TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
Just a question for some advice.

I'm going to be spending a week with a law firm completing an internship. They have a training contract deadline coming up soon before I start. Do you think it is worth applying the TC?

I didn't apply for a Vac Scheme because the type of firm was not on my radar - in terms of their practice focus, location and academic expectations. I never thought I would have a competitive application as I am a non-law graduate who has around average/above average grades with only volunteer experience and part-time work in hospitality. I think what works in my favour is perhaps diversity and social mobility but again the weighting on that is not something to rely on a lot.

I know one week is not a substantial amount of time so I have a lot of hesitancy applying after considering this. But seeing as I have made it this far, do you think I should keep on pushing?

I just feel unprepared for what the TC is demanding and my application is perhaps not as competitive. My academics are decent but by no means stellar. Based on their previous A - level requirements I am 1 grade off what they desired. However, all they ask for now is a "good academic history and a 2:1". As I said before, I lack legal experience, but this is changing with the internship I will complete with them.

These are just my concerns at the minute. I know the query can only be answered with sending an application in but I'm thinking maybe it is better to apply after completing a formal vac scheme with them? (this is dependent on me securing one of course!) Or should I at least apply after having a legal job for a substantial amount of time, such as an admin assistant for a law firm?

Interested in any thoughts!

Reactions: tcla888

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Just a question for some advice.

I'm going to be spending a week with a law firm completing an internship. They have a training contract deadline coming up soon before I start. Do you think it is worth applying the TC?

I didn't apply for a Vac Scheme because the type of firm was not on my radar - in terms of their practice focus, location and academic expectations. I never thought I would have a competitive application as I am a non-law graduate who has around average/above average grades with only volunteer experience and part-time work in hospitality. I think what works in my favour is perhaps diversity and social mobility but again the weighting on that is not something to rely on a lot.

I know one week is not a substantial amount of time so I have a lot of hesitancy applying after considering this. But seeing as I have made it this far, do you think I should keep on pushing?

I just feel unprepared for what the TC is demanding and my application is perhaps not as competitive. My academics are decent but by no means stellar. Based on their previous A - level requirements I am 1 grade off what they desired. However, all they ask for now is a "good academic history and a 2:1". As I said before, I lack legal experience, but this is changing with the internship I will complete with them.

These are just my concerns at the minute. I know the query can only be answered with sending an application in but I'm thinking maybe it is better to apply after completing a formal vac scheme with them? (this is dependent on me securing one of course!) Or should I at least apply after having a legal job for a substantial amount of time, such as an admin assistant for a law firm?

Interested in any thoughts!
    Just apply you have nothing to lose

Nine

Standard Member
    Feb 15, 2024
    Has anyone heard back from GB yet? I’ve emailed them at the start of the week and I’ve had no response? It’s surprising because I have not seen a load of offers on LinkedIn either and someone on this thread said the Dubai office hasn’t responded either, but if anyone has had previous experience with them please let me know :)

midnightsky990422

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 10, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker @Jaysen @axelbeugre I had my Browne Jacobson telephone interview yesterday and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it and it’s safe to say that today… the wheels have fallen off the wagon, if you get me 😭😭 I gave good detailed answers for why law and I listed 4 skills and elaborated on them for the attributes of a solicitor, but it was just a couple of the other questions I’m not sure if my answers had enough depth and confidence… I don’t know if I’m overthinking it as my interview actually was 23 minutes instead of 15 as the interviewer said they didn’t have another slot straight after me so we didn’t have to rush, so maybe my answers would have been ok given that it was meant to be shorter anyway. I’m just gutted as I’ve thought of better things to say since and I really love Browne Jacobson as a firm… worried I’ve blown this one 😭😭😭

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker @Jaysen @axelbeugre I had my Browne Jacobson telephone interview yesterday and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it and it’s safe to say that today… the wheels have fallen off the wagon, if you get me 😭😭 I gave good detailed answers for why law and I listed 4 skills and elaborated on them for the attributes of a solicitor, but it was just a couple of the other questions I’m not sure if my answers had enough depth and confidence… I don’t know if I’m overthinking it as my interview actually was 23 minutes instead of 15 as the interviewer said they didn’t have another slot straight after me so we didn’t have to rush, so maybe my answers would have been ok given that it was meant to be shorter anyway. I’m just gutted as I’ve thought of better things to say since and I really love Browne Jacobson as a firm… worried I’ve blown this one 😭😭😭
    You are making automatic negative assumptions, most likely through over thinking it.

I suspect in your case you are over fixating on your perceptions of the situation (which are negative).

No candidate has perfect answers throughout an interview. You have highlighted some elements you think have gone well. I would recommend at least taking those into consideration before assuming this is going to be a negative outcome.

midnightsky990422

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 10, 2023
    You are making automatic negative assumptions, most likely through over thinking it.

I suspect in your case you are over fixating on your perceptions of the situation (which are negative).

No candidate has perfect answers throughout an interview. You have highlighted some elements you think have gone well. I would recommend at least taking those into consideration before assuming this is going to be a negative outcome.
    Thanks so much Jessica. It’s really made me feel better. I have always struggled with perfectionism and putting lots of pressure on myself, so it’s comforting to know that as you say in a pressured situation like a short interview, absolutely perfect answers are a rare occurrence. I think a self care evening is in order for me to pick myself up and not be a nervous wreck until I find out the result 😌

tanamontana

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 28, 2023
    Kind of a silly question but if a firm says ‘2026 training contract’, does this mean that the training with the firm starts in 2026 (and Sqe starts in 2025) or that the SQE starts in 2026? And is this usually September, January or either

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Kind of a silly question but if a firm says ‘2026 training contract’, does this mean that the training with the firm starts in 2026 (and Sqe starts in 2025) or that the SQE starts in 2026? And is this usually September, January or either
    Will usually mean when you start employment - so for most firms this will be when your qualifying work experience starts rather than your SQE studies

Reactions: tanamontana

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    I feel like a fraud for getting a vac scheme. Its been less than few weeks since the ac but i cant seem to remember all the stuff i learned for the AC. Feels like i got it by luck and im scared now that ill get exposed for being a fraud and wont be able to convert it. What if i dont know anything and cant do any tasks they set me

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen

trainee2025

Star Member
    Nov 3, 2020
    I feel like a fraud for getting a vac scheme. Its been less than few weeks since the ac but i cant seem to remember all the stuff i learned for the AC. Feels like i got it by luck and im scared now that ill get exposed for being a fraud and wont be able to convert it. What if i dont know anything and cant do any tasks they set me
    I don’t think this is a fair outlook. You’ve done extremely well to get the VS - City firms have robust recruitment procedures with many stages that really prevent ‘luck’ from having any serious role.
    The preparation that you did for the AC will be useful for other interviews and the VS itself, but even then, a lot of the research that you might have done and your current perceptions of the firm will likely soon be usurped by your experiences on the VS.
    In terms of tasks on the VS, I wouldn’t worry about this now. VS tasks might seem daunting but ultimately firms understand that you are (probably?) a student or recent graduate as opposed to a fee earning solicitor and adjust their expectations accordingly.
    For the time being I would focus on enjoying the success of getting a VS and, if applicable, focus on any other ongoing recruitment processes. Closer to the scheme, you can maybe think about preparing for the scheme a bit and there are some great resources on this site to help with that.

Giovani

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 25, 2024
    Sorry for asking so many things, but will the result of this test affect my chances of getting an AC? Although they have mentioned in the email that the test report of this assessment will not include the outcome of the application

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.