TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Hey I'm just completing my application for Hill Dickinson now, and they have two questions:
1. Why are you applying to Hill Dickinson for a training contract?
2. We offer sector-specific training contracts in each of our business services, health and marine groups. Why are you interested in a sector-specific training contract and why have you chosen this sector? i.e. business services, health or marine.

How have people tackled the first question? Obviously I can't really talk about specific sectors/ areas of law which they do well in, as that's the focus of the second question, so have focused more on the culture side of the firm, but I'm scared it's coming across as superficial. Any advice?
I would say go for more generic stuff about the firm like you said - so maybe Training contract structure (in terms of size, secondment opportunities, etc as opposed to practice area + seat options), Culture of the firm in terms of things like ESG, D&I, Pro bono etc. I so get you about it feeling superficial as I have occasionally had this problem when firm's ask questions that feel repetitive - I would focus on coming up with quite a concrete structure to help with this as I find this helps me sometimes :) And then yeah second question I agree talk about the work in that sector, deals, rankings, etc. and maybe why a sector-focused approach would benefit you in your training? Sector-focused approach could also be discussed for first part if you've used up all words in second question

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2023
I would say go for more generic stuff about the firm like you said - so maybe Training contract structure (in terms of size, secondment opportunities, etc as opposed to practice area + seat options), Culture of the firm in terms of things like ESG, D&I, Pro bono etc. I so get you about it feeling superficial as I have occasionally had this problem when firm's ask questions that feel repetitive - I would focus on coming up with quite a concrete structure to help with this as I find this helps me sometimes :) And then yeah second question I agree talk about the work in that sector, deals, rankings, etc. and maybe why a sector-focused approach would benefit you in your training? Sector-focused approach could also be discussed for first part if you've used up all words in second question
Thank you so much that's so helpful!

• 🤝
Reactions: Petallove1

Erspencer

Aug 4, 2023
Mishcon VI invite!!! This is the first time I’ve ever got past post app stage for any firm. Would be so grateful for any VI advice? Also anyone know how long they will take to get back after submitting the VI? Thanks in advance!
Hiya, I can’t give you Mischon specific but I can give you some advice for VI (I did one for Eversheds and got the VS).

1. Practice recording and speaking into a camera, it came feel so weird but it helps to practice speaking to the camera.

2. Have a table with the firms values and different examples that you could use which reflect these values

3. Be direct, if the Q says tell us about you did x, y and z. Say I was able to do xyz by doing this and then end the question by saying that’s how I did that

Good luck!!

Cynthia14

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    @axelbeugre Hi! I appreciate some tips about the question "Choose one of our clients and explain a challenge they are currently facing. What could the organisation do to overcome this challenge and how could we assist? " Do I need to choose a specific company to response this question? Thanks!

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.