TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

CHLTC

Nov 28, 2023
Hey guys,

Come here for abit of reassuring and support. Just had a VI which I wasn’t happy with.

What do you do when it’s a question you haven’t prepared for? Something you just simply did not see coming.

I refuse to accept someone can have every possible question ready. It just simply isn’t possible. It’s great when there’s a question you prepared for , or at least something you can weave a slightly different question into.

What are your go to moves when you’re faced with a question you just haven’t heard before? Something you just can’t find an example for in the 10 seconds or so you have to prepare.

It’s all well and good to say a few points, but 1-2 mins for an answer is a long long time. You can’t simply submit a quick 30 second answer.

Any ideas

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Hey guys,

Come here for abit of reassuring and support. Just had a VI which I wasn’t happy with.

What do you do when it’s a question you haven’t prepared for? Something you just simply did not see coming.

I refuse to accept someone can have every possible question ready. It just simply isn’t possible. It’s great when there’s a question you prepared for , or at least something you can weave a slightly different question into.

What are your go to moves when you’re faced with a question you just haven’t heard before? Something you just can’t find an example for in the 10 seconds or so you have to prepare.

It’s all well and good to say a few points, but 1-2 mins for an answer is a long long time. You can’t simply submit a quick 30 second answer.

Any ideas
Hey!! My approach when I’m really at a loss is just pick and example I’ve already prepared for a different sort of question and make it as relevant as I possibly can by using signposting. For example, if for some reason I didn’t prepare an answer for problem solving and had never come across that q before but had one where I’ve shown team work, I would mould the team work example into problem solving. Obviously different when it’s a bit more specific like firm strategy, but even choosing the most random example for competency - at least you have something to say and don’t find yourself just staring blankly. I find that just maximises your chances even if you’re not happy with your answer. Not always ideal and the example doesn’t always fit - but at least it’s something! Could always throw in “I’ve never been in that situation before, but a similar experience I’ve been is is…” to make it seem a bit more fluid and less trying to pull something out of the bag. Ultimately you’re right - can’t prepare for everything and some things surprise you, so the best you can do sometimes it’s trying to adapt something you’ve already prepared if you feel very deer in the headlights (which I do often with VIs!!)

CHLTC

Nov 28, 2023
Hey!! My approach when I’m really at a loss is just pick and example I’ve already prepared for a different sort of question and make it as relevant as I possibly can by using signposting. For example, if for some reason I didn’t prepare an answer for problem solving and had never come across that q before but had one where I’ve shown team work, I would mould the team work example into problem solving. Obviously different when it’s a bit more specific like firm strategy, but even choosing the most random example for competency - at least you have something to say and don’t find yourself just staring blankly. I find that just maximises your chances even if you’re not happy with your answer. Not always ideal and the example doesn’t always fit - but at least it’s something! Could always throw in “I’ve never been in that situation before, but a similar experience I’ve been is is…” to make it seem a bit more fluid and less trying to pull something out of the bag. Ultimately you’re right - can’t prepare for everything and some things surprise you, so the best you can do sometimes it’s trying to adapt something you’ve already prepared if you feel very deer in the headlights (which I do often with VIs!!)
Great advice thank you - I appreciate it.

VIs can just be so unnatural because you can’t have a ‘dance’ with the interviewer. You can’t go back and forth. You’re stuck with this question and you have this awkward conversation with yourself where you have to veer the conversation… urgh I’m exhausted

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Great advice thank you - I appreciate it.

VIs can just be so unnatural because you can’t have a ‘dance’ with the interviewer. You can’t go back and forth. You’re stuck with this question and you have this awkward conversation with yourself where you have to veer the conversation… urgh I’m exhausted
I feel the same! I like that in an interview you have a little bit more control - so can clarify the question when needed and know exactly what they want. I think VIs you just have to try and do the best in the circumstances, and if that means choosing something less relevant and making it work to have something to say then it’s worth the compromise to maximise your chances when you really can’t think of something :)

yxnglxw

Standard Member
Feb 25, 2023
Hey congratulations!! Yeah I was a bit confused too but I think it’s definitely an AC rather than being assessed on the VS. Where will you be based?
Birmingham! It's a shame we have to do another AC. What is the point in having 2 ACs :( It was already stressful enough to go though the first and earn a place on the VI. I wish we could just do a partner interview instead Sigh.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.