Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Dog What GIF by MOODMAN

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2023
    all i know is i’m never applying to slaughter & may again 😅 they’re the one firm i have a personal agenda against as a working class student
    It is a bit ironic as they were one of the first law firms to partner with the 93 percent Club, so not sure on their working class people selection. BUT one of the firms which puts a lot of stress on getting a first at degree level, over other factors- nearly everyone on linked with this trait imo

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    It is a bit ironic as they were one of the first law firms to partner with the 93 percent Club, so not sure on their working class people selection. BUT one of the firms which puts a lot of stress on getting a first at degree level, over other factors- nearly everyone on linked with this trait imo
    Comprehensive school and didnt get a first, got to final stage with Slaughters.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    Also, has anyone heard back from Stephenson Harwood? They aren't responding to my emails and I tried getting in touch with someone from the Future Talents team but apparently they have left the team!

@Jessica Booker I couldn't find the contact details for their recruitment team in Dubai office (stalked their website and LinkedIn). Do you suppose the UK team recruits for the office?

CHLTC

Nov 28, 2023
    just got rejected from Macfarlanes post AC, yet to recieve feedback from them. I think my negotiations, interview and casestudy went really well. However, the written exercise was torture i dont think i sufficiently answered the question. Keeping my head up, it was my first AC. Hopefully more to come im still awaiting responses from a few firms post application and and post vi. Fingers crossed!
    What was the day like? What sort of stuff were you asked ? What did they ask you about for the case study and written exercise ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Also, has anyone heard back from Stephenson Harwood? They aren't responding to my emails and I tried getting in touch with someone from the Future Talents team but apparently they have left the team!

@Jessica Booker I couldn't find the contact details for their recruitment team in Dubai office (stalked their website and LinkedIn). Do you suppose the UK team recruits for the office?
    It’s a possibility - you could contact the London office to see if they could help. Another thing to try is calling their switchboard (general firm number on their website) to see if they can direct you to the best person to speak to.

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    It’s a possibility - you could contact the London office to see if they could help. Another thing to try is calling their switchboard (general firm number on their website) to see if they can direct you to the best person to speak to.
    Thank you! I did call the switchboard and also the number listed on their website for Future Talents Team but it didn't go through. Sent them a message on Instagram as well. I will try again on Monday! :)

ljms

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 2, 2024
    Do any other neurodivergents here struggle with some of the tests these firms require?

I am never going to be able to perform well when given a picture of a face and asked what mood that person is in.

Mayer Brown’s communication styles part of the test, where you were given three paragraphs of text and five responses and asked to link the responses to the paragraph that most matches its communication style, was also a struggle—they were all the bloody same.

I can’t help but feel these tests just set me up for failure. I write strong applications but I’m always rejected after these stupid tests.

Edit: Browne Jacobson agrees - https://www.brownejacobson.com/about/news-media/thinking-outside-the-box

Bread

Jan 30, 2024
    People seem to forget that Oxbridge is difficult and very intense — people achieving top marks there are likely to be hard-working, intelligent, or both. As far as work experience is concerned, due to the intensity of the courses there students are heavily discouraged from seeking paid work during term time (it’s a uni policy), so it’s unsurprising that Oxbridge candidates have less on their CV.
    This is not to say that other unis aren’t as good and that people haven’t worked hard to get where they are, just that in the eyes of an employer Oxbridge provides some form of guarantee. Also, lots of partners likely went to Oxbridge, and alumni networks are helpful in this world. But all candidates have to go through the same process, and unis are just a small part of it!
    Keep going at it and don’t worry too much about Oxbridge applicants, plenty of people from other unis make it through!

ljms

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 2, 2024
    People seem to forget that Oxbridge is difficult and very intense — people achieving top marks there are likely to be hard-working, intelligent, or both. As far as work experience is concerned, due to the intensity of the courses there students are heavily discouraged from seeking paid work during term time (it’s a uni policy), so it’s unsurprising that Oxbridge candidates have less on their CV.
    This is not to say that other unis aren’t as good and that people haven’t worked hard to get where they are, just that in the eyes of an employer Oxbridge provides some form of guarantee. Also, lots of partners likely went to Oxbridge, and alumni networks are helpful in this world. But all candidates have to go through the same process, and unis are just a small part of it!
    Keep going at it and don’t worry too much about Oxbridge applicants, plenty of people from other unis make it through!
    It’s easy to achieve top marks when you attend private school and are groomed for academic excellence from a young age. Oxbridge students overwhelmingly come from this background.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do any other neurodivergents here struggle with some of the tests these firms require?

I am never going to be able to perform well when given a picture of a face and asked what mood that person is in.

Mayer Brown’s communication styles part of the test, where you were given three paragraphs of text and five responses and asked to link the responses to the paragraph that most matches its communication style, was also a struggle—they were all the bloody same.

I can’t help but feel these tests just set me up for failure. I write strong applications but I’m always rejected after these stupid tests.

Edit: Browne Jacobson agrees - https://www.brownejacobson.com/about/news-media/thinking-outside-the-box
    You should request a reasonable adjustment. If this is relevant to your circumstances, I would expect that someone with forms of autism would be exempt from “recognise the emotion” type assessments.

It is slightly different with the verbal comprehension assessment, but it’s likely you would get additional time to consider this.

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    I really don't think the argument that people who go to Oxbridge work harder than others because Oxbridge is difficult and intense is a fair one. People are plenty hard working and intelligent wherever they go. It's not justifiable to say (or imply) that Oxbridge people are more intelligent than anyone who doesn't go there.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It’s easy to achieve top marks when you attend private school and are groomed for academic excellence from a young age. Oxbridge students overwhelmingly come from this background.
    Not overwhelmingly, but it is a disproportionate amount.

Only about 28-30% of UK Oxbridge students have been privately educated, but this is over four times the national average.

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
    Jan 8, 2024
    While I agree with your point about the moral and cultural imperative for greater diversity, the facts are different from my point of view.

For me personally, diversity is not just about white, black, Asian etc.

Why does a white eton educated Oxbridge graduate have more chances of getting a tc in comparison to a white working class non Oxbridge graduate?

Why does a black eton educated Oxbridge graduate have more chances of getting a tc in comparison to a black working class non Oxbridge graduate?

Yes, I agree about the institutional dominance. But I think saying that BAME, working class, and disabled candidates are at large at ACs it’s a stretch. Maybe that’s your experience, but mine has been different.

I have nothing against Oxbridge, but I despise elitism. A candidate should be evaluated taking every factor into account. From my point of view, a non Oxbridge working class person (whether ethnic minority or not) working part time during university and not being spoon fed cause of rich parents has more potential.

Moreover, how does a 19 years olds candidate from Oxbridge with nothing on his CV show a passion for a career in law? Firms are always crying about “passion for commercial law”, then how someone with no tangible passion for law in the CV showed up at the AC at a particular us law firm?
    I feel like it’s already been said here and I agree that class is important to look at but the amount of money you have still doesn’t change the colour of your skin at the end of the day — people can’t tell your background just by looking at you so being eton educated and going to Oxbridge doesn’t stop you from being racially discriminated in the same way a non-Oxbridge eton-educated person would if that makes sense

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Oxbridge doesn’t provide any guarantees.

Oxbridge applicants were typically the highest rejected groups in terms of numbers, whilst also being the highest number of trainees I hired at a MC firm.

AnonKn635

Star Member
    Dec 15, 2023
    This isnt true unfortunately (I am BAME and went to a state school). Almost all of us struggle in some way at Oxbridge, it is just about how much you show it lol. Achieving top marks at Oxbridge is undoubtedly difficult regardless of your background

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.