TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

saj2002

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 7, 2023
    What do firms look for when they ask: "If you couldn't work in law, what do you think you would do and why?"

Should this align with the firm at all or can it be my honest answer

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    @Jessica Booker

Hi Jessica. I filled in the VS scheme form for CRS and put my first preference for the spring scheme. I left the second preference blank. However, my circumstances have since changed. I haven't heard back from the firm yet, but is it worth getting in touch to request for me to be considered for summer placement instead? Or is it better to wait until I get an acceptance before request to change the dates? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

Hi Jessica. I filled in the VS scheme form for CRS and put my first preference for the spring scheme. I left the second preference blank. However, my circumstances have since changed. I haven't heard back from the firm yet, but is it worth getting in touch to request for me to be considered for summer placement instead? Or is it better to wait until I get an acceptance before request to change the dates? Thank you!
    I would just send a brief email asking if your application can move to the summer. I think when you are waiting to hear back and you definitely can't do the scheme you originally asked for, it is better to follow up earlier rather than waiting.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    I would just send a brief email asking if your application can move to the summer. I think when you are waiting to hear back and you definitely can't do the scheme you originally asked for, it is better to follow up earlier rather than waiting.
    Amazing, will send the email first thing tomorrow morning. Do I need to provide a strong/ good enough reason as to why I am requesting it to be moved to summer? Also, do you know if this will have any effect on my chances of securing a spot? Thank you :)

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Would you say it's likely a straight up PFO in a VI if I started to read off the screen? I was pretty confident with what I was saying but then started to look away from the camera/read off the screen, which I think won't play in my favour.

It was only really for 1 of the 3 questions, but I know it isn't a great look :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Amazing, will send the email first thing tomorrow morning. Do I need to provide a strong/ good enough reason as to why I am requesting it to be moved to summer? Also, do you know if this will have any effect on my chances of securing a spot? Thank you :)
    No - you can just say you now have commitments for Spring - if you want to disclose more than that, then you can.

It may impact your chances of securing a spot, but there isn't much you can do about this - you can only be considered for summer given your circumstances.

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    No - you can just say you now have commitments for Spring - if you want to disclose more than that, then you can.

It may impact your chances of securing a spot, but there isn't much you can do about this - you can only be considered for summer given your circumstances.
    If I could put aside my personal circumstances and wanted to maximize my chances of securing a spot, would you recommend I stick with spring dates?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I could put aside my personal circumstances and wanted to maximize my chances of securing a spot, would you recommend I stick with spring dates?
    If you have commitments and the summer scheme works better for you, then you should state this to the firm.

However, if it’s just that you may be busy over the spring period, then just wait for the firm to come back to you and if you are shortlisted then speak to them about the opportunity to move as your circumstances are firmed up.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Miss Chocolate

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.