is for an expedited response. Are they more likely to reject you if you say you have an offer or similar from another firm? Or will they be impressed and want to take you on more?
Neither - it is not going to change how they view your you as a candidate, it will just force them to make a decision earlier if they need to.

They will ask you to confirm your offer and ask you to explain which vacation schemes dates the other firm is running the scheme for. They are then likely to either say they can consider you for an alternative scheme date if there is no clash, or will just review their assessment feedback and make a decision if there is a clash.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    Hey guys! Not sure if we are discussing direct TC applications on here, but if anyone has done the Bristows VI, please could I have a quick chat about the format and just need some general tips for preparation! thank you so much <3
    Hi, I did the VI for the IP workshop back in 2022. Not sure if the format has changed since but it was one behavioural question and one motivation question back then.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    Hi, I did the VI for the IP workshop back in 2022. Not sure if the format has changed since but it was one behavioural question and one motivation question back then.
    Thank you! Yeah I did that one too but just wondered if it would be any different for the TC. I think I am going to prepare for the motivational and competency questions but don't want to be thrown off by questions that you would expect from a face-to-face interview.

Tamaranou

Dec 30, 2019
    It’s a 5 min assessments asking questions about your personality and what would you do in certain situations and how you view yourself. I got questions such as: when do you think feedback is important, when it is ”reassuring” or ”critical”. The questions are short and there arent more than 4 options.
    What is the Fieldfisher online assessment? Is it similar to the Arctic Shores test?

• 🏆
    Reactions: jplaw1010

mdoeslaw

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 9, 2023
    hi everyone, would love some thoughts!
    I actually had my first interview for a direct tc a while ago and every day im kind of picking it apart, the whole process and I dont know how to stop! ive become so paranoid where I feel like ive bombed it eventho I initially walked away feeling so-so, like a mixed bag ): its really irritating since we dont find out about it until like a week or so later and idk how to get out of my head for it,

would love some thoughts or if anybody has had an experience like that, id love to hear your view on it

thank you 🥹

- a v v anxious candidate

lawandtravels

Standard Member
    Dec 9, 2023
    I actually had my first interview for a direct tc a while ago and every day im kind of picking it apart, the whole process and I dont know how to stop! ive become so paranoid where I feel like ive bombed it eventho I initially walked away feeling so-so, like a mixed bag ): its really irritating since we dont find out about it until like a week or so later and idk how to get out of my head for it,

would love some thoughts or if anybody has had an experience like that, id love to hear your view on it

thank you 🥹

Heyy, I actually experience a similar thing with any interviews Ive had. If it helps, I do think this is somewhat common and loads of people end up overanalyzing every aspect on their interview. I'm not quite sure how to stop it,,,but for me, I like to write down some of the interview questions that I think went particularly bad or that keeps popping up in my head and writing out a new answer for it just in case it comes up in a later interview. I just feel like it puts the overthinking to a bit more use and sort of have the comfort of knowing that I have a better answer prepared for the future. I also think its often the case that the interview did not go as bad as you thought, your current memories are just more skewed toward the negative aspects of it and you might not remember all of the good answers you gave (bc your not worried ab it) When I was interviewing for university, there was sort of a trend where the interviewees who thought they didn't do too well often end up getting offers while the people who came away being super confident didn't (obv this does not apply to everything but it does show that your current feelings ab the interview likely doesn't represent how it went). Hope some of this helps :) Anxiety can be really difficult to handle

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023

thank you 🥹

This is very normal imo.

You should reflect on how it went and consider the points to make it better (no matter how well it went). I think also accepting how it went and you will get a TC when it happens so moving to a state of acceptance and that rejection is part of the journey will calm you down a bit. If you are getting to ACs, it’s a matter of time and luck too as much as preparation. Try to reduce the odds as much as possible and then accept you worked as hard as possible :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.