TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Pinsent PFO post AC

Now i would like to say I'm surprised based off of my performance from the in tray exercise but i have just read my feedback (which was delivered on amberjack not via a human) and i actually am surprised. I met every single one of their capabilities they were looking for "natural talent, strong potential" and only got "showed some strengths" for attention to detail.

Maybe i'm delusional but i do think that is a little unfair and annoying to give feedback via a generic amberjack assessment report. I took the day off of work, travelled into central London to not get feedback from a human. i understand there are others so they can't get through everyone but even scheduling a call in the future regarding feedback or making it tailored via amberjack. I dunno.

I am not going to dwell as i knew my in tray did mess me up but maybe not that much? The firm not having my adjustments set in stone from the beginning did play a part but at least fieldfisher can give a telephone feedback after a TI.

The beginning of my cycle downfall starts here 😭

whywhy88

Jul 6, 2023
    Anyone who has been rejected from HL post AC - have you received your feedback report yet? If so how long did it take them to send it? I’ve emailed grad rec as the rejection email told me to to get the feedback, I’m just trying to gauge how long it may take them to get back to me

Zaakir

Valued Member
    May 9, 2023
    @axelbeugre just had my Goodwin interview, and the interview ended in 20- 25 minutes (bear in mind, we were allocated 45) with the interviewers agreeing with all my points and, even in the case study, one of them said I knew more about the topic than they did! I spent the remaining time just asking them questions. I’m unsure as to whether I should take this as a good sign or a bad one (in that they knew they weren’t going to offer me a place and wanted the interview over and done with). What do you think?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Zaakir

Valued Member
    May 9, 2023
    mine went over by 25 mins but that's because they kept questioning me - so potentially a bad sign - I didn't give them the answer they wanted. A short interview can be a good sign, they were probably just busy and if they agreed with you, you were probably fine
    What were they questioning you about, and what was the answer you gave that they didn’t want?

Marissa

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 25, 2020
    Anyone who has been rejected from HL post AC - have you received your feedback report yet? If so how long did it take them to send it? I’ve emailed grad rec as the rejection email told me to to get the feedback, I’m just trying to gauge how long it may take them to get back to me
    Mine took 2 months and the feedback from grad rec was only 1 line..

BolderBlackPrincess

Dec 16, 2023
    @axelbeugre just had my Goodwin interview, and the interview ended in 20- 25 minutes (bear in mind, we were allocated 45) with the interviewers agreeing with all my points and, even in the case study, one of them said I knew more about the topic than they did! I spent the remaining time just asking them questions. I’m unsure as to whether I should take this as a good sign or a bad one (in that they knew they weren’t going to offer me a place and wanted the interview over and done with). What do you think?
    'I was able to answer all my interviewer's questions and they said I clearly had a great understanding of the subject - is this a bad sign?'

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Birmingham! It's a shame we have to do another AC. What is the point in having 2 ACs :( It was already stressful enough to go though the first and earn a place on the VI. I wish we could just do a partner interview instead Sigh.
    Honestly I’m hoping they change their minds or something 😭 I think our AC is only with their vac scheme students so it might be slightly different. Do you think it’s worth asking grad rec?

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Pinsent PFO post AC

Now i would like to say I'm surprised based off of my performance from the in tray exercise but i have just read my feedback (which was delivered on amberjack not via a human) and i actually am surprised. I met every single one of their capabilities they were looking for "natural talent, strong potential" and only got "showed some strengths" for attention to detail.

Maybe i'm delusional but i do think that is a little unfair and annoying to give feedback via a generic amberjack assessment report. I took the day off of work, travelled into central London to not get feedback from a human. i understand there are others so they can't get through everyone but even scheduling a call in the future regarding feedback or making it tailored via amberjack. I dunno.

I am not going to dwell as i knew my in tray did mess me up but maybe not that much? The firm not having my adjustments set in stone from the beginning did play a part but at least fieldfisher can give a telephone feedback after a TI.

The beginning of my cycle downfall starts here 😭
    Honestly, I completely agree with you and think that’s really poor from them.

When you’ve put in hours of research from the application stage to video interview prep to AC prep, let alone with the time/costs involved of travelling to London, I think giving you computerised Amberjack feedback is terrible. They’ve met you in person for a good few hours and have come to an informed decision, so you wouldn’t think it would be a great burden to give some genuine, helpful feedback.

Sorry about that, I think that’s really disappointing from PM.

Reactions: Ash2323 and MR218

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.