TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
Anything from Pinsent Masons (10kbi), Travers Smith or Hogan Lovells?
Hey, I think they'll get back to you mid march. Depending on how far you have progressed with their application. What stage are you up to? I say this because I'm still at the Mills Reeve Online test stage for the 10kBi cohort. They said I should receive a reply by then because of "internal checks".

Reactions: Njaliwe Ungwe

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Hi all - I know this is an annoying problem to have but I currently have offers on contravening dates in July and unsure what firm to pick? Unsure if I can say firm names on here but would love to welcome any opinions or advice @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker and anyone on the forum! (also yes I have asked both if I could do the Spring dates and both have said no)
There's no problem in saying the firm names on here if you have offers :)

I think it's very difficult for anyone else to answer as it's such a personal question. I suppose it comes down to which firm more closely aligns with you and your career goals - their practice area strengths, international aspects, approach to training, or any other factors which are of personal importance. If you've done ACs in person, did you get a better feel for one firm or the other?

I guess there is the approach of trying to go with the one you think it'll be "easier" to convert into a TC but, again, there are no guarantees involved in the process.

It's extremely cliché, but I would just follow your gut; whichever firm you have a better feel for or you're more excited about, I'd go with that one. You're in a very enviable position though so congratulations!

Njaliwe Ungwe

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 15, 2020
Hey, I think they'll get back to you mid march. Depending on how far you have progressed with their application. What stage are you up to? I say this because I'm still at the Mills Reeve Online test stage for the 10kBi cohort. They said I should receive a reply by then because of "internal checks".
Hi, thanks, that’s helpful to know. I’ve done the online test and now I’m just waiting to hear whether I’ve been invited to an AC

Reactions: tc252627

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    Still haven't heard back from Milbank post AC so assuming PFO as people were given offers at the end of the week before last. Really do want that feedback though so is it reasonable to send them a brief email? My AC was on the 22nd of January and they said we'd get feedback in a 'couple of weeks'.

Reactions: NMA

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all - I know this is an annoying problem to have but I currently have offers on contravening dates in July and unsure what firm to pick? Unsure if I can say firm names on here but would love to welcome any opinions or advice @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker and anyone on the forum! (also yes I have asked both if I could do the Spring dates and both have said no)
    Go with the firm you most want to work for. People will say you need to consider the chances of converting to a TC too, and that is something to consider in cases where it’s difficult for you to distinguish a preference between the two.

A vacation scheme is an open door to be considered carefully for a TC, and turning a firm down that you have a clear preference for is the easiest way of closing that door.

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.