TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
Has anyone else not had any ac invites this cycle yet? I feel like I see so many peoples successes (congrats to them!) But the reality for some of us (especially non law final years) is that not everyone has an invite yet?

Idk I just guess I'm tired of feeling alone in this when I'm following every piece of advice online and still being rejected?
Hey, yes, I am a grad, but same here. An AC would probs give me a much needed boost right now. However, I have more firms I am waiting on than ones I've had PFOs from so I'm just trying not to focus on worrying too much (even though it's hard!). I'm also planning on doing a lot of direct TC apps as well. Remember, it only takes one yes! It does take time to work out which firm is right for you. Looking back at firms I've been rejected from before, I now realise that I probs wasn't a good fit for those firms.

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    From my experience, I think the short answer is no and I wouldn’t bother looking too deep into this tbh. Writing an application for a law firm vs law essays are completely different. The former requires concise, tailored, succinct writing style and the latter requires a more detailed, analytical, comprehensive writing style. If anything, law students struggle to change their writing style and therefore struggle with applications. If I knew you didn’t need a law degree to get into commercial law, I would’ve probably done economics or business (would’ve helped me better with commercial awareness) or even a STEM degree (very helpful in niche areas of commercial law, like IP, life sciences, energy, etc)
    Thank you so much for your response!

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Absolutely not, I have done that last year and they are pretty chill about it, it is common practice and many do that so I would not worry at all about this. It might be firm specific but it is usually common practice and many people switch for many different reasons so ask graduate recruitment and I am sure they will listen to your concerns.
    Hi Axel, can I ask what firms these were? I understand if you prefer to keep it confidential

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Has anyone else not had any ac invites this cycle yet? I feel like I see so many peoples successes (congrats to them!) But the reality for some of us (especially non law final years) is that not everyone has an invite yet?

Idk I just guess I'm tired of feeling alone in this when I'm following every piece of advice online and still being rejected?
    Hi!! This was me last year. I was also a non-law student with no AC's. All those rejections helped me progress further this year. I read through my applications carefully to see how to improve, gained more experience and I think that has helped loads this cycle. You're not alone!!! Don't lose hope :)

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I realise some people have received AC invites for Weil and some PFOs since taking the VI.

Is anyone else in the same position as me, having not received a PFO or an AC invite?

I did VI on 07/01.

Reactions: kcr

dinoorchestra

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    How does everyone overcome self-doubt post rejection, especially when you think you did a pretty good job?
    I understand that feeling! When that happened to me, I always reminded myself that at the end of the day a lot of the application process also comes down to chance/luck (who you are competing against, who reviews your application, how you were feeling, what questions you were given..) and whether the firm suits you (sometimes personalities might be a mismatch and you end up with a firm that is much better suited to you!). I hope that helps!

Reactions: eleven14og

Giorgos

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 5, 2023
    I would put everything that appears on your transcripts and records so there is not discrepancy between your documents and what you say. I had so many subjects to put too but I out everything because they appeared on my transcripts so I would always recommend following what your transcripts say.
    Thank you for your reply! In the applications I have already submitted I included 10/18 subjects because I was not sure what to include and because the firms do not have GCSE requirements. Do you think that is a big issue?

Reactions: axelbeugre

sibs23

Legendary Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    Hi!! This was me last year. I was also a non-law student with no AC's. All those rejections helped me progress further this year. I read through my applications carefully to see how to improve, gained more experience and I think that has helped loads this cycle. You're not alone!!! Don't lose hope :)
    Completely agree! I see all of my past rejections as a step closer towards the end goal. Each year, I've got further and further through the application process. It does take time!

Aoibhin98

Jan 25, 2024
    Hello! I have an OC virtual AC coming up but they haven't given much info on what it involves- from what I gather it consists of a research exercise followed by a presentation (which I assume is an individual activity and not a group one?) and then a watson glaser test all within 1 hour 45 mins? Does this sound right? Trying to figure out how to prepare!

Reactions: searchingforaTC

LegallyBrunette_

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 11, 2023
    Lol I am! I have no hopes at this point tbh.
    Can’t believe that Freshfields closed a month later than HSF and managed to finish ACs and give offers out 😂
    From what I've seen on this forum in previous years people were being invited to ACs for HSF as late as February for the Summer Vac Scheme so maybe there's still hope for us yet. We'll just have to wait and see I guess! 🤞

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.