TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
Why are we getting so many law firms saying they got unprecedented number of apps? Just off my head, I can remember that SH, Akin, Cooley, Dechert all said this. Are they being nice to not hurt applicants feeling, are some firms just getting more visibility or is the number of career seeker in the legal industry increasing in general? Genuine curiosity🧐
At the AC Ropes & Gray said they had 650 apps last cycle; 1100 this cycle

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
At the AC Ropes & Gray said they had 650 apps last cycle; 1100 this cycle
That's a crazy jump. But this seems to be not an abnormal amount for what firms receive. National firms rake in higher applications than this. Maybe people are just more ambitious with their applications with there no longer being a minimum requirement for a levels for a lot of firms.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Lawapplication

Standard Member
Jan 29, 2024
Do recruitment teams change each year or do they remain with the same people for some period of time? I applied for something last year, but I completely underperformed in the final stage/my interview (it objectively was horrific on my part!) and I would like to reapply this year but I feel embarrassed to- because I’m worried that they’ll remember how bad I was.

It sounds egotistical to think they would remember me, but I really was such a mess that it was laughable. I’m just a bit worried about it : (
Thank you so much to everyone who responded! : )

midnightsky990422

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 10, 2023
@Jessica Booker hi Jessica, i had a telephone interview yesterday and I don’t know if I’m overthinking but, at the end of the interview I was not asked if I had any questions. I was wondering if that’s probably a common thing to happen since phone interviews are short and should stick to the allotted time, or if I should have spoken up before the interviewer ended the call and asked questions either way

VS for me.
I heard last Friday for VS

Reactions: sm99

jasonbourne

• Feb 9, 2024
    Hey guys I still haven’t heard back post-AC from White & Case. I wanna send them an email asking for an update but I’m not sure if they’re open tomorrow (or for half day) as it’s Good Friday. Do you think it’s worth sending an email tomorrow or should I wait after the Easter break?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys I still haven’t heard back post-AC from White & Case. I wanna send them an email asking for an update but I’m not sure if they’re open tomorrow (or for half day) as it’s Good Friday. Do you think it’s worth sending an email tomorrow or should I wait after the Easter break?
    No one will be back until Tuesday 2 April at the earliest now.

Reactions: jasonbourne

BrunoLevi

Aug 7, 2023
    My assessment score

Above Average x 4 and Average x1
    I have an AC next week and had average x4 and above average x1. A friend of mine did better than me in that same test, similar score to you, but didn't get through either. From what I've gathered they didn't care about your grade so long as you passed their minimum benchmark. It was entirely dependent on your answers to the scenarios and if it correlated with what they wanted to see in a trainee.

Reactions: safari3

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
    Mar 25, 2024
    I have an AC next week and had average x4 and above average x1. A friend of mine did better than me in that same test, similar score to you, but didn't get through either. From what I've gathered they didn't care about your grade so long as you passed their minimum benchmark. It was entirely dependent on your answers to the scenarios and if it correlated with what they wanted to see in a trainee.
    I didn’t even make the job sim though

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.