Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
when firms reject you with "Your application was of a good standard and we would welcome an application from you in the next recruitment cycle" is that standard, or is that specific from person to person?
It will be sent to multiple people, but is unlikely to be sent to those whose application didn’t meet a certain standard.

I would take the encouragement to apply again in the future if the firm still interests you.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
does anyone have advice for telephone interviews?

this is my first ever one so any guidance would be so great!
First of all congratulations in getting a telephone interview, that is really impressive!

I shared some tips on them in this post: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-175293

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151752

Additionally, some other posts which can be helpful are: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-175602

Good luck with the interview!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
when firms reject you with "Your application was of a good standard and we would welcome an application from you in the next recruitment cycle" is that standard, or is that specific from person to person?
More often than not it is an automatic email even though it does not look like that. I guess it depends from firm to firm. But generally speaking, they are automatic messages.

Reactions: lookingforaTC

Heartofglass

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2023
Hi Jessica, I recently applied for the American Express summer internship. I want to ask, from your experience as a graduate recruitment, how long will it usually take for a company to reply to their successful candidates? Because AMEX would not contact unsuccessful candidate, I really hope to get an estimate of when I should hear back so that I can book my plane ticket back home accordingly.

Reactions: Amehta1

NW Law

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Just got an email now. Anyone else doing the spring scheme going to be affected by the tube strikes on Monday?
    I'm not too badly impacted as I'm coming from Westminster but might be worth speaking to grad as they might be able to extend their cover to all forms of transport? I know TfL are in talks today to see if they're going to call it off, but might be worth dropping them an email to see if they're doing anything unique during it.

Reactions: lawtab

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I recently applied for the American Express summer internship. I want to ask, from your experience as a graduate recruitment, how long will it usually take for a company to reply to their successful candidates? Because AMEX would not contact unsuccessful candidate, I really hope to get an estimate of when I should hear back so that I can book my plane ticket back home accordingly.
    There’s no set timeframes unfortunately - it really varies from employer to employer, and even cycle to cycle due to all the variables that can influence the process

Milpasoak

Mar 20, 2022
    Thanks so much Jessica. It’s really made me feel better. I have always struggled with perfectionism and putting lots of pressure on myself, so it’s comforting to know that as you say in a pressured situation like a short interview, absolutely perfect answers are a rare occurrence. I think a self care evening is in order for me to pick myself up and not be a nervous wreck until I find out the result 😌
    It's always easy to look at the negatives as is human nature and underestimate how well you really did! If you don't mind my asking, what questions did they ask in the Browne Jacobson telephone interview - I assume why law, why BJ but what else?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.