Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do you think it will look bad if you ask a firm to switch from spring VS to a summer, because of clashing scheme dates?
Not if you ask whether it’s possible to rather than framing that you need it moved.

Clashing schemes is a very regular occurrence and the firm will have a way they deal with such requests. The worst outcome is they say no and you have to work out whether to decline their offer or the other firm’s. Be mindful that they may ask you whether the other firm can move you instead too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I left uni eight years ago, so I just put NA for academic references. My uni personal tutor has moved on from academia. If they really want one then it can be sorted at a later date.
For future, just put the main contact/admin office (just a general email or telephone number will be sufficient) of the faculty.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker for Pre-IB do I need to include all of my subjects? there are about 18 subjects and Pre IB was pretty informal with no formal exams and most of the subjects I took for a semester.
I would put everything that appears on your transcripts and records so there is not discrepancy between your documents and what you say. I had so many subjects to put too but I out everything because they appeared on my transcripts so I would always recommend following what your transcripts say.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker please can I ask if you have any tips for an interview with Shearman & Sterling for their vacation scheme?
Hey @lawtrainee,

Congratulations on obtaining an interview with the firm, you should be very proud of yourself!

I shared some tips in previous posts which I think can be very helpful to you too, link here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....s-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-164067; https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-156677

I would add to really work on your commercial awareness too for Shearman given the strong finance and transactional feature of the firm. I would also do a lot of research on the merger as you might be asked about that and you want to be ready for these kind of questions.

Good luck and congratulations again!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Do you think it will look bad if you ask a firm to switch from spring VS to a summer, because of clashing scheme dates?
Absolutely not, I have done that last year and they are pretty chill about it, it is common practice and many do that so I would not worry at all about this. It might be firm specific but it is usually common practice and many people switch for many different reasons so ask graduate recruitment and I am sure they will listen to your concerns.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    From their Chambers UK entry for mining:

"Baker McKenzie advised ZCCM Investment Holdings on the proposed replacement of its ordinary shareholding interest in Kansanshi Mining, the owner and operator of the Kansanshi copper mine and smelter in Zambia, with a mineral royalty."
    Thanks for this!

Yes, I had seen this. But, they advised the financiers as opposed to the mining group. I wanted a client like BHP, Anglo American, Rio Tinto or Vale for example.

No worries, looks like I'll have to find something else to write about.

Lilil

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2023
    Thanks for this!

Yes, I had seen this. But, they advised the financiers as opposed to the mining group. I wanted a client like BHP, Anglo American, Rio Tinto or Vale for example.

No worries, looks like I'll have to find something else to write about.

My BM vac scheme app got through to the next stage, and I talked about a case involving Apple. Apple are one of BM's clients, but in the case I was talking about (litigation), they were not being represented by BM.

Harold Gunderson

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 2, 2023
    For anybody that has passed the app stage for Bakers this year, did you explicitly name one of their clients in the client question, or did you mention PE houses for example? As I am losing the will to live trying to find a mining client of the firm that uses the London projects team for work, even though I know there are some according to their website, they are just not named.
    If you're still looking, go onto their website and select people. Then filter location (to London if applying to that office) and expertise (industry or practice area) and go through a few partners. It lists their experiences and the firms they have advised.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    My BM vac scheme app got through to the next stage, and I talked about a case involving Apple. Apple are one of BM's clients, but in the case I was talking about (litigation), they were not being represented by BM.
    Ah nice, thanks! This is the reassurance I needed, I can talk about a mining group they have as an antitrust client then :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.