TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Amy Lucy

Star Member
Dec 26, 2023
I have not heard back anything from Addleshaw Goddard after the WG style test. I have also not heard anything from HFW post-application. Anyone else in the same boat? I have emailed both firms to ask about updates, but both said they are still reviewing applications. But a lot of people seem to have already got Vac Scheme places.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Nine

Standard Member
Feb 15, 2024
I have not heard back anything from Addleshaw Goddard after the WG style test. I have also not heard anything from HFW post-application. Anyone else in the same boat? I have emailed both firms to ask about updates, but both said they are still reviewing applications. But a lot of people seem to have already got Vac Scheme places.

Which office is this for if you don’t mind me asking?

+ Has anyone heard back from AG Leeds?

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023

I also emailed HFW but never got a reply. I guess all we can do is just wait tbh

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018

I am in the same boat, Addleshaw is driving me nuts and I am very close to emailing them to drop from the race. I completed their test more than a month ago and the wait is messing with my mental health.

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
I am in the same boat, Addleshaw is driving me nuts and I am very close to emailing them to drop from the race. I completed their test more than a month ago and the wait is messing with my mental health.
Definitely, it’s so odd to keep people in a limbo for weeks if you know they will be rejected anyways.

Amy Lucy

Star Member
Dec 26, 2023
Thanks for sharing your position with me. I am glad to hear I am not the only one. It's also draining me - some firms got back to me so quickly, whether it was rejection or moving me onto the next stage and I appreciated it so much. The waiting is making me so anxious! But i would not email them that if I were you - for all you know you might get a Yes tomorrow :)

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Thanks for sharing your position with me. I am glad to hear I am not the only one. It's also draining me - some firms got back to me so quickly, whether it was rejection or moving me onto the next stage and I appreciated it so much. The waiting is making me so anxious! But i would not email them that if I were you - for all you know you might get a Yes tomorrow :)
Honestly? I do not care that much because the way they are handling the process is also a sign of bad pastoral care, which I very much value.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker If you know you can’t do the summer vacation scheme that you applied for at a firm and you are waiting to hear back from the video interview - would it be worth emailing to see if you can be considered for their Spring scheme instead? Should I wait to see if I actually pass the VI stage or is it better to do it sooner rather than later? Any advice on this would be really appreciated. Thank you!!
Given how soon a Spring scheme would be, I would contact them now rather than waiting until your video interview outcome.

Reactions: Lawyer500

LawAspirer

Standard Member
Feb 19, 2024
Anyone that heard from Goodwin? I applied in December for the vacation scheme and I've seen some people on here get their rejection or interviews on 24th of January. Is this usual or am I just worrying for no reason and I should just keep waiting ?

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
Does anyone have experience, maybe from speaking with grad rec or through their own applications, that gives them some reassurance that grad rec do actually consider mitigating circumstances *in a meaningful way*?

I spend so much time and emotional energy rehashing my mitigating circumstances in each app and sometimes I feel firms couldn’t care less or worse, they think I am making excuses. I get a lot of rejections post-app and I just feel slightly frustrated at times because I have worked really hard to get where I am, and I feel a bit demoralised if everything I worked for is undone because of unavoidable things outside my control.

So would just be good to hear from others that have had their uni grades affected by mitigating circumstances - and specifically, if anyone knows how exactly law firms consider them? And if there are firms people would recommend I apply to that are a bit better in dealing with mitigating circumstances? Perhaps any that are a bit more holistic in their approach. Or conversely, any firms they’d recommend I’d stay away from in the future?

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    What does the holding email actually say? I haven’t had one post VI but not actually sure what I’m missing out on🤣
    Sure!

“I hope this email finds you well.

Thank you again for your application for the 2024 Summer Vacation Scheme with Mishcon de Reya.

We are currently in the process of reviewing all applications. This process is thorough and takes time as we are committed to giving every application the attention it deserves. We understand that waiting for a response can be nerve-wracking and we appreciated your patience during this time.

We are working diligently to review all applications and we aim to have this process completed by the end of February 2024. Once we have made our decisions, we will be in touch with you to inform you of the outcome and, if successful, provide details of the next stage of the process.

In the meantime, if you have any questions or require further information, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us. We are here to assist you.

Thank you once again for your application and your interest in Mishcon de Reya. We look forward to being in touch soon.”

• 🤝
    Reactions: marrr and Sharon Wu

tcplease2345

Valued Member
    Feb 6, 2024

I never even heard from AG post app

• Sad
    • 🤝
    Reactions: lolololol and Sharon Wu

WindowsUpdate

• Sep 28, 2022
    @Jessica Booker I was hoping you or someone that knows about this could help out. I've been offered 2 VS with large firms, but they're both at the same time. I've already signed my contract with Firm 1 (their offer came 1 month before Firm 2) and they only do one VS a year. Firm 2 is an access scheme rather than a VS although it's the same experience and TC offer at the end. What should I do in this instance as I don't want to miss out on one? (can't believe I got any at all!). I was thinking of asking Firm 2 to maybe move me onto one of their VS dates but also don't want it to sound like they're a 2nd choice. Thanks!

• 🏆
    Reactions: axelbeugre and Sharon Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.