TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
Nov 18, 2023
Hey guys,

Come here for abit of reassuring and support. Just had a VI which I wasn’t happy with.

What do you do when it’s a question you haven’t prepared for? Something you just simply did not see coming.

I refuse to accept someone can have every possible question ready. It just simply isn’t possible. It’s great when there’s a question you prepared for , or at least something you can weave a slightly different question into.

What are your go to moves when you’re faced with a question you just haven’t heard before? Something you just can’t find an example for in the 10 seconds or so you have to prepare.

It’s all well and good to say a few points, but 1-2 mins for an answer is a long long time. You can’t simply submit a quick 30 second answer.

Any ideas
Bro definitely just did the bakers VI 😂

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker, if you know that you’ve been offered a place at a firm because they rang you but they haven’t sent the offer letter in over 2 weeks - should I send a follow-up email/ring them? I have received another offer since and there is a small chance that the placements could clash if I don’t get my preferred choice of dates.

Thank you so much!!
Yes, you can follow up even if it’s just to get confirmation of the scheme dates.

Reactions: Lawyer500

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Will you get blacklisted by a firm for turning down a VS citing a clash with another VS? @Jessica Booker
Not “blacklisted” but the firm is going to know that they aren’t your first choice, so isn’t necessarily going to go out of their way to accommodate you. If they allow you to reapply (consider that some firms don’t allow you to reapply in the same recruitment cycle), then they are just likely to treat you like any other candidate - there are no guarantees of any preferential treatment just because you were given an offer.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    A TC offer for the dark knight

In the heart of Gotham,
    under the cloak of night,

Batman waits, with his future not yet in sight.
    "Will I be chosen, for a TC so grand,
    Or will I roam, as night's shadow in this land?"

Roses are red,
    Gotham's sky so blue,
    Even Batman is anxious,
    oh what will the law firms do?

The Bat-Signal's quiet,
    the Joker's at bay,
    But it's the outcome of assessment centres
    that worry him today.

Six years of trying
    Six years of broken hearts
    With each ticking moment he feels more distraught,
    And on his Batphone he glares...

...then FINALLY in the cave,
    with his suit on so tight,
    a call from a number gives him a fright

Who knew Batman could feel such a plight?
    "You're the hero we deserve"
    So here's to the Dark Knight,
    on this day of the heart,

May his future be bright,
    with a brand new start.

And to TCLA a good knight.

Happy to help anyone!!!

lego batman GIF

Last edited:

Futuretrainee!1!1

Oct 21, 2023
    Go with the firm you most want to work for. People will say you need to consider the chances of converting to a TC too, and that is something to consider in cases where it’s difficult for you to distinguish a preference between the two.

A vacation scheme is an open door to be considered carefully for a TC, and turning a firm down that you have a clear preference for is the easiest way of closing that door.
    They are with HSF and Cleary and I am really struggling to choose because I really enjoyed both ACs and am really interested in the work they do. I guess the sensible thing to do is to accept HSF given their conversion rate but it feels horrible to turn down a firm I really like especially if it means they would never hire me in the future.

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    They are with HSF and Cleary and I am really struggling to choose because I really enjoyed both ACs and am really interested in the work they do. I guess the sensible thing to do is to accept HSF given their conversion rate but it feels horrible to turn down a firm I really like especially if it means they would never hire me in the future.
    you can move laterally don't worry. they won't turn down a potentially excellent associate/partner because you rejected the firm for a vs several years ago

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.